Had a chunky one today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 blazer 4.3L.... I changed its oil 4 years ago. And only 400 miles since! Came in with a bad spider injector. Oil looked brand new still.

When I pulled the plug nothing came out.

Had to poke it with a screwdriver to get the oil to drain. Fram filter while ugly did it's best.oil filter was very heavy so I hacked it open. The paper was so brittle that it crumbled in my hand.

This lady has health problems and apparently only does short trips. 2-3 blocks max. Gotta get her in more often!

IMG_20181016_101823.jpg

IMG_20181016_101830.jpg

IMG_20181016_101835.jpg

IMG_20181016_101849.jpg

IMG_20181016_101858.jpg

That filter was about gone-definitely needs a metal end cap filter, preferably at least a syn blend filter. She needs to get that OCI down to a year or so. 100 miles a year? Using Uber or Lyft would be cheaper (factoring insurance, plates, etc.)!

This is why I give my 86 year old aunt down in Cincinnati credit. Her 02 Accord purchased new gets oil changes from the dealer every 6 months. And runs like a top with about 80k on it, purchased new. Although the paint job(gold) has seen better days. The finish is kind of dull and sits under a carport.

I had to check the forum subsection to make sure this wasnt a poop joke.

Then I saw someone pooped in the filter.

No really that is gross!

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
This is why I give my 86 year old aunt down in Cincinnati credit. Her 02 Accord purchased new gets oil changes from the dealer every 6 months. And runs like a top with about 80k on it, purchased new. Although the paint job(gold) has seen better days. The finish is kind of dull and sits under a carport.
UV protected under a carport? Something else is going on, that paint should be above average.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I was hoping the Chunky candy bars were making a come back. Oh well.
Lol, I remember those, 90s nostalgia!

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Oil looked brand new but was all goo?

Yep. Was either proline or napa oil. Most likely proline since napa does not sell fram filters. I don't think any filter would have been any better at this point.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Oil looked brand new still.........Had to poke it with a screwdriver to get the oil to drain.

Please explain - - how was this possible?

I was somewhat interested in a 5 year old Kubota with 80 hours on it, but quickly turned around when I saw it had the factory filter. No thanks.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The paper was so brittle that it crumbled in my hand.

I assume the paper was made brittle by the acids in the oil.

I have to think there is some contamination here, maybe coolant? Even over 4 years, with that low mileage oil should not goop up like that.

I wonder what her air filter looks like?

Last edited:
I thought he was referring to a BM after Taco Bell, so even this Fram was a relief. You should have poured a pint of sand into the valvecover to put this thing out of its misery before the next 400 mile OCI.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I thought he was referring to a BM after Taco Bell, so even this Fram was a relief. You should have poured a pint of sand into the valvecover to put this thing out of its misery before the next 400 mile OCI.

Haha! I wouldnt touch anything else on the engine after seeing that filter

The contamination was a ton of condensation from the extremely short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back