Dodge 62TE Lifetime Fluid...yep

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan with 79k. Just wanted to confirm for anyone who is wondering that, indeed, the OEM fluid is "lifetime." (sarcasm)
Transmission just crapped out and needs to be rebuilt/replaced, but the fluid level was good and it did "last" for the "lifetime" of the transmission - which is just a bit longer than the warranty period!
FWIW, this tranny had a clunky shift into Drive from very early on (dealers denied problem and ultimately we gave up fighting with them, which was a mistake) and ultimately failed with it overheating and losing 4th.

Getting quotes on a remanufactured unit.

Will be doing regular ATF changes from now on.
Is it worth it to add a Magnefine inline filter, or does that just invite new problems?

I think I would be at least trying an FCA zone manager if I had documented transmission issues early on that dealer service couldn't repair & resulted in failure. Here in OH they get 3 chances to fix it in a year, or you could force them to buy it back (Lemon Law). I personally HATE "stealers" & will do almost anything to avoid them!

We had a fleet of 95 of these at work and all survived well past that and I have 4 of these in the family with the highest having 300k on it so I think you just got a dud.

That said there is a filter inside the pan and it's quite easy to change. Ive done my dad's a couple times over its life.

My manual for the 2018 GC which is the same transmission as yours says to change it out at an interval and not considered filled for life. There is no dipstick but it does say to change it.

Wishing you all the best with the rebuilt.

Ugh that sucks!

I haven't read of too many issues with the 62TE. I've seen some claims of 3x that mileage as well.

I know when I owned our 2013 Grand Caravan with the pentastar and 62TE, I paid a local transmission shop to do a pan drop, filter change and refill at around 40K miles. We traded the van in at ~70K miles. All was fine with it.

Last edited:
This is our 3rd Grand Caravan (2001, 2013, 2016), and the others have been good, so yes, I agree, we just got the lemon.

I guess I should have been more clear about the "lifetime" fluid. I was just joking and being sarcastic.

The manual calls for a fluid change a 120K miles and says that, "the level is set at the factory and no adjustments should be needed under normal operation" (or something to that effect). Since this failed at 79k, well before the first change interval, I was just joking about it being "lifetime" fluid. I'm just trying to laugh instead of cry.

Originally Posted by StevieC

That said there is a filter inside the pan and it's quite easy to change. Ive done my dad's a couple times over its life.

Yes, I know about the pan filter. I was just curious about the consensus on the Magnefine inline. Is beneficial or just another potential point of failure?

(edit:typo)

Last edited:
I bought the Dorman dipstick with the temperature markings on it for my dad's back in 2012 when I was driving it and just check it cold.

I checked my 2018 as soon as I got it home from the dealer and will check it again when the break-in is complete just to be double sure.

So far it's operating perfectly but I intend to change the fluid regularly with the filter to keep it that way as I always laugh at lifetime fills and no dipsticks especially with FCA.

You should get an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug, so you can do frequent ATF changes. The best ATF to use is Redline C+ even though it not officially licensed by Chrysler. Redline C+ uses the same Lubrizol add pack from the licensed ATF+4 but with a group V ester base stock.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You should get an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug, so you can do frequent ATF changes. The best ATF to use is Redline C+ even though it not officially licensed by Chrysler. Redline C+ uses the same Lubrizol add pack from the licensed ATF+4 but with a group V ester base stock.

That's a good idea. I don't have a garage, so a messy pan drop just isn't that appealing. I've read good things about the Redline C+.

lifetime means until warranty is gone, then its your $$$$$ + manufacturers care LESS!!!!

Last time I priced a mail-order Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug for a 62TE, they were under $30 shipped. If you planned on keeping the van for a long time, I'd get one to the trans shop if you can. Sorry if I missed it, but what symptoms did this AT give? Did it strand you?

My 2013 GC with the 62TE is at 162K miles and is shifting the same as it did at 55K when I bought it, which is not great, just kind of clunky especially the shift between reverse and drive. I have changed the filter twice and drained and refilled it 5 times with the dorman pan with a drain. Sorry to hear about your failed transmission!

Welp, the fluid did last the life of the transmission!!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I think I would be at least trying an FCA zone manager if I had documented transmission issues early on that dealer service couldn't repair & resulted in failure.

This might be a good place to start, assuming the dealership left a paper trail.

If you have no luck with the dealer, I would contact clinebarger and take it to him if you're anywhere close.

Originally Posted by Oscar_Ruitt
My 2013 GC with the 62TE is at 162K miles and is shifting the same as it did at 55K when I bought it, which is not great, just kind of clunky especially the shift between reverse and drive. I have changed the filter twice and drained and refilled it 5 times with the dorman pan with a drain. Sorry to hear about your failed transmission!

They aren't the smoothest transmissions to begin with and when downshifting coming to a light under moderate breaking they have an unsure feeling.

So it seems you changed the ATF every 20k. What fluid are you using?

How often do you change the oil? I'd probably change the ATF every time I change the oil if I had one of those vans!
16.gif

5 year/100k mile warranty. Being probably just over 5 years old, maybe Dodge will step up to the plate and split the cost with you? It's worth a shot.

Originally Posted by JTK
Last time I priced a mail-order Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug for a 62TE, they were under $30 shipped. If you planned on keeping the van for a long time, I'd get one to the trans shop if you can. Sorry if I missed it, but what symptoms did this AT give? Did it strand you?

My wife drives the van. Day before yesterday she creeped home in the van and said, "something is wrong with the van." She said it wasn't shifting properly, was slipping and revving between some shifts, (I think 3rd-4th) so she put the hazards on and creeped home at 25 mph. She didn't have too far to go.

As for symptoms before this, she complained of clunky shifting and sometimes very slow engagement when shifting into Drive, especially from Reverse. It was definitely klunky, but I didn't drive it much, and never had the delayed engagement she talked about. She also said she thought she heard some kind of intermittent knocking, not grinding, but that could have been something else.

Anyway, when she got home, I plugged in a cheap scanner and got this:

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0734: Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

Pending Fault Log
------------------
C1607: null
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0735: Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
B3007: null
P1790: Transmission Control Module Checksum
U3004: null

End of report.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

So it seems you changed the ATF every 20k. What fluid are you using?

How often do you change the oil? I'd probably change the ATF every time I change the oil if I had one of those vans!
16.gif

Oil change every 10K and I drain and fill the ATF every other time. It looks like new when it drains out, so I'm probably doing more than I need to. Using Supertech ATF+4.

Oil change every 10K and I drain and fill the ATF every other time. It looks like new when it drains out, so I'm probably doing more than I need to. Using Supertech ATF+4.

Try using Redline C+ ATF next time
smile.gif

It's not just Dodge. No ATF is "lifetime." Just use the correct spec. fluid (synthetiic, if possible) and change it according to vehicle mfg. specs. for severe service. If no specs are given, somewhere between 30K and 60,000 mile changes might be a good rule of thumb. I like the sequence of 1 pan drain every other change with a cooler line, or full torque converter/transmission/cooler drain in-between the pan drains.
And, I really believe in using mfg. spec. (not a 'universal' type fluid). The greatest danger to A/T long life is ATF heat...I believe in auxiliary coolers. I also believe the Ford Super Duty Diesel has the best factory cooler and a/t temp. gauge I've seen to date. I've got an old Camry V-6 I bought new in 1996. The Aisin 541E was replaced at 341,000 miles earlier this year and I had followed the above maintenance sequence. It was simply getting tired and I could have gotten even more miles out of it, but I still take long, long trips in that comfortable old car and I wanted to be able to trust it to deliver trouble-free miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back