People ruined by social media posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard stories now and then of people who had their lives ruined by malicious social media posts.
I recently heard of a young man who lost his job because of a false claim of rape made by a young woman with whom he'd had a bad breakup a couple of months before.
She apparently decided that she'd get a little revenge so she posted this story on her Facebook page.
I find this frightening and I'm not sure what a victim of someone with malicious intent can do to stop it. As is sometimes observed, you can't unsay something and once something is posted on any web forum, it's effectively immortal even if taken down soon. There is always the possibility of a libel suit, but an unemployed young person probably can't afford an attorney and would be going after what is probably someone with limited enough assets to be effectively judgment proof anyway.
How common is this sort of thing?

Women are given the benefit of doubt.... so they can tell the cops anything they want and you're in big trouble.

I know a supermarket manager accused of sexual harassment and he was fired. Later the district manager found out the truth but it was too late. 17 years down the drain.
smirk.gif

As part of my companies employment screening, social media is reviewed to make sure that the employee is a good fit with the company. They are not strict about the content, but a few things would raise red flags: a pattern of inappropriate public behavior (alcohol, drugs, nudity, violence ) , breaking the law , advocating violence against people, countries or institutions. That is why I counsel caution when posting things on social media, to make sure the content will not come back and burn you. If the HR rep came across negative info such as you describe, it would raise red flags as well, even if it turned out to be false. The HR rep would probably err on the side of caution, and your resume or application would not make it past that level to the hiring manager.

Every single day innocent people are arrested by the cops for whatever reason and even though they've not been convicted of any crime they still have their name published in the newspaper for the whole town to see. This also has an impact on people in a huge way. Even when the District Attorney refuses to press charges based on evidence or lack there of there is never a retraction with explanation.

This is nothing new and one of the tragic exposures people face daily.

I'm waiting for the day I see a paid ad on TV saying, have you been ruined by Social Media? Lawyers are filing a class action suit on your behalf.

I deleted my Facebook account back in 2013. I haven't missed it one bit.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
As part of my companies employment screening, social media is reviewed to make sure that the employee is a good fit with the company. They are not strict about the content,

I'm curious what they do if there is no social media whatsoever for that person? I.E. They have no twitbook, facesnap, pintagram etc. How do they see anything if its not public

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
As part of my companies employment screening, social media is reviewed to make sure that the employee is a good fit with the company. They are not strict about the content,

I'm curious what they do if there is no social media whatsoever for that person? I.E. They have no twitbook, facesnap, pintagram etc. How do they see anything if its not public

In my line of work, it would be extremely unlikely to have zero social media presence . But on the off chance the person has a zero presence, I am not sure what they would think, except for possibly fabricating the resume. That is an interesting question.

Originally Posted by spasm3

In my line of work, it would be extremely unlikely to have zero social media presence . But on the off chance the person has a zero presence, I am not sure what they would think, except for possibly fabricating the resume. That is an interesting question.

And....What is your line of work? I've never had any social media presence unless you count automotive forums as social media?

Originally Posted by FowVay
Every single day innocent people are arrested by the cops for whatever reason and even though they've not been convicted of any crime they still have their name published in the newspaper for the whole town to see. This also has an impact on people in a huge way. Even when the District Attorney refuses to press charges based on evidence or lack there of there is never a retraction with explanation.

This is nothing new and one of the tragic exposures people face daily.

As a LEO, I can admit that there are times when the "law" is distorted by a bad officer; it's unfortunate and deplorable, but it does happen.
However, I'd ask that you admit it's a RARE occurrence when this happens, and that most of the time, the vast majority of cops are doing a good job.

Time for a Civics lesson ...

When an officer arrests someone, he/she should have "probable cause"; something that can be clearly, definitively articulated in a PC affidavit or by Oath (ala 4th Amendment). People are not typically arrested "for whatever reason" ... There is a good reason; the suspect likely broke the law. What happens after that arrest is often out of the officer's hands. Prosecutors are elected and have their own agenda, criteria and directions for their staff. An arrest may be difficult to successfully prosecute if the evidence is not easily corroborated for many reasons such as witness reluctance, judicial directives, monetary constraints, plea deals in exchange for other related/unrelated cases, case diversions, etc.

Why would a retraction be necessary? If the PC was valid for the arrest, why would the law officer's entity be responsible to offer a retraction? Just because someone didn't get convicted, or even prosecuted, does not mean the crime was not committed. I have arrested folks for domestic violence, OWI, battery and other crimes that ultimately were not prosecuted for various reasons beyond my control. But the lack of prosecution does not invalidate the arrest. If the arrest were improper/illegal, then a torte can be filed for a violation of rights. And if that civil case were found in favor of the subject, perhaps then a "retraction" might be warranted, but only then. MOST of the time, folks who are not prosecuted were still arrested for a very good reason, backed up by PC as required by the 4th.

Is it a perfect system? Nope; errors happen, compromises are often difficult to appreciate, etc. But, is it one of the best available, fairest of most options, well established and reasonable? Yes.

