Blower hard to start in cool weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toro T25 blower that's about 6 years old. Last fall and again now, it's been hard to start in cool (50s and lower 60s) weather. Summer starting has been normal and it's run pretty well.

It wouldn't start at all yesterday, even with starter fluid. So today I put a new plug in it and managed to get it running. (Though I don't think the plug had much to do with, based on how hard it was to get going.) It died after a few minutes and now I can't get it re-started.

Any idea what's going on? Fuel was bought and mixed about 2-3 weeks ago. It obviously has spark. Primer bulb fills with fuel when primed. It ran okay when I had it going, but wasn't quite right. Wonder what issue it might have that seems to be exacerbated in cool weather.

Check all the fuel lines for cracks. It can suck air through those. Also check the in-tank filter. I'm assuming you have cleaned the air filter. Have you checked for spark when it won't start?

Last edited:
Can you leave it indoors overnight and try starting it tommorow. That should rule out the "hard to start in cool weather", theory.

Are you using the choke? They usually start fine in hot weather without choke or very little. Or are you talking about hard to pull the cord? I know my 2 strokes start fine, but it takes more effort to pull the pull cord in cooler weather. Mechanic said the 2 stroke fuel was thicker in colder weather, but i'm not buying that. Sounds like bs to me.

Thanks, folks. Just tore it down out of frustration. Blew out the carb with air, put new gaskets on the carb and replaced the fuel filter. Fired up on the first pull. Wants to die if I let off the throttle all the way, but priming the bulb twice gets it restarted. I can make this work.

We're at about 2800 ft. Elevation. I wonder if cool air/air density had something to do with the root issue.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Thanks, folks. Just tore it down out of frustration. Blew out the carb with air, put new gaskets on the carb and replaced the fuel filter. Fired up on the first pull. Wants to die if I let off the throttle all the way, but priming the bulb twice gets it restarted. I can make this work.

Dying when backing off the throttle suggests it is starving for fuel. Cleaning the carb and replacing fuel lines usually fixes the problem. When you had the carb apart did you clean it with carb cleaner or just use air? Using air is good but the carb cleaner dissolves any gunk that might block it. If you did not clean the parts, it might work to use a fuel system cleaner like techron, but I doubt it will work as well as dismantling the carb, using a spray carb cleaner on the parts, and running a fine copper wire through any small passages (depending on the carb design). My $.02

Edit: my brother swears by E0 and fuel stabilizer but I am not convinced it makes much difference. I currently use E0 in my OPE, but it really didn't change how often I need to clean my carb. However some of my OPE (lawn mower) runs better on it. Didnt make any diff on my 2 cycle blower, but I use it all year and don't store it. I run the weed whip dry before storing it, so I have no idea whether E0 stores better or needs a stabilizer. Might be worth trying after you get the blower running better.

Last edited:
Son in laws older toro had a funky carb and I grabbed one off Fleabay for $$13. Runs like a champ. I just tore my Airens apart and cleaned it for the same types of issues. Same carb no less . Use the numbers on the carb and save the old one just in case. Guess what? It's more hassle to clean one than just toss a new one on and be happy. Far simpler and I've done a few that way now and none needed any adjustment.
It's best to avoid ethanol with small carbs period. If you can't the solution is simple though. Fleabay sells 5 packs of fuel filters and plastic shutoff valves. Mine were under $10 for a package. Cut the line in a convenient place and stick a shut off in. Then when you are finished working twist the valve and let it run dry. I try drain my tank at seasons end as well..

Thanks for the advice, guys. I fixed up an Echo trimmer for a trimmerless friend last winter and used an EBay carb. Amazing they can make, package and send a carb, fuel lines, filter, spark plug and grommets for about $13. (Used everything but the spark plug, as I don't imagine it's up to snuff.) I'll get a new one for the Toro and may go through it one of these boring winter evenings.

No ethanol. Learned that lesson years ago. Now I buy small quantities of the 93 octane non-ethanol. I usually treat it with Seafoam, too. Try and use it up before it goes south.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back