Timing for boarding pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
The airlines states that I get a board pass on-line but, not before 24 hours before the flight departs.. Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I log on the the airline and request my pass one minute after the site is open or 10 hours before the flight? I wonder about seating priorities on SW Airline. Ed

Do it with 23:59 remaining. You get a better boarding position and might find an overhead bin remaining.

There may be browser plug-ins that let you "snipe" this position.

With Southwest, it is better to check in as early as possible so you can get a better spot in the boarding line...and a better seat.

I used to play that lottery and got tired of it. SW has EarlyBird Check-In, for a fee you're guaranteed "A" boarding. SW is usually the best option for me between Phx and Pit and it was too frustrating trying to get the timing just perfect.

As noted with Southwest it's very much first come first serve, so unless you have A-list status or paid the few bucks for the Early Bird check in you'll want to do it as quickly as you can at the 24 hour mark. Like, use the app or website and do it within seconds - lots of other people are sitting around doing the same.

The other airlines as best I can tell use different systems to determine their boarding groups and I don't think there's much advantage to checking in early.

jeff

Use your phone to check-in. American sends a notification at the 24 hour mark. Can't remember what SW does but I think it's similar.

You'll get a better seat (American lets you pick) and a better boarding group the earlier you check in. Also, if the flight is oversold and you check in at the last minute you're at risk of getting bumped.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
How do you determine 23:59:59? Computer display, cell phone, national atomic clock?

Just to follow-up I use my cell phone and computer, whichever one ticks over last.1 second too early may put you into re-inputting your info, and than you lose like 15 - 20 seconds. Ask me how I know ...

We flew Southwest from ATL to Austin in July. I couldn't believe how many people have time to sit around and be at a computer or holding the phone, waiting to click at 23:59 hours before their flight boards.

The day before the first leg, I was about 5 seconds late and we were B29 and B30.

The return trip I felt like I hit the jackpot and we were B14 and B15.

A-list was $40/each, extra, just to be able to be 15-40 people farther ahead in line. Yeah, sign me up...

Flying commercial is such a pain today. It's a shame how people act towards each other in an airport, on a plane, etc. No better example of "it's all about me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back