Goodyear Assurance All Season = JUNK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit, I'm no fan of GY tires. I've never been impressed with any of their products. I've had tons of issues with their tires, more than I have from cheap no-name brands to be honest.

Hopefully this helps someone trying to make the decision, but I recently installed a set of GY assurance tires on the boss' wife's Volvo. DOT codes had all 4 made earlier this year. I'll preface this by saying my boss is a stickler for vibration. He's like a drug sniffing dog when it comes to ride quality, so good tires are a must.

The result of road force balancing?

1: 38 lbs
2: 47! lbs
3: 28 lbs
4: 27 lbs

For those that don't know, a general rule of thumb is that under 10 lbs of road force, most people won't feel a thing. Under 5 lbs is fantastic. There's always the occasional bad tire, but to have 4 tires made relatively close to each other all fail so miserably is just poor QC.

To add: all 4 tires balanced out fine. At most, 1.5 oz was needed, at least .5 oz. Just goes to show, balanced tires don't always lead to a good ride. I did test drive the car after we mounted the tires (boss needed the car, we defected them out the next day) and it shook to high heaven at 55+. I'm not terribly bothered by minor vibration, but this thing shook the snot out of the cabin. Completely unacceptable for new treads.

If anyone has been considering these tires, I'd take a hard pass. Especially at the price point.

Hmmm, sad to say that I am not a fan of G/Y either due to having issues all the time.
I can't count the sets(4) of G/Y tires that I've owned since the 1970s and have been disgusted with every set. Even the last set I purchased(G/Y Assurance ComforTred Touring) for my wife's LEXUS, which may have been the best of all but still subpar...ESPECIALLY FOR THE MONEY!

I have actually had my best success lately with Pirelli(P4/P7a/s+) thus far along with General's(RT, RT43 & Arctic). Michelin too however, I have only owned Michelins on new vehicles that came with them and have never purchased them aftermarket. My limited experience with Cooper CS4(discontinued) has been decent as well and if the price is right, I'd consider the CS5.

I bought a pair of these the GY Assurance tires a little over a year ago. Great price from discount tire but they will not stay balanced like most tires. I have to get them rebalanced every 3-4,000 miles as they shaking becomes so bad. I will not buy these again. Second to never having any GY tires that I really liked. Most of the time they break belts before getting to 30,000 miles. On other hand I have never had a Cooper I did not like. Just got a set of CS5 Ultra Touring for my wagon and they have been awesome. Not a lot of miles yet so wear is unknown. Unfortunately Sable/Taurus are known tire eaters so I am not expecting over 40,000 at best.

From my experience with bad tires, I found they tend to come in batches. Firestone and General were the offending tire brands. Both brands were T speed rated. The Firestone were made in Ohio and the General were made in Romania. Both brands had serial numbers in close proximity. I put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport on my wife's KIA Optima and they have been flawless.

I am riding on a set of Michelin I paid 950 bucks for on my F150
Shop balanced me 4 times,2 were replaced truck still vibrates at 80MPH
I gave up . I cant wait till they wear out ...

Originally Posted by spk2000
I bought a pair of these the GY Assurance tires a little over a year ago. Great price from discount tire but they will not stay balanced like most tires. I have to get them rebalanced every 3-4,000 miles as they shaking becomes so bad. I will not buy these again. Second to never having any GY tires that I really liked. Most of the time they break belts before getting to 30,000 miles. On other hand I have never had a Cooper I did not like. Just got a set of CS5 Ultra Touring for my wagon and they have been awesome. Not a lot of miles yet so wear is unknown. Unfortunately Sable/Taurus are known tire eaters so I am not expecting over 40,000 at best.

I had to have my G/Y ACTs balanced yearly on my wife's LEXUS and the wheel alignment was spot on. This is the way most of G/Y tires were for me. Other issues that I experienced with G/Y tires is, terrible/uneven wear(w/proper alignment & rotations & balancing), broken belts or one/two tires wore completely differently than the others, again, all w/proper alignment & rotations & balancing.

Switch to different brand on the "same vehicle" and issues went away, with the exception of private label tires...didn't like them either!

