New Pressure Washer Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Karcher 3200psi/3 GPM pressure washer with axial cam pump has given me tremendous service for the past ~15 yrs. And it gets used often. But, I fear its days are now numbered. I can and will likely spend a little on maintenance (main issue right now is sticky unloader valve that either needs a good cleaning/lubing or replacing...not a huge deal).
But, I am also entertaining the idea of a new washer that will last me until the time I am too old to care about doing any pressure washing on my own.
My wish list for my 'perfect' pressure washer:
1) Engine: Honda would be first choice. GC series would be fine, but the better washers often move up to a GX series. Subaru-Robins would be acceptable too (what I currently have). Actually, about any brand has an engine that would be acceptable. One issue that was brought to my attention in a washer review is that manufacturers of the units often exaggerate the PSI/GPM. If you look up pump specs there are units out there that could not possibly put out the pressure/flow that is advertised due to lack of engine horsepower. Some pumps with non-adjustable pressure have been 'tuned' down to match what the engine can handle. Or so the story goes. I did look up 1 CAT pump that was advertised to put out 3.0 gpm, but the pump spec on the CAT website rated it at 2.7 gpm.
2) Frame: Not too picky, but all things being equal, would choose aluminum. Would like to have oversized no-flat tires. storage for hose and sprayer would be nice. Some units do not have storage for anything other than sprayer tips.
3) Pump: Triplex. Why? Because I want a commercial entry level pump. Prefer Cat or GP. But, there are better deals on rigs outfitted with AR, AAA (Comet)and others. Being a homeowner application, those 'lesser' pumps would likely still be overkill for me. But I will hang out for a CAT as long as I can. Must allow for easy oil change. I change my current pump oil at least twice per year....the oil tends to start getting a little wet (milky) after several hours of use. Could be a tiny leak in pump itself, or could be picking up atmospheric water thru the breather vent (which is just a small hole in the plastic oil filler cap), or a little of both. Would like to have thermal relief protection as well as adjustable pressure. But, adjustable pressure is not a biggie since I find it quicker on my current washer to just adjust engine speed to get pressure I need for the job (yeah, yeah, some will say that running at reduced RPM may cause hi temperature problems....never seen it myself tho...but I change engine oil often and use xw40 so a period of running elevated temps will not likely cause oil related issues)
4) Hose: 50ft of woven steel reinforced 3/8" hose with quick connects.
5) Spray handle/nozzle. not picky. Have a couple at home already. Also have a 16" surface cleaner, a turbo nozzle, and plenty of spare spray tips.

Engine, pump, hose, frame. Did I miss anything?
Any tips for selecting a pro-sumer or entry commercial unit? I have been primarily researching on Pressure Washers direct dot com. There are some Pressure-Pro and Simpson units that meet MOST of the criteria above.
As for cost, let's say max of $800.
Usage? Just general homeowner use: House washing, car washing (carefully), driveway/sidewalk washing, ATV washing, etc.

Originally Posted By: Rand
you have 2 ways to go.

Cheap would be the 219$ subaru engine with axial pump at sam's club

not so cheap they have a simpson 549$
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/simpson-pow...?navAction=push

triplex pump and honda gx200
others have it down around 500$ range but usually not honda engine.

Yeah, I have seen that Simpson unit at a couple of other websites. Has the AAA pump. That same unit with a CAT pump would be ~$100 more. One thing I am trying to get answered is whether the CAT is $100 better for my application. Probably not for my non-commercial usage. Decisions, decisions.
Another thing I have read is that on some of these pro-sumer level units, the manufacturer has a pump spec'd just for them. That way, all parts have to come from the unit manufacturer instead of the pump manufacturer. And the unit manufacturer may drop parts availability after a few years to force new purchases. Not a proven fact...just what I have read from commercial pressure washing guys.

My troy-bilt with axial cam pump is over 8 years old and still going.

Usually gets at least 20hours a year sometimes substantially more.

Unless you are using it weekly for 10+hours I think the 549$ would last.

Yeah, I'm definitely going overkill on the spec's. It's a sickness. Most OPE I purchase these days is pro-sumer or entry commercial stuff. I just like the feel of it.
The Subaru engine IS running very well. Always has. If the Karcher axial pump is truly on its last legs (no reason to think it is about to die tho...I'm just guessing that it likely beyond its design life based on a LOT of usage in past 15 years), I could go purchase another pump just like it for <$200 and might be good to go for another 15 yrs.

Cheap route is a new pump on eBay. I found out they are pretty much universal ad you can buy a new pump for about $75 shipped if the motor is still good.

If you buy new, get one with a horizontal engine. Name brand engine and pump.

Doesn't Karcher make a lot of the fittings odd ball sizes so you can only use Karcher attachments?

I would first consider a new pump from EBAY.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you buy new, get one with a horizontal engine. Name brand engine and pump.

Doesn't Karcher make a lot of the fittings odd ball sizes so you can only use Karcher attachments?

I would first consider a new pump from EBAY.

Definitely want name brand engine/pump. Preferably Honda/CAT. At least on my old Karcher, fittings were standard M22, so no problems adding accessories. BUT, I think their pumps are proprietary, meaning I would have to go thru Karcher to get pump parts. Heck, the pump may go several more years before dying. This washer shopping is just a mental exercise right now.

I have an Excell Devill-bliss (spelling?) with a Honda engine and Anovi Rebrever(Spelling?) AR pump that is 14 years old and runs like new. It was made for commercial use and was around $1000-$1200 I think when new. So far so good!

I have been researching pressure washers for the past couple of months and finally purchased one yesterday. Got the simpson ps3435 it hast the Honda gx200 engine 2.5 gpm and 3400 psi. Ended up buy it from local tractor supply company. They had it on an add for $530 (normally $600). Cheapeast the I could find online was closer to $700

I have the 3800 PSI dewalt branded unit from Home Depot. Honda GX270 and some italian pump on it. Power is almost too much. It is a serious machine, probably more than i need, but its fun.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I have the 3800 PSI dewalt branded unit from Home Depot. Honda GX270 and some italian pump on it. Power is almost too much. It is a serious machine, probably more than i need, but its fun.

The pump is probably an AR pump if it's Italian. Good pump.

Wow this thread is back from the dead by a sales spam, so i will plug the washer i would love to buy now. You know that Obsessed Garage guy on You Tube? he sells those Kranzle electric units that he had somewhat customized for car cleaning use. It seems like a total luxury item to have instant on off pressure with no engine to mess with. i still have my Dewalt 3800 and its still a beast, but its hard to shut it off and start it up for the car wash process. Someday, when i have too much money, i will buy that wall mounted pressure washer he sells. Not the piping, i can do that for less, but that electric washer would be sweet!

I've been using a Hotsy Shark with 11hp B&S I/C and Hawk pump since the 1990's. It gets a full day of use 2 times a month or so for jobs. Rebuilt the carb 1 time. It runs noticeably better with a little Lucas or Supertech UCL in the fuel. Change to oil when I feel like it. Use 30wt ND oil in the pump. A cheap trick is to flush the water out of the pump with window washer fluid if it is going to sit for a while.
Hotsy aren't cheap but defiantly last.

Last edited:
I would go for a BE or similar with a CAT pump. I use the one that is run by a belt. The pump runs much cooler because it is away from the engine. It does come with a Honda GX390 engine. Try www. pwmall. com. Stay away from big box stores unless you want a homeowner pressure washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back