2013 GM 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father got tired of taking Equinox to the local garage for oil changes w conv oil. He wants me to service it. OK no big deal. Last Feb I changed the oil to QSUD 5-30 and fram ultra filter. The filter location is a pita to install btw. Gonna change out the oil soon but keep the ultra filter on. What oil should I use? I have heard that the 3.6 GM has timing chain wear problems so...?

Any synthetic that is d1g2 will be fine
smile.gif

Napa has their house brand synthetic on sale for $3.99/qt

Find oil with the Dexos symbol. This engine is VERY hard on oil. I recommend oil changes of 5000 miles or less. Even then, expect a $2500 bill to replace all the timing components.

GM should fire the idiot who thought that was a good design and bring back the 3.8.

Another example of how marketing executives and auto magazine writers are your enemy. My ole Buick with the 3.8 has plenty of get up and go, gets 30 mpg highway. The 3.6 (now sold) was slightly faster, and only got 27 best ever. The 3.8 now has 140 K and I will keep it until it falls apart.BUT magazine panned the old technology engine with (gasp) pushrods and only 220 horsepower as noncompetitive. That and the magazines fixation on "soft touch" materials, or as I refer to it, stuff that is going to shrink, crack, split and look like [censored] in 5 years.
They do cars a disservice

Rod.

The oil life monitor is only on 49% since Feb. miles are around 4-5,000 currently. How can the OLM say it's only half way to be changed when I assume it is set for conv oil from the factory. I won't go by the OLM anyway but wow no wonder the 3.6 engines wear out with an OLM going, I assume to about 10,000 miles before it approaches 0%.

Originally Posted by ridgerunner
The oil life monitor is only on 49% since Feb. miles are around 4-5,000 currently. How can the OLM say it's only half way to be changed when I assume it is set for conv oil from the factory. I won't go by the OLM anyway but wow no wonder the 3.6 engines wear out with an OLM going, I assume to about 10,000 miles before it approaches 0%.

My wife's 2017 3.6 Impala is currently at 20% with only 5,000 km's on it, (3,100 miles) Most of her driving is short city type driving with a rare out of town type drive.
Her car calls for D1 oil but I have been using both PUP and PP 5W030. The PUP is only rated at D1 where as the PP is D1G2. I have no problems running both oils but when the stock of PUP is finished, I will likely stick to PP.

As far as I know, most/all chain case issues were 2012 and prior? Not saying to stretch your oil since his only reads 49%, but I do think you will be fine if you do?
My wife's car will get an oil/filter change either this month or early in the next one even though I know I could go much longer since it has synthetic in it.

Been doing oil change on my mother's 012 Impala since she bought it with 30k now she is at 125k
All oil changes have been Pennzoil Gold until last 2 have been Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 started at 5k but has been stretched to 8k lately. Oil life monitor was at 29% last time and she a quart down for the first time. No engine problems in 100k she has put on it. She refuses to do 100k service so we will see how long it will last as she does upwards of 400 miles per week. Always used AC Delco PF63E filter.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Find oil with the Dexos symbol. This engine is VERY hard on oil. I recommend oil changes of 5000 miles or less. Even then, expect a $2500 bill to replace all the timing components.

GM should fire the idiot who thought that was a good design and bring back the 3.8.

Another example of how marketing executives and auto magazine writers are your enemy. My ole Buick with the 3.8 has plenty of get up and go, gets 30 mpg highway. The 3.6 (now sold) was slightly faster, and only got 27 best ever. The 3.8 now has 140 K and I will keep it until it falls apart.BUT magazine panned the old technology engine with (gasp) pushrods and only 220 horsepower as noncompetitive. That and the magazines fixation on "soft touch" materials, or as I refer to it, stuff that is going to shrink, crack, split and look like [censored] in 5 years.

Rod.

I could go down many different roads with this post. The 3.8 is not viable because it will not pass emissions not power output.

.... What oil should I use? I have heard that the 3.6 GM has timing chain wear problems so...?
Recommend a high-moly, dexos1 oil (timing chain wear tests included in that spec). 5w30, and I'm not sure right now which 5w30 dexos1 oils have a ton of moly thrown in. (I know of several 0w20's with moly.) ... You could use a high moly Redline 5w30 or 0w30, since its famous for having 700 ppm moly. It would be nice if it had dexos1 certs, yet Redline is very good. Another (again without real certs!) is Amsoil SS 0w30 with high-ish moly (maybe 200 ppm moly) and Schaeffer 5w30 full syn at around 300 ppm moly, all very good oils with a good dose. ... Add the Hellcat oil to possibilites: 275 ppm moly, nice amount, in Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w40, also used in BMW motorsports, a good candidate.
Lots of moly is good for timing chains according to:
[Linked Image]

Link to Vanderbilt report

Last edited:
How can the OLM say it's only half way to be changed when I assume it is set for conv oil from the factory.

Does anyone know of a conventional oil that is Dexos D1 G2 rated?

Originally Posted by Danno
Does anyone know of a conventional oil that is Dexos D1 G2 rated?
There are none. Only synth blends, and they are rare. Pennzoil Gold 5w30 synthetic blend is dexos1 Gen2. Its too tough to pass all the performance tests using all GroupII.

Rod.

What buick do you have that gets 30 mpg? 20 is as good as it gets for me.

Father got tired of taking Equinox to the local garage for oil changes w conv oil.

The vehicle has been getting non-approved oil changes (conventional), probably to 0% on the OLM, on an engine that is tough on its oil.
I would run D1G2 oil to 5,000 miles, change the filter every oil change, and warn dad that due to previously using non-spec oil, you can't be responsible for excessive engine wear.

It's happened where the new maintenance guy has the new vehicle problem put on them, even family.

As stated these engine are hard on oil. I think most all of the timing chain issues were fixed by 2013. I had a 2013 traverse with the same motor and used napa 5w30 syn in it. I did a uoa and it had sheared down and had fuel dilution. I don't remember the mileage on the uoa but it made me stick with 5000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted by E150GT

Rod.

What buick do you have that gets 30 mpg? 20 is as good as it gets for me.
I scoffed at that as well in an old thread but multiple people claimed that high 20s low 30s was possible with the GM 3.8 in whatever Buick called their W Body cars at the time. 3.8 Buick official car of BITOG!

I would not be using shop bulk conventional in this engine... Nothing but a Dexos1Gen2 synthetic every 5K miles.

Last edited:
"I could go down many different roads with this post. The 3.8 is not viable because it will not pass emissions not power output."

The main reason GM abandoned the 3.8 was size. It was a 90° engine and to wide for current vehicles.

My 2¢

Father got tired of taking Equinox to the local garage for oil changes w conv oil.

The vehicle has been getting non-approved oil changes (conventional), probably to 0% on the OLM, on an engine that is tough on its oil.
I would run D1G2 oil to 5,000 miles, change the filter every oil change, and warn dad that due to previously using non-spec oil, you can't be responsible for excessive engine wear.

It's happened where the new maintenance guy has the new vehicle problem put on them, even family.

His OCI on conv. oil was every 3,000 miles old school. Never went by the OLM thank God. I have a bunch of Amsoil SS
0-20 for a couple of my vehicles but would rather not use it up on his plus it calls for 5-30.

His OCI on conv. oil was every 3,000 miles old school. Never went by the OLM thank God. I have a bunch of Amsoil SS
0-20 for a couple of my vehicles but would rather not use it up on his plus it calls for 5-30.

If you can't find a sale. House brand synthetic at 5K is easy to remember and you can sleep well at night. Your father may not if he is stuck on 3K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back