Last edited:
My '13 Accord bought new had GY Assurance. Balanced once, seldom rotated, lasted 80K miles. Never had anything that lasted past 60K. Replaced with same, 25K on them now, rotated once.

I just want to comment on this one thing:

Originally Posted by 14Accent
………. For those that don't know, a general rule of thumb is that under 10 lbs of road force, most people won't feel a thing. Under 5 lbs is fantastic. …….

Uh ….. Mmmm ……. Not exactly.

Ya' see, the larger the vehicle, the less sensitive it is - and large SUV's and light duty pickups (F-150's, Chevy 1500's) can tolerate a lot more.

For small car, that 10# thing is a good number, but for a full sized car, they can tolerate stuff in the teens, and large SUV's, the low 20's.

Now there are exceptions and the one I am most familiar with was the Buicks and Cadillacs from the mid 2000's where nothing seemed to work. GM even had us screen tires - about 4 out of 100 produced - to get tires that wouldn't vibrate!

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I just want to comment on this one thing:

Originally Posted by 14Accent
………. For those that don't know, a general rule of thumb is that under 10 lbs of road force, most people won't feel a thing. Under 5 lbs is fantastic. …….

Uh ….. Mmmm ……. Not exactly.

Ya' see, the larger the vehicle, the less sensitive it is - and large SUV's and light duty pickups (F-150's, Chevy 1500's) can tolerate a lot more.

For small car, that 10# thing is a good number, but for a full sized car, they can tolerate stuff in the teens, and large SUV's, the low 20's.

Now there are exceptions and the one I am most familiar with was the Buicks and Cadillacs from the mid 2000's where nothing seemed to work. GM even had us screen tires - about 4 out of 100 produced - to get tires that wouldn't vibrate!

Correct, SUV's are fine up to around 20 pounds, however this was on an XC70 and they're just like the GM's you speak of, they NEED good tires of they WILL shake. Every time.

Well, you'll be taking them off soon anyway when you switch to the winter tires, right?
smile.gif

No issues in many years of GM's & several brands of tires including Goodyear, Firestone, General, BFG, Toyo …

We have a lot of problems with goodyear tires with balance problems on brand new trucks at work. When i put my summer wheels on my Malibu i put cooper CS5's on it and they roadforced over 30 lbs each. And vibrated like crazy and to swap them out for another set any no more vibrations.

It's interesting that cop cars (at least the old Crown Vics) primarily ran GY tires. I'd think troopers would be ticked off when their office for 8-10 hrs/day would vibrate like crazy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser
It's interesting that cop cars (at least the old Crown Vics) primarily ran GY tires. I'd think troopers would be ticked off when their office for 8-10 hrs/day would vibrate like crazy.

Plenty of cops, departments, and municipalities had more than enough reason to dislike GY - Eagle RS-As were ditched in favor of Firestone firehawks.

Or.... maybe they enjoyed it?
lol.gif

Both my Crown Vics had Badyear Eagle RS-As. No vibration but crappy wet traction. Not good tires!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Or.... maybe they enjoyed it?
lol.gif

Maybe GY was saving all the good tires for the cops and giving everybody else the castoffs?
;^)
I had GY Eagle Sport all seasons on my FXT and really liked them, they never saw deep snow because I had dedicated winter tires but I wanted something that could handle a surprise fall/spring storm and be fun in the summer. They were pretty fun for zipping around and were good enough in a few inches of snow (very much unlike the OEM "all seasons"). I replaced them with Altimax RT43s and the new tires are not nearly as much fun, although I would expect that they will be more capable for winter driving. I miss the Goodyears! The RT43s feel kinda squirmy if I push them at all and tend to shriek when I'm not getting on them too hard.

I also had GY Ultra Grip Ice WRT winter tires a few years ago, they were unusual in having pretty good highway manners at speed for a winter tire but were probably more adequate than great in tough winter driving. I will say that their dry braking was much better than the Nokian R2 SUVs I have now, those were pretty terrifying when we got a freak warmish winter day here.

Have not bought GY tires in over 30 years. First, they have many lines of tires, ranging from cheap junk to expensive bad values. And despite being an American company, many of the tires are imported from South America or elsewhere. On the other hand, I can buy Michelin, Yokohama or Nitto tires made in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back