Motorcycle crash : Tail of the dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alert, Long post! Last Thursday my wife and I loaded the Superglide on a rented uhaul motorcycle trailer and headed out for a few days of riding in western N.C. We had rented a cabin in Topton, N.C. and arrived at the cabin late afternoon after some sightseeing on the way up. We unloaded the bike and unhooked the trailer then drove into Andrews, N.C. for a few items at the nearest grocery store, a 30 mile round trip. We arrived back at the cabin at dusk, and man it gets really dark really quickly up there. No cell service but had satellite TV reception. Friday morning we fixed breakfast and had coffee on the front porch with a beautiful creek babbling by the cabin. We got ready after breakfast and packed a few girlie essentials in the luggage rack bag and headed down to Hwy 19, a 6 mile ride. We rode several miles along the Nantahala river along 19 to Hwy 129 and headed North to Robbinsville where we gassed up then headed to Deals Gap. We passed Tapoco dam, some call it Fugitive dam since the dam scene from the movie the fugitive was filmed there. We stopped at Deals Gap for the obligatory pictures with the dragon and the place was packed with motorcycles and sports cars readying for the assault on the dragon. We left Deals Gap at about 12:45 going North on 129 and at the halfway point, mile 5.5 we came upon an accident with several emergency vehicles and state troopers blocking the South bound lane. After completing the North bound ride, we turned around at Tellico Plains and headed back to Deals Gap to complete the ride both North and South. When we passed the accident scene, the road South was still blocked with emergency vehicles and a roll back wrecker. We stopped at Killboys at Deals Gap for the wife to buy a couple of tee shirts but no one seemed to know what happened with the accident, so we continued our ride down Moonshine highway to Fontana dam, N.C. We took some pics at the overlook at the base of the dam then road Hwy 28 around to the visitors center at the top of the dam. We met another rider while there who said he heard the rider who crashed on the dragon had died. From Fontana we rode to Bryson City, N.C. for dinner, then back to the cabin. I googled the dragon and was surprised at the number of deaths that have happened over the years, with both motorcycles and cars. There are many paved pull offs on the Dragon and I pulled over a lot to let faster cars and motorcycles around. With my wife on the back, I felt it wise to ride conservatively if I ever wanted her to ride with me again! All in all it was a great few days riding on some of the great motorcycle roads in the country with spectacular scenery. I can now scratch this one item off my bucket list!

Unfortunately there is a big problem with cars and bikes both cutting corners that leads to a lot of head on accidents. I used to drive up there almost each weekend with a small group but haven't been in years because of how bad it has become.

That is some great riding in that area. Much more than the Dragon. One should never go there on the weekends as it's gotten too crowded.

When I rode there it was midweek, and it was still overrun with cars and bikes. Nice enough roads and scenery, but not nice enough to want to put up with the steady parade of vehicles. Especially people riding or driving in some cases well beyond their abilities. Sorry to hear of another fatality.

It all made me glad I live near spectacular mountain roads, that aren't overcrowded and overrated.

That stretch of road is pure heaven for a sport biike. Left the motel very early when I rode there and made my first couple passes while it was still dark. For the next 4 or 5 hours I made so many passes I lost count, most of them with little or no traffic. By late morning the crowds started to make the road unrideable, so I left, but it was amazing while it lasted.

I just watched a utube video of a cycle touring that road at speed. I can understand how accidents happen on that stretch.

Would I like to ride it, sure, but I have no desire for the 2000 mile round trip on my current bike.

I do plan on doing the 3 Sisters here in Texas at some point though. (even that is a 500 mile round trip, plus the 100+ miles for the Sisters).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by loneryder
That is some great riding in that area. Much more than the Dragon. One should never go there on the weekends as it's gotten too crowded.

Cherohala Skyway is much better right down the road.

Originally Posted by jayg
Originally Posted by loneryder

Cherohala Skyway is much better right down the road.

Correct ^^^

Actually if it is someones first time there, its nice to do the whole loop. Rt 129, loop around to Cherohala.

Except for the experience of doing it and saying you did it, the Tail is no big deal.

Been there done that about 5 times but last few was just to get from point A to B to a destination in TN.
Other then that, I find it an inconvenience, the speed limit is 25 MPH or 35 MPH, there is no place to pull off and check things out and its just a small narrow road.
Yes of course everyone goes faster and way more so the sport bike crowd ...
Also never mind yourself knowing what you are doing you have to hope the other person knows what he is doing.

anyway ... whatever, lots of cool things to see in the area that I think is much more fun.

Last edited:
The Devil's Highway in AZ is my favorite, lots of switch backs, great views, and an experience to be remembered for a lifetime.
YMMV
Smoky

To bad for the rider who went down. But, yeah, it's crazy with the sport bike crowd. They all think they're heroes, mostly just zeros ...

Same problems with Hwy 1 south from Monterey to Ventura. Beautiful road with great views and plenty of crashes ...

Please keep your eyes on the road when on the Three Sisters. Too many bikers go down looking at the scenery on the passes and drive off the road!

I've ridden the tail a couple times. Great motorcycling road, except for the Darwin's that think they can defy the laws of physics.
Once on my big Kat, the 1000cc Katana, and once on my R1100RT.
Yes, I have been leaned over, rolling on through one of those curves, and had Ricky Racer pass me in the other lane.
A wrecker, ambulance service, or rescue crew will get rich quick there.
With most videos of crashes there, it's pretty plain to see the rider is in over his head, panics and grabs a handful of brake, standing the bike up.
Gotta roll on more and push harder to lean the bike over more, and wear some depends for inevitable chili in the shorts moment.

Originally Posted by U_S
My wife and I rode the Dragon a few years ago. We saw the results of a cyclist waving at a photographer instead of paying attention to the road. Click on the link and scroll through the 28 images.

https://xtremesportsphotography.pho...spx?pi=0QAK01AY080000&po=0&pc=28

Guy didn't even try to lean hard to the right and instead went straight into the Vette. Get off the brakes and LEAN it over !! Better than going head-on into a car.

If I were the Corvette driver, I'd be very annoyed that the incompetent poser plowed into my car. But the important thing is that Mr. incompetent poser waved at the camera...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by U_S
My wife and I rode the Dragon a few years ago. We saw the results of a cyclist waving at a photographer instead of paying attention to the road. Click on the link and scroll through the 28 images.

https://xtremesportsphotography.pho...spx?pi=0QAK01AY080000&po=0&pc=28

Guy didn't even try to lean hard to the right and instead went straight into the Vette. ..

Wow, some photos, kind of sobering. Ive been to the area every year for the last almost decade and the tail itself many times.

Sure of course, its an experience to go there but there are far better roads and destinations in the area then just the Tail.
But the bottom line, whether in a car or 2 wheels, you are at the mercy of anyone who crosses that double yellow line by mistake and its not hard to do simply because there are so many curves.

Tail is nothing I get excited about anymore, in fact I used it last year just to get from point A to Point B and to be honest for the first (or second time) I was wishing there was another way faster way. Other then following the double yellow line and looking down at the road, there isnt much more you can do, there are so many curves, you certainly cant relax and enjoy the view of the mountains or anything.

The speed limit is 25 MPH, in most if not all parts, not many people obey the limit, though there is law enforcement but only so many places you can enforce.

Anyway, cut the bike rider a break, he was most likely there to experience the area while on vacation, in life we all make mistakes and bad judgements, we are only human.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back