Walmart raised tire install to $15. For tires not bought from Walmart, it's $25

Originally Posted by Eddie
Is the Walmart price includes balancing?
According to the WM website, it does include lifetime balancing & rotation for that price. It is funny, too, that the extra fee applies to WM Marketplace tires as well as outside purchases. I've actually been working out deals with a customer of mine that has a shop to do them, I just don't trust the TLEs in this area enough to handle it (esp. alloys) without screwing them up.

Last edited:
What would WM charge to mount 13 inch wide 25 series 20 inch run flat tires? That would be a bargain for 2 hours+ of labor. So many tires and wheels are getting very difficult to work on in many ways. If every car ran something like a 205/65-15 on a steel wheel, I would love to do them all day long for much less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by SeaJay
What does it take to install a set of tires, 20 minutes or so? If that is correct, $25 translates to $75 an hour. Enough for a shop owner to make a living, not enough to get rich.

Have you ever installed tires before? Guessing not.

If you're knocking out 4 tires mounted and balanced in 20 minutes, you'd make plenty of money - you might even be worth $75/hr!

Yeah. 20 minutes if NASCAR crew did the M & B of 4 tires.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by SeaJay
What does it take to install a set of tires, 20 minutes or so? If that is correct, $25 translates to $75 an hour. Enough for a shop owner to make a living, not enough to get rich.

Have you ever installed tires before? Guessing not.

If you're knocking out 4 tires mounted and balanced in 20 minutes, you'd make plenty of money - you might even be worth $75/hr!

Yeah. 20 minutes if NASCAR crew did the M & B of 4 tires.

I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to mount race tires with inner safety liners, even though they are 15 inch steel wheels. And balanced to run over 200mph.
The worst tires I've ever worked on were 15 in Goodyear cantilever sidewall road racing slicks. A 10 inch wide race tire built to fit on a 7 inch wide wheel. Easy mounting apparently wasn't part of their design parameters.

Last edited:
I've done 4 tires mounted and balanced in 20 minutes or less, if its steel wheels, no hub caps, 13-15" wheels, no TPMS, plenty of sidewall.

Just buy your own tire equipment and install for free at home if you don't like paying whatever the tire shop markets currently charge. Seems like $1750 on ebay will get you a chinesium tire mounter and tire balancer machine.

Originally Posted by dishdude
If you don't have a Discount Tire around, I feel for you.

Well my Discount Tire doesn't do tire alignments so they don't get my business.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by dishdude
If you don't have a Discount Tire around, I feel for you.

Well my Discount Tire doesn't do tire alignments so they don't get my business.

Neither does Walmart.

Harbor freight tire changer is about $40-100, I got mine on clearance

Yes does take a while to mount unmount a tire with a pry bar set but it's worth it to avoid talking heads at the tire shop.

That said I still do bigger tires at a local place only $10 a tread

It's like $10/wheel at my local NTB to swap out the tires and then my local ford dealer swaps out the wheels and rotation for free when I go in for an oil change.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Harbor freight tire changer is about $40-100, I got mine on clearance

Yes does take a while to mount unmount a tire with a pry bar set but it's worth it to avoid talking heads at the tire shop.

That said I still do bigger tires at a local place only $10 a tread

I bought my HF tire changer for $40-something dollars. I have changed about a dozen or so tires with it under a years time. I can probably do the whole process in 3-5 minutes a tire, as long as its off the car and ready to go. That little guy has saved me a bit of money.

I don't care if Walmart will mount and balance for life and for free I won't use them. I was there over 4 hours for scheduled mount and balance with an appt. Had E load range tires put on my truck. They said their air pressure doesn't go to 80 psi. I said fine go as high as it goes. They did 35 psi. The truck was all over the road. And the balance was way off. They used the new horrible non lead weights and used a bunch. And put on rubber valve stems instead of metal. Had to have them rebalanced elsewhere. They stripped off the joke fake weights and put on real lead ones, and a lot less. And the vibration was gone.

I'm surprised your Walmart actually schedules tire/lube appointments. Every one by me is first come, first served. I've only used them a few times and it's always a 2-3hr wait.

My closest mom/pop tire shop just jumped on this bandwagon. They just charged me $80+ tax to mount my mail-order snow tires. If you buy the tires from them, they *only* charge you $60 for a set of 4. They had been charging $60 for years regardless of where the tire came from.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
My closest mom/pop tire shop just jumped on this bandwagon. They just charged me $80+ tax to mount my mail-order snow tires. If you buy the tires from them, they *only* charge you $60 for a set of 4. They had been charging $60 for years regardless of where the tire came from.
frown.gif

$80 might seem like a lot, but they could probably make $100 plus if you bought the tires from them. I would love to take my own steak into the nearest steakhouse and ask them to cook it for me for $5. Plus hardly anything anymore has the good ole 14-16 inch tire to mount with clip-on weights which are a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by JTK
frown.gif

$80 might seem like a lot, but they could probably make $100 plus if you bought the tires from them. I would love to take my own steak into the nearest steakhouse and ask them to cook it for me for $5. Plus hardly anything anymore has the good ole 14-16 inch tire to mount with clip-on weights which are a piece of cake.

That's a poor analogy because a snow tire changeover (to one set of rims, thanks TPMS) is an expected service of a tire shop. Since they last a few years there will be times when tires are getting switched with no other work being done.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by JTK
frown.gif

That's a poor analogy because a snow tire changeover (to one set of rims, thanks TPMS) is an expected service of a tire shop. Since they last a few years there will be times when tires are getting switched with no other work being done.

Agreed. Even at $60 this service should be a money maker for the shop. It took one tech about 20min and their normal hourly labor rate is $80/hr. I actually paid $92 all in thanks to state sales tax and a $5 tire tax for them to toss two of my tires due to them being shot (my request). Oh.. and these are 16" tires where clip on weights can be used.

Last edited:
Back