Supertech or Mag1 in 2012 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought toyota WS in the past but was looking at other brands. Supertech Dexron VI regular $5.14 or synthetic for $6.46. I can get the Mag 1 full synthetic on Amazon 6 quarts for $30. All made by warren, they say can be used in place of WS on the bottle. I think the full synthetic supertech and Mag1 might be the same.

Probably the same, Warren.

You can get Valvoline Maxlife at walmart for $17 a gallon.

Every Wal-Mart close to me is always sold out of the maxlife, I think a lot of people use it in place of toyota WS.

Do you have a Pepboys anywhere around? This would be better imo than those choices, and around the same price.

https://www.pepboys.com/pennzoil-platinum-lvmv-atf%2c-quart/product/1162211

I have used the Mag1 LV before in a Lexus and it was OK. Not as smooth as dedicated AIsin fluid, but it was OK.

The ST synthetic is the same as the Mag1 on Amazon.

Maxlife is also good, and so is the PP LV ATF that Oro mentioned.

A few times a year, AAP and Autozone have a sale on Castrol ATF for $5/.qt, but they are not running the sale right now. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is awesome.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Where has this been verified? I was under the impression that the Mag1 branding is Warren's flagship product and is different/better than ST offerings.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D

Where has this been verified? I was under the impression that the Mag1 branding is Warren's flagship product and is different/better than ST offerings.

Mag1 is just the brand WPP sells under their own name.

They make the same private label formula for many house brands, the supply Peak, and WPP uses their own brand name Mag1.

Mag1 is just the brand WPP sells under their own name.

They make the same private label formula for many house brands, the supply Peak, and WPP uses their own brand name Mag1.

Again, where is the verification that Mag1 is the exact same as house brands?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would never go cheap generic on the transmission. Buy the best spec fluid you can get.

I was under the impression that toyota WS fluid wasn't anyhing special in comparison to other tranny fluids on the market, especially in terms of cost. That's why I was looking at other options.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would never go cheap generic on the transmission. Buy the best spec fluid you can get.

I was under the impression that toyota WS fluid wasn't anyhing special in comparison to other tranny fluids on the market, especially in terms of cost. That's why I was looking at other options.

You will be good with SuperTech or Valvoline Maxlife.

Here's another option by one of the most knowledgeable on transmissions:

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm running Castrol Transynd (Allison spec Dex 3) in my 2010 Corolla & like it better than Toyota WS.

Different fluid specs can cause different "Shift Feel", As a professional in the field, I do not alter fluid specs on customers vehicles unless I'm building & warranting the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back