AcDelco vs Bosch vs Wagner vs Akebono vs Powerstop Brake Pads???

Hello everyone (New member here)

I am going to change out the brake pads on all 4 wheels on my vehicle.
Any thoughts ideas or personal experience on which to go on?
Looking for the best brake stopping power.

-ACDelco 17D1421CH Professional Ceramic Front Disc Brake Pad Set

-Bosch BC1430 QuietCast Premium Ceramic Rear Disc Brake Pad Set

-Wagner QuickStop ZD1430 Ceramic Disc Pad Set, Rear

-Akebono ACT924 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set

-Power Stop (Z23-1421) Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Pads, Front

I've got the AC Delco Advantage Ceramic (made in India) on the front of my SUV. Great pad for $26

Id go with the carquest wearever gold.

a0e81753093962a5a36bd6e9098cd827--fred-flintstone-funny-cartoons.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried most of them except the Power Stop and all are fine. IMO, try to stay with the pads that are rated FF Coefficient of Friction(CoF). Look for the FF designation with the other alphanumeric codes on the pads.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I've tried most of them except the Power Stop and all are fine. IMO, try to stay with the pads that are rated FF Coefficient of Friction(CoF). Look for the FF designation with the other alphanumeric codes on the pads.

Excellent advice. None of these companies make all their pads with the same materials throughout the line. The products vary wildly by application.

Forgive me as I always like to approach things in a different manner than most members.

Your tires matter, too when it comes to how short your vehicle will stop. If you look at tire test comparisons on the TireRack, you can learn a lot.

Example, the Goodyear's in the tire comparison on wet pavement took 134.9 feet to stop from 50 MPH while the Michelin's did it in 110.3 feet.
On dry pavement, the Goodyear's took 6.4 feet longer to stop than the Michelin's.

[Linked Image]

I would not even consider AC Delco. Sure they are good parts, it's just that they don't make anything. They just rebox parts so you pay more. You should add Raybestos Element 3 pads to your options. These are an excellent upgraded pad.

I have Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra pads on 2 vehicles for 3 years now and they work fine. Not sure if they stop any better than OEM Toyota Pads because if/when we stop short, the ABS kicks in.

be sure your rotors are good + generally they will need a light cut aka resurface. too much resurfacing + they can easily warp!!! brakes are most important + not a place to skimp. i too like EBC their rotors are made in UK + brake pads in USA i believe where as most others are chinese!!

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I would not even consider AC Delco. Sure they are good parts, it's just that they don't make anything.

They are currently building a AC Delco plant here in MI that will open in early 2019. And brake parts will be one of the things they will make there.

anything but PowerStop.
Two sets both dusted enough to "weld" the slots and drilled holes nearly shut.
Emailing tech support got me nowhere since I installed myself....no warranty if you do them yourself.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I would not even consider AC Delco. Sure they are good parts, it's just that they don't make anything.

They are currently building a AC Delco plant here in MI that will open in early 2019. And brake parts will be one of the things they will make there.

No, this is simply a warehousing operation like the other locations. They won't make anything - just process/package the parts they get and ship them out.

Quote from the article
"When the facility opens in early 2019, it will be the company's main induction point in the United States for ACDelco and Genuine GM service parts that need to be unitized and packaged for sale. Ultimately, these parts are used to maintain every Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac sold in the United States, and hundreds of competitive vehicles as well."

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...ges/news/us/en/2018/jun/0620-burton.html

Last edited:
anything but PowerStop.

I blew thru a set of these on my rear 2012 Elantra in 25K, mostly highway miles. I always get 40-60K miles on the pads. Poke around on this site, there are lots of discussions on brake pads.

We have used Akebono pads at work for well over five years now and they are excellent, we have only had one complaint in all that time they just do everything right.

Back