Windows 10 1809 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Throt
Oh what I'd give for just an updated version of Win7. Best one they ever made. XP, solid. Vista, junk. 7, solid. 8, disaster. 9, they forgot this #. 10, eh.

I miss my iMac.

Worst Windows was Windows Me.

I have heard that feature update 1809 is really pushing Edge and other browsers have had problems after the update due to MS intentionally creating ways to move users to Edge

Updated yesterday by simply going to windows update. No problems so far other than suddenly Chrome doesn't like windows classic shell. That might just be a coincidence but it's never come up prior to the update.

Originally Posted by Spector
I have heard that feature update 1809 is really pushing Edge and other browsers have had problems after the update due to MS intentionally creating ways to move users to Edge

This is happening in 7 too. My work PC runs it and it converted my search and home page settings in Chrome and Firefox to their own stuff. I fixed Firefox and then later closed it, opened it the next day and the settings had been changed again. Gonna get mad if it doesnt stop changing settings like a virus.

I gave up on the errors caused by Windows 10 in the HP 6300 Pro. Using it now with Linux, no problems. Put 10 drive in Optiplex 755, then reinstalled. No problems except the Firefox as default browser changing to Edge the next time you use Firefox. Next, they will be posting a message...you will be assimilated.
smirk.gif

I'm still getting updates for Version 1803 and I keep Windows Updates activated 24/7.
These 2 below I just received this week.
2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4458469)
2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)

I was one of the lucky ones that took the 1809 update and didn't suffer any real consequences. The biggest problem I faced is that the update install was running in the background after the obligatory multiple reboots without any notification and the PC was slow as snot. That process took close to 45 minutes and my only clue was the HDD activity light. The CPU was so bogged down that it prompted Firefox to tell me it was running slow and asked if I wanted to do a "refresh" (or something like that). I stupidly said yes and it removed all my addons, settings and bookmarks (I was able to restore much of it with firefox sync). A couple of weeks in and everything is running normally.

This update broke every single HP Elitedesk 800 G3 SFF that I've come across and that I've read online. Causes the PC to BSOD without any luck rolling back to the previous configuration or booting into safe mode. Luckily one system admin found that all that was needed to fix it was to delete a file in the \\system32\drivers if you were able to read the drive contents through another PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back