Further, we should all be grateful that our names ARE published in the local paper when an arrest occurs. As much as it might be embarrassing or harmful to one's reputation, there is a good reason we have this public announcement ... it's called the 6th Amendment; a "speedy and public trial". While we could debate the "speedy" part, delays are often due to constraints and/or tactics on both sides. But the alternative is one such as what we see in countries which practice heavy-handed jurisprudence like Russia and China, and many in the middle-East, where you're grabbed and jailed, and no one knows where you disappeared to, and no charges are brought for months, if not years, and you waste away in a cell at the hands of tyranny. In fact, the "speedy and public trial" of that 6th Amendment is a promise of our system to deal with a subject fairly and openly, as was NOT the practice in England 300 some years ago ... where Monarchy ruled with an iron fist. I certainly understand the discomfort you object to; that seeing one's name in the paper is embarrassing, but that is a small price to pay for the "right" to be treated fairly and openly. One may not believe it is fair, but that pales in comparison to the horridly objectionable treatment that happens in places where your "right" to an open trial for all to see is denied. It is, in it's shortest definition, about "transparency". We have the right to be tried in public, and not hidden away at the hands of oppression. But the "cost" of that right is that we're also subject to some embarrassment. A very fair and equitable trade if you ask me.

However, this thread is about social media retributions and (IMO) immoral actions of revenge. I don't really think your complaint of newspaper embarrassment is the same topic as that of the OPs. What you speak of is not akin to the reports of people defaming others based on lies where no real control or even scrutiny exists to validate the claims. Hence, social media is perhaps interesting, but not worthy of anything but entertainment. (IMO - most of it's garbage or narcissistic indulgence, but you may feel differently).

PS - I am not on any social media whatsoever ... no FB, IG or TW, or such.

Last edited:
If I ever get pulled over in Indiana I hope it's by you Dnewton3
smile.gif

Strongly agree with "IMO- most of it's garbage or narcissistic indulgence"

Last edited:
I've known people who've been fired from their jobs due to some stupid or asinine comments they've made and their boss sees it. Basically when you're employed by a company,you are a representative of that company. Social media is the most worthless invention that has ever come about.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I've known people who've been fired from their jobs due to some stupid or asinine comments they've made and their boss sees it. Basically when you're employed by a company,you are a representative of that company. Social media is the most worthless invention that has ever come about.

We fired two "lazy and incompetent" mechanics that hid in the shop and played on their phones all day. One was fired for coming in 4 hours early, punching in and sleeping in bosses office
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dnewton3
However, this thread is about social media retributions and (IMO) immoral actions of revenge. I don't really think your complaint of newspaper embarrassment is the same topic as that of the OPs. What you speak of is not akin to the reports of people defaming others based on lies where no real control or even scrutiny exists to validate the claims. Hence, social media is perhaps interesting, but not worthy of anything but entertainment. (IMO - most of it's garbage or narcissistic indulgence, but you may feel differently).

All your points are well taken. Note what happens if someone makes a blatantly false accusation against someone to the police. There are repercussions for that, simply because the police don't like their time wasted on things that didn't happen. There can be lawsuits and so forth over slanderous social media posts, but that's a bit more of a challenge.

You see people get completely ruined by trolls use of Facebook or (especially) Twitter every day. It's a new and disturbing phenomenon. We're also in a time where people are ruined by any (subtle or direct) accusation of wrong doing.

My work recently let someone go for a situation like this. Very sad.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Women are given the benefit of doubt.... so they can tell the cops anything they want and you're in big trouble.

I know a supermarket manager accused of sexual harassment and he was fired. Later the district manager found out the truth but it was too late. 17 years down the drain.
smirk.gif

Whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty? That rule should apply in every situation, not just in a court room...

Be careful what you do or say anywhere on the Internet.

I used to share quite a bit more detail on another website, about the hobby I've pursued for years, as there seemed to be some genuine interest. Some other member or just someone viewing the website tried to cause problems for me with people I was helping at the time. They didn't succeed, but it was an eye-opener as to just how cowardly and devious some people can be.

That is why I am so cautious (to near paranoia) about photos and personal information. I have a lifetime quota of one creepy stalker, and I have already hit it.

One must realize the role of an employer. If we don't whip out the machine gun to deal with spilt milk, we are found to have intentionally aided and promoted whatever acts an employee has taken. Either throw the baby out with the bath water, or be sued and harassed into oblivion.

Social media has only made this situation more dangerous. Because of all of the "it started on social media" bombastic stories that have come out, we are expected to know everything an employer may be up to.

I sadly had to get on someone's case recently about pro 2A social media postings. I made it clear that I did not want to wake up to a bunch of bratty high schoolers blocking my gates, so either **** or leave. It's not just his job on the line, It's everyone else's too. It was a sad duty, because I agreed with most of what he wrote. But we live in the world we live in, and I don't feel like telling people the whole company needs to go sit on the couch while we go bankrupt from a stupid lawsuit or teenagers playing dead in our lot. Those idiots are less than an hour's drive from us. May as well strap a steak to our backs and run through the Serengeti.

I've never had to deal with that or sexual harassment, but SH is the worst situations to deal with. How many employees is one willing to sacrifice to try and save one? Companies have no real choice in this matter. Unless you're a giant, all you can do it can the accused and hope you acted quickly enough to keep things from getting really out of control.

It's generally not about punishing the accused. It's more like there being no point in fighting a battle an employer can't win. The various social and legal systems leave employers with pretty much no way to protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back