Ford Excursions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Transit or Sprinter?? They both will get tossed around by semis and crosswinds (especially unloaded), and both are EXTREMELY expensive to have repaired. My regular mechanic doesn't even want to see the company's POS Transit, anything major it goes to the dealer for a month!

Any experience with Nissan's big van, the NV2500? Just too bad they aren't offering the Cummins available in the Titan. But the NV looks easier to service than any other full-size van because it has a real hood that the whole engine fits under.

A 4R100 costs me $7 more than a 4L80E, I just checked. Seems I can't go wrong with either, the only thing is the Suburban gets better MPG while the Excursion looks bigger (because it is)... For my use case a diesel would be a bad choice short tripped 5 miles to work in traffic LOL. I'd love a Tahoe PPV but I'm pretty sure neither the 4L60E or 6L80 will deliver long term reliability given police use and then my driving style. Either way I'm not buying til next year. I think I'll start off 2019 right with either the Burb or Ex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Excursion is a solid pick, just stay away from the older V-10's and diesels.

There'd be nothing wrong with an older diesel if it were the 7.3 L, provided it didn't have equivalent mileage of three trips to the moon and back.
wink.gif

I love 7.3s and have driven my friends and it's great. Except the price premium is insane and I'd be short-tripping the crap out of it which isn't good for it. Plus you know whatever I'm gonna buy is gonna have a bunch of miles and a whole gas engine is cheaper than a few parts for the diesel. And $30 oil changes vs $100 oil changes
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by 2003f7
I love mine. 193k miles.. V10 Replaced ball joints and u joints at 150k. The v10 pulls strong and gets simile mileage to my old 6.0 2500 Chevy.

Do you think the Excursion gas or a Burb 2500 with the 6.0 is more reliable?

I think they are equally reliable, but you will ocassionally be fixing a bunch of odds and ends with both rigs. I would be tempted to find a Suburban with the 8.1L and convert it to run on E85.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by clinebarger
2500 Suburbans have a 4L80E ('91-'06) or a 6L90E ('07 & up)......Both are better units than a 4L60E in terms of strength & longevity.

The Ford Excursion is a good vehicle, But don't compare it to a 1500 Suburban. It ONLY compares to a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL.

Buying used vehicles carry NO guarantees, If you have a 4R100 go down on you.....It will cost more than a 4L60E to rebuild or buying used!

I seriously doubt a 4R100 is more to rebuild than a 4L60 or 4L80. Considering all three of these transmissions trace their lineage back 20+ years they're all about the same to rebuild. At the end of the day they're all hydraulic transmissions that were adapted to electronic over the years, and inside they're all just clutch packs and valve bodies. The rebuild process is the same, more or less.

Parts are more expensive for E4OD/4R100 & take more labor time to rebuild than a 4L60E. A "Banner" kit for a 4R100 cost $100 more 4L60E kit.
OE electronics run $200 more for a 4R100.
No offence intended here.....And I know your a Tech as well, But have you ever built a E4OD/4R100?

It's more that people charge to much for 4L60E builds. My base 4L60E starts at $1400 & a base 4R100 starts at $2000.

I did not state that a 4R100 is cheaper than a 4L80E......Even though the actual average COST for a shop is less for a 4L80E mostly because the electronics.

2500 Suburbans have a 4L80E ('91-'06) or a 6L90E ('07 & up)......Both are better units than a 4L60E in terms of strength & longevity.

The Ford Excursion is a good vehicle, But don't compare it to a 1500 Suburban. It ONLY compares to a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL.

Buying used vehicles carry NO guarantees, If you have a 4R100 go down on you.....It will cost more than a 4L60E to rebuild or buying used!

I seriously doubt a 4R100 is more to rebuild than a 4L60 or 4L80. Considering all three of these transmissions trace their lineage back 20+ years they're all about the same to rebuild. At the end of the day they're all hydraulic transmissions that were adapted to electronic over the years, and inside they're all just clutch packs and valve bodies. The rebuild process is the same, more or less.

Parts are more expensive for E4OD/4R100 & take more labor time to rebuild than a 4L60E. A "Banner" kit for a 4R100 cost $100 more 4L60E kit.
No offence intended here.....And I know your a Tech as well, But have you ever built a E4OD/4R100?

It's more that people charge to much for 4L60E builds. My base 4L60E starts at $1400 & a base 4R100 starts at $2000.

I did not state that a 4R100 is cheaper than a 4L80E......Even though the actual average COST for a shop is less for a 4L80E mostly because the electronics.

While I'm sure it's true that the 4R100 is more labor intensive to rebuild (I mean, I'm not sure, but I believe the person who stated that who I'm sure has more experience with the matter) BUT again here in Marin county with labor rates of $130/hr for a regular indy shop nobody rebuilds transmissions on site - they just get swapped with a rebuilt/reman unit from somewhere else... hence the only thing that matters is the $7 price difference in terms of purchasing that transmission.

While I'm sure it's true that the 4R100 is more labor intensive to rebuild (I mean, I'm not sure, but I believe the person who stated that who I'm sure has more experience with the matter) BUT again here in Marin county with labor rates of $130/hr for a regular indy shop nobody rebuilds transmissions on site - they just get swapped with a rebuilt/reman unit from somewhere else... hence the only thing that matters is the $7 price difference in terms of purchasing that transmission.

Ya I lived in SF near SFO few years ago , $$$$ Marin county $$$$ is gonna rape you. All cheap labor work is east bay or San Jose area

IMO, Los angeles area is a better market for used cars !! I scored a clean black '08 P71 SAP for $1800 earlier this year at auction in Carson

Dave

Last edited:
From what I've seen, a used gas Excursion is much cheaper than a comparable Suburban and also much thirstier.
If you want one, buy a gas V-8 and it should cost no more to own and use than any Ford pickup.
It's also an awesomely massive beast if that's what you seek.
A Suburban looks like the little sister of an Excursion.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
From what I've seen, a used gas Excursion is much cheaper than a comparable Suburban and also much thirstier.
If you want one, buy a gas V-8 and it should cost no more to own and use than any Ford pickup.

Perhaps a 5.4 Excursion is undesirable (though I'd like one) BUT the problem is Excursions in general are rare compared to Suburbans.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search...c=1&min_price=100&max_price=2500

Last edited:
Good point, I rarely see Excursions anymore but Suburbans are everywhere.

I wish they still made a 2 door Tahoe
frown.gif

Perhaps a 5.4 Excursion is undesirable (though I'd like one) BUT the problem is Excursions in general are rare compared to Suburbans.

Yeah, Ford apparently thought they'd score by supersizing the Suburban, but Ford was wrong and sales were poor.
The Suburban had and has enormous brand equity and fuel prices didn't help the Excursion.
Excursions are therefore far less common than Suburbans.

Yeah, Ford apparently thought they'd score by supersizing the Suburban, but Ford was wrong and sales were poor.
The Suburban had and has enormous brand equity and fuel prices didn't help the Excursion.
Excursions are therefore far less common than Suburbans.

Basically. Didn't have the brand equity of either Suburban or Hummer, and even Hummer got canned. Excursion had no hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back