Briggs and Stratton 492932S oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briggs and Stratton 492932S oil filter cut open. MTD Yard Machines lawn tractor with Briggs 16 hp single cylinder engine, 2003, 100 hours runtime.
filter production date Nov 14, 2011.

Notes: This filter was sitting around in my drain pan for many years, waiting to be cut open.
Not much media, but not much is required in this application. Black nitrile ADBV, was stiff but no cuts or cracks. No obvious defects, but can was thin . Media pleats uneven but no tears.
Yes that is significant aluminum fragments , although engine ran fine when I sold the mower.

This is a low-end filter that should cost $6 or less, but usually is $10-15
smile.gif
. I think I have a Wix replacement that I will post soon for comparison, its waiting to be cut open.
I would suggest a Amsoil Ea15k20 instead of this filter, or a suitable substitute.

Last edited:
Yes, those are pretty large chunks of metal. I would be really afraid for this engine, but I sold the lawn tractor over 5 years ago, and the current owner reports that it still runs fine.

Tiny media area, but at least it has a full flow, spin on filter. I have a Tecumseh powered rider that has no filter so I fixed a neodymium magnet to the drain plug. That thing sheds metal every time I pull the plug. That metal could have been in the sump for a long while and just found its way to the filter.

Still thanks for the effort of the cut and post.

Briggs is 3/4-16 thread
Amsoil is M20 X 1.5

Completely different

Use a Fram 3614 or 3600, if there is room...

rubberchicken, thanks for the cut and post.
I recently bought my first Riding Mower that has the same Filter.

I wanted to get a Fram as a replacement / I figured cheaper price and better quality.
My research shows I could use Fram:
1) Extra Guard PH8170 @ 95%
2) Extra Guard PH3614 @ 95%
3) Tough Guard TG3614 @ 99%

My concern was that the Fram had smaller inlet & outlet holes for the oil flow as compared to the B&S.
I was not sure if it made any difference.

Anybody here using a good replacement for the B&S 492932S ?

I'm using the PH8170. It is made very similarly to the OE Briggs filter and it is much higher quality than your standard Fram orange can.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'm using the PH8170. It is made very similarly to the OE Briggs filter and it is much higher quality than your standard Fram orange can.

You're smart because there has to be reasons why Briggs used the special sized filter they did. And reasons Fram makes a special filter. I learned this year my mower engine has an oil pump and a filter with a 3/4-16 thread, but what actually happens is the engine is splash lubed and the pump/ filter is a separate system to clean the oil. If a large filter is put on, it could lower the oil level too much. On mine. A larger element is not needed for these engines, and complicates things.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

You're smart because there has to be reasons why Briggs used the special sized filter they did. And reasons Fram makes a special filter. I learned this year my mower engine has an oil pump and a filter with a 3/4-16 thread, but what actually happens is the engine is splash lubed and the pump/ filter is a separate system to clean the oil. If a large filter is put on, it could lower the oil level too much. On mine. A larger element is not needed for these engines, and complicates things.

My engine is a 22 hp Intek. According to the spec sheet it has a "full pressure lubrication". Briggs defines this as working like an automobile engine system. They also have "pressure lubrication" on other engines that they define differently. I guess it all depends on the engine model- many smaller Briggs use splash lubrication and no filter.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...der-engine-from-briggs-and-stratton.html

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
rubberchicken, thanks for the cut and post.
I recently bought my first Riding Mower that has the same Filter.

I wanted to get a Fram as a replacement / I figured cheaper price and better quality.
My research shows I could use Fram:
1) Extra Guard PH8170 @ 95%
2) Extra Guard PH3614 @ 95%
3) Tough Guard TG3614 @ 99%

My concern was that the Fram had smaller inlet & outlet holes for the oil flow as compared to the B&S.
I was not sure if it made any difference.

Anybody here using a good replacement for the B&S 492932S ?

I have used the Wix 51056 and 57035 instead of the B&S filter. I have a used one waiting to be cut open.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Briggs is 3/4-16 thread
Amsoil is M20 X 1.5

Completely different

Use a Fram 3614 or 3600, if there is room...

I looked up on the Amsoil site and found a PDF with filter specs- you are correct that the Amsoil has different threads.
So DO NOT use the Amsoil Ea15k20 ! Looks like I have an orphan filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I forgot to mention that this filter has no bypass valve.

I think there is a bypass in there. Champ metal core filters sometimes have holes in the dome end baseplate that are covered by the spring. That is the bypass.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
I forgot to mention that this filter has no bypass valve.

I think there is a bypass in there. Champ metal core filters sometimes have holes in the dome end baseplate that are covered by the spring. That is the bypass.

I went back and realized I did not take pics as you described: here they are-- you are correct about the holes, and I guess that can work as a bypass. I have my doubts as to how well that would work as a bypass valve, and it seems to chew up valuable space in the can that could be used for more filter area. Thoughts ?

Possible bypass valve in Briggs and Stratton filter ? You can see the holes, but there is nothing on the other side of that metal can. I have a hard time accepting that this will properly work as a bypass valve.

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Yes, known as the "clicker plate" design.

Sort of like those old metal "crickets" that kids had a toys ?

Yep, pressure on the clicker plate with the 6 holes will "pop" it down which allows oil to flow between the top plate (leaf spring assy) and through the 6 holes in the clicker plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back