Collinite products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have and use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax and love it. However I see they have other products as well. Has anyone used their other products?

Originally Posted by ZZman
I have and use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax and love it. However I see they have other products as well. Has anyone used their other products?

I have used the 476, which I think is basically the paste version of the 845. I use the 845 because it's easier to use...

When I asked this question, Collinite stated that #915 gives a better shine, and that the paste waxes are a little more durable.

Been using Collinite stuff for about 4-5 years now. 3 of the 5 cars in my family (mine and my wife's), I personally detail wax 2x a year. Sometimes, I'll do my kid's cars too. I do believe that qualifies me for an honorary degree in Collinite studies
banana2.gif

My favorites are the obvious choices: 845, 476 and 915 and I always have a small supply of them all in the garage. There are some tricks to using 845 but, it's the most versatile and best bang for the buck.

Here is the product FAQ and in section 10, there is an Automotive Selection Guide: https://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

Anyhow, my cars are not garage kept and once I figured-out how to layer these properly, you can still wash your car once a week or so and finish repels water just fine.

Ray

Last edited:
I use the 476s on my personal cars and work trucks. It gives a good shine and seems to last quite a while beading water. Makes the paint on dark red vehicles look good.

I see they make a pre wax product and a cleaner wax. I wonder how good they are.

Don't know why they don't recommend using 845 on trim and glass. I use it on both and am very satisfied with it. No white residue on black plastic trim at all and a very light coating on the glass seems to reduce water spots etc.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I see they make a pre wax product and a cleaner wax. I wonder how good they are.

The cleaner wax has slightly less positive reviews than 845. The pre-wax cleaner isn't intended for clear coat finishes. Which is probably why it isn't offered on autogeek.net or talked about much even by the company in the faq. One good paint cleaner is Ultima paint cleaner available on autogeek.

Originally Posted by Bear
Don't know why they don't recommend using 845 on trim and glass. I use it on both and am very satisfied with it. No white residue on black plastic trim at all and a very light coating on the glass seems to reduce water spots etc.

I have not tried it on glass but, you're right about trim; 845 seems to work just fine. It does not get cloudy or leave residue behind on plastic trim. The paste wax versions leave more residue behind on plastic though so I'm more careful when applying it.

If it makes any difference, having spoken in-person to one of the owners of Collinite... 845, 476 and 915 contain all the same waxes but in different proportions. All of them are varying blends of carnuba and synthetic waxes. 845 contains solvent to make it liquid for easy application and removal. The other two have no solvents.

From my personal experiences, waxes can be applied in multiple layers if they don't contain solvents. Applying wax with high amounts of solvent on top of other waxes, could thin-out the base so, 1 + 1 might only equal 1.25 or 1.5. My favorite way to use Collinite is to first use 845, let it dry and cure for at least 2 full days then apply a coat of 476 (fall/winter) or, 915 (spring/summer). The winter prep holds up all season even with all the road salt here. The 915 wax is best on show cars or dark colors. The two paste waxes are very traditional... not very easy to put on and not very easy to buff-out. Both are worth the extra effort. For me, waxing cars is my fun-time.

Ray

Just did an external detail on "The Red Jellybean" and put a coat of winter wax on it with Collinite 476 paste wax. Last wax was with Collinite 845 a little over 3 months ago. I hit it with a foam cannon and let it soak with a strong detergent soap followed by a hand wash with the same detergent soap. Even after that, this is how the roof repelled water. Putting wax on today was very easy going because the old wax was still hanging on strong. Waxing a slippery surface goes really quick. That Ultima wax in the blue bottle is my go-to stuff for plastic trim and tires. It solidly lasts 6 months.

... Ray ...

IMG_20181020_135045.jpg

IMG_20181020_16210-Blur.jpg

IMG_20181020_162349.jpg

IMG_20181020_162034.jpg

IMG_20181020_152937.jpg

IMG_20181020_145658.jpg

IMG_20181020_145626.jpg

Last edited:
FYI: The last Collinite wax shown on the post before this (#4901330) was 10/20/2018. This winter has not been too bad in terms of snow but, in the last month they have been spraying a lot of liquid salt on the roads because we've been getting freezing rain. The car was pretty much covered with salt residue these last few weeks. Last night, it rained all night long and this is what the car looks like right now. Wax is holding-up just fine after exactly 4 months and 4 days later. The vehicle has not been washed since the wax job on October.

Ray

P1001254.jpg

Spring is around the corner and I'm looking forward to the first round of fresh wax.

BTW: This is my son's car that was done with Collinite 845 about 2 weeks before my car was done. I'm guessing it was waxed on/about 10/6/2018. Car was not washed all winter. It has survived the last 5 months of winter very nicely.

P1001299.jpg

Originally Posted by Richie
Collinite 845 was my go-to wax until I discovered ceramic coatings. All of my vehicles are now ceramic coated.

I thought about trying a ceramic coating but, truth be known, I rather enjoy detailing the car the old fashioned way with wax. Also, I felt the information about ceramics was too unreliable and couldn't figure-out which one to try. So, to heck with it... I have a couple bottles of 845 and a couple cans of the 476 and 915. Even with 5 cars, that will last a few years. Maybe when it's all gone, I'll try ceramic.

Ray

I'm curious to find out if Collinite has any plans on getting in on the ceramic coating business. I can't imagine they would want to be left behind by not doing it...

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by Richie
Collinite 845 was my go-to wax until I discovered ceramic coatings. All of my vehicles are now ceramic coated.

I thought about trying a ceramic coating but, truth be known, I rather enjoy detailing the car the old fashioned way with wax. Also, I felt the information about ceramics was too unreliable and couldn't figure-out which one to try. So, to heck with it... I have a couple bottles of 845 and a couple cans of the 476 and 915. Even with 5 cars, that will last a few years. Maybe when it's all gone, I'll try ceramic.

Ray

I like doing my cars the old fashioned way too, but I admit, I am intrigued by the ease of use and short application time of the ceramics. My only apprehension in using them comes from a lack of examples of their longevity. There are plenty of examples to show how easy they are to use, but I have seen nothing to suggest they last any longer than something like an 845 or the 476...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back