Just turned 200,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passed 200,000 miles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
What year, make and model is that? Doesn't look like anything in your signature. Kind of looks like a Honda Accord 6th gen cluster.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What year, make and model is that? Doesn't look like anything in your signature. Kind of looks like a Honda Accord 6th gen cluster.

Very good. 2002 honda accord 2.3l automatic. On its 2nd transmission at a minimum. Its a used car so im not sure how many transmissions were replaced i just know its not the original. This current transmission has problems also but i have been nursing it along for around 45,000 miles by manually shifting sometimes and using a homebrew transmission fluid.

Last edited:
I had a 99 Accord 2.3 auto for 9.5 yrs and 166k miles. But sold it off in 08, so 10 years ago. Thought it looked familiar. I bought it new, fair amt of hwy miles and original trans. Only repairs were front wheel bearing, fuel pressure regulator, rear main seal was weeping so dealer replaced it for $250/half covered by Honda. I could have let it go in hindsight. Ran like a top when I sold it. Miss that car.

I wonder if your car had a trans flush or the fluid just wasn't changed often enough. I had a bad flare from 1st to 2nd after the rear main was changed. But a drain and fill fixed that and was fine for the next 70k till it was sold.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
Mine just cleared 300K. I have a pic but no idea how to post it

Click reply, Use Full Editor, Click on Picture Uploader.

Thats awesome. I always enjoy seeing cars hit those milestones. At the rate I drive my Accord, it will be at least another 15 years before it hits 200K.

Yeah, great engines but even the 4 cylinder engines had transmission problems.
I have my parents 1998 Accord; has 80K miles.
Runs like new; body has some scratches.

Thanks SatinSilver. Wouldn't show up in preview, nearly gave up but decided to try anyway. Actually worked. First ever pic post on a forum.

As far as automobiles go, yes... It's a good time to be alive.

My first cars were late 60's and early 70's vehicles. They had drum brakes on all 4's; engines had carburetors, points & rotors. Suspension had shock absorbers and leaf springs etc. Every year they needed a tune-up with new spark plugs, points, condenser and rotor. Carbs needed adjustment in the spring and fall. Belts and hoses and anti-freeze needed to be changed every few years. Water pumps and alternators went bad every few years. Mufflers, pipes and resonators needed to be replaced every few years. The list went on... -And getting one of these beasts started on a cold Chicago morning was a total hit-or-miss proposition that usually involved a couple squirts of ether starting fluid. A vehicle with 40,000 miles was past it's prime. Something with 100,000 miles was almost unheard of.

In the 80's Japan started selling us cars that easily made it to the 100,000 mile mark. My first new car was a 1981 Toyota Corona that lasted for 187,000 miles before the suspension rusted-out. Engine was still strong. In the 90's cars were going 150,000 miles and now 200,000+ is common-place.

Viva La Automobile!

Ray

As much as the accord transmissions get a bad rap i actually really like the transmission. Im very impressed it has lasted almost 50k since i have had the car. It has a really long flare from first to second (so long that i usually take off in second otherwise i cant really pull out into traffic) and it flares from 2nd to 3rd. But if i modulate the throttle it will shift almost unperceived and the shifts are always consistent and direct. As much as people say you can only run honda atf i see that as not being the case. It currently has 2 quarts of type f, the rest dexron 6 and one full can of seafoam transtune. This concoction by far produced the best and most consistent shifting.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. My 2005 Chevy Avalanche just rolled over 200k last week. I remember my 1973 Chevy Impala rolling over 100K, a big deal then, now not so much.

I have a 2002 Accord with the 2.3 auto, Ex leather myself. 155k, no trans problems as of yet, knock on wood! I knew that was not a 78 GM OD as I had one of them way back when, and I know it was not a Merc either! Enjoy!

Have you tried Valvoline Maxlife synthetic transmission fluid? I had issues with my 2003 Acura TL Type-S, Flare up, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd when cold, and some shuddering. Did a 3+3 drain and fill, fixed it right up. drives and shifts great, cold, hot. I still have it, 238k miles.

Last edited:
That's nothing for a Honda! I got a pic somewhere of my Tacoma's odometer at the 100k mark. I wanna drive it to a million! Although I don't know if I'll ever drive that many miles in my lifetime in a personal vehicle. As a truck driver I know I'll get there sooner or later!

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I have a 2002 Accord with the 2.3 auto, Ex leather myself. 155k, no trans problems as of yet, knock on wood! I knew that was not a 78 GM OD as I had one of them way back when, and I know it was not a Merc either! Enjoy!

Have you tried Valvoline Maxlife synthetic transmission fluid? I had issues with my 2003 Acura TL Type-S, Flare up, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd when cold, and some shuddering. Did a 3+3 drain and fill, fixed it right up. drives and shifts great, cold, hot. I still have it, 238k miles.

I don't remember if I tried maxlife. I don't think I did. Started out using amsoil then switched to Castrol import and then to dex6 and now to what's currently in it. I'm fairly certain there is an actual transmission problem and it's not just fluid related. I have plans to rebuild this transmission maybe next summer so what's in it works and it's going to stay. Thanks for the info though

Last edited:
yesterday in my neighborhood the guy got rid of his Accord, most likely 2002 too. he car recently just died in him I expect. it was his wife daily driver; the towing company showed up ant took it away. I was suspicious of transmission trouble on it too; It was was in white but it looked beaten from the outside; they replaced it with Rav4, perhaps 2015 model;

I hope our CRV will age well and reach 250K troubles free in 10-12 years, I hope; however, Hondas are notorious for problems with their transmissions

Also, my Mazda crossed that 200K (original engine and transmission) mark not long ago and I hope I can squeeze it to 250K too; very likely though, but we shall see

200K on today's cars is nothing, especially a Honda. My Corolla has 355K and is still going strong...you should easily be able to go another 100K+...

The AT problems were normally on the V6 engines for that generation and then the first production run on the newer styled 03's. Turned out to be a lubrication problem and Honda developed a fix, after that, AT's were reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back