Status
Not open for further replies.
http://imgur.com/gallery/HHQDJjn
History M 1 0w40 for first 45,000 miles
Castrol 0w40 last 4000 miles
New air filter once a year
Plugs changed 10,000 miles ago
Recent PCV : Done in general maintenance
Oil changed every 4k : Do to many short trips under 20 miles.
Last fuel fill up added techron : Before the picture was taken
I drive conservative , should i beat on it more , To clean up the carbon on piston ?

Isn't this the engine with the plastic intake manifold? From what I remember seeing on the Humble Mechanic channel on YT (very savy guy), the IM, coolant reservoir an camshafts are the parts more prone to kicking the bucket.

IIRC they recalled 90k+ cars with the 1.8 and 2.0 years 2015 and 2016 because of the camshafts thingy.

Yes their was a recall 3 years ago . For some reason the 1.8 does not have the problems the 2.0 does . These are gen. 3 engines . previous were trouble prone i guess . Humble Mechanic is real good , most his vids are on the first 2 generation engines .

Last edited:
Honestly I am not seeing anything that would be an issue, it doesn't appear to be stone hard hard carbon or very thick, a little carbon is not a bad thing, it protects the piston somewhat from minor detonation events.
Unless it becomes an issue like knocking at idle like the N* or raising the compression to the point it raises the fuel octane requirement its the last thing in the world I am worried about.

Keeping the OCI short as you are doing will keep the ring lands and pistons clean, I would be more concerned about deposits behind the intake valves more than the piston head. Letting the rpm's get up there on the highway even if you need to drop a gear to get to say 5K rpm for a few minutes helps but there is no reason to beat the thing.

Thanks for the reply Trav . What i do occasionally is put the auto trans. In manual mode and run at 3200 rpm for a duration to try to burn alittle carbon . I also have used the CRC GDI intake clearner to help the valves from getting to crusty . Thanks again for looking.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Thanks for the reply Trav . What i do occasionally is put the auto trans. In manual mode and run at 3200 rpm for a duration to try to burn alittle carbon . I also have used the CRC GDI intake clearner to help the valves from getting to crusty . Thanks again for looking.

That's fine, don't worry about it any more or get crazy with additives and 2 stroke oils, A good PEA cleaner once every 3-5K is all its needs at most, its in fine shape just doing what you are doing.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Run TCW-3!

No, don't put Marine 2 cycle oil in your modern gasoline engine...

That's not what he's saying, though he was not very clear.

He was recommending to run TC-W3 in your fuel in place of other fuel additives.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Run TCW-3!

Well i dont claim to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen but i wouldn't think putting oil in gas that already has oil droplets on the piston is a good thing .

Originally Posted by JustN89
Run TCW-3!

Well i dont claim to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen but i wouldn't think putting oil in gas that already has oil droplets on the piston is a good thing .

TC-W3 is ashless, so it will not cause build-up. It also contains detergents that will help clean existing deposits. In theory, it also helps keep the fuel pump and fuel injectors lubricated.

I drive conservative , should i beat on it more , To clean up the carbon on piston ?

Beat it more.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Beat it more.

Funny guy lol

LOL, all Euro cars like to be driven fast. Do not forget, engine is developed by German engineers not suburban soccer mom's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back