5 Gallons in a Generator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize there are many factors to take into consideration in attempting to answer this question. Just humor me, pretty please??

How long would a 3500 watt generator run on 5 gallons of gas running a freezer and 2 refrigerators?

What would the minimum time be?

Reason I'm asking is the generator is running 1 1/2 hours from my house. I'll have to go and put more gas in before it runs out. In other words, how long can I know it will run with a 90% certainty?

Last edited:
Could I reasonably expect a 12 hour run time? A 24 hour run time?

Usually generators publish full and half load fuel consumption per hour. You're probably between half and full load as the units cycle on and off. With all 3 running at once probably 2/3-3/4 load but when all 3 aren't running probably less than half load.

I would split the difference between half and full load fuel consumption for a baseline estimate. Or use full load fuel consumption as a conservative estimate. But you're probably closer to the 12 hour run time than 24.

I can run a Honda 6500 watt with a 6 gal tank for roughly 10-12 hours running with half load. Refrigerator, TV, and some lights. If powering the camp trailer full load about 7 hours @ full throttle.

Manufacturer should give you a 1/4, half ,and full load run time.

A WA guesstimate on a 5-er running 3 compressors with no one going into the fridges or freezers -would be 15-20 hours

UD

So it seems I would be good for 12 hrs. If it runs out at 10 hours stuff would still stay cold til I got there. The power is not supposed to be restored until Sunday at 10 pm.

Just trying to minimize trips while preserving my Moms frozen stuff.

Originally Posted by Gebo
So it seems I would be good for 12 hrs. If it runs out at 10 hours stuff would still stay cold til I got there. The power is not supposed to be restored until Sunday at 10 pm.

Just trying to minimize trips while preserving my Moms frozen stuff.

any grocery stores(or ice cream shops, etc) in your area sell dry ice?it's a little pricey compared to the wet stuff but stays colder longer...

Is there a way to consolidate so that all the frozen is together and everything else is in one fridge? That would help conserve some fuel.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I realize there are many factors to take into consideration in attempting to answer this question. Just humor me, pretty please??

How long would a 3500 watt generator run on 5 gallons of gas running a freezer and 2 refrigerators?

What would the minimum time be?

Reason I'm asking is the generator is running 1 1/2 hours from my house. I'll have to go and put more gas in before it runs out. In other words, how long can I know it will run with a 90% certainty?

Im going to assume that the refrigerators are modern and pull something like 700W.

So let's say all three items pull about that.

Maximum continuous load is 2100W.

1 gallon of gasoline is around 33.7 kWh electrical.

These constant speed generators are very inefficient, so let's call it 15%.

So 2100We (Watts-electric) requires 14000Wth (Watts-thermal) to get the job done, assuming 15% generator efficiency.

So on an hourly basis, if all three items were running continuously, your loads would pull 2100W for 1hr, and consume 2.1kWh(kiloWatt-hours) electrical. However, the thermal value of the fuel going in would need to be 14000W for one hour, or 14kWh.

So if all three loads were running continuous, you would be consuming a little less than 0.5gal/hr.

See how I got that? We have to correlate the thermal energy in a volumtric unit (gallon) to an electrical draw, adjusted by generator efficiency. Thermal value going in relates to electrical value going out by the factor of efficiency, and we know the volumetric thermal value of gasoline.

So by that logic, 5 gallons would get you a bit more than 10 hours.

BUT!!!!!

We know that for one thing, its not that hot out, and for another, that none of these loads operate all the time. The newer high efficiency refrigerators like I used will pull less energy, longer (my 700W number is from a HE refrigerator), but kept closed it will run what? half time? quarter time?

Interestingly, a 2000 research report indicated the following:

One can begin by recognizing two very common characteristics of most refrigerators. Over a broad range of models and vintages, the operating characteristics of refrigerators appear the same. A refrigerator turns on, runs for a while, turns off and is off for a while. It then turns on again and the cycle repeats. A typical, steady-state cycle is about 40 minutes with the duty cycle, or per cent running time, being about 50 percent for standard temperature differences between the food compartment of the refrigerator and the room in which the refrigerator is placed. In other words, a typical, properly operating refrigerator runs about 20 minutes and is off 20 minutes. For automatic defrost models, a second cycle is superimposed on top of the primary cycle. The defrost cycle commonly runs with an 18 to 36 hour period and displays a sharp peak for only 10 to 20 minutes. The characteristics of the primary cycle has been remarkably stable at 40 minutes for thirty or more years.

https://publications.anl.gov/anlpubs/2000/04/35529.pdf

Perhaps more interesting is the logged data, which shows a much smaller load. The chart shows 10 minute periods of logging, and the average load across those 10 minute periods. My assumption above is based upon a small margin above the sticker on my refrigerator... FWIW.

So, from here, its "in God we trust, all others bring data". You NEED to get a kill-a-watt meter and determine average power draw, at least steady state (non-defrost), to get real numbers.

But my assessment, is that if we assume a 50% duty cycle, you can get 20 hours out of the generator. My error bars would be small on the side saying youll get less time, and big on the side saying youll get more time (IOW, if you cant run that long, it wont be much less, and quite possibkly you can run MUCH longer).

Plus if you leave the doors closed, the food wont defrost or warm up in the subsequent time.

In each freeze a cup of water and put a coin on the top of the ice. If the coin is still on top when you return, all is well - if its not, you know it got somewhat warmer...

Good luck!

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.03.54 PM.png

Originally Posted by Chris142
Even if it runs out of gas they should still stay cold for hours if not opened.

this!

Many Years ago, during a snow storm the elect went out, and it was at least 48 hours before they were able to restore it, and our chest type freezer stayed frozen like a brick.

I would expect a 12-18 hour run time AKA refill cycle. This might include a couple hours of coasting at the end if it's out of fuel.

3500 watts is actually oversized, but you run what you can get. A smaller generator would be more efficient but they come with 1 gal tanks so have less time between fuelings. If you can find a 1/4 load rating that should be close. At least you know it won't stall if by some horrible coincidence all the motors kick on simultaneously.

My newish (2011) fridge starts at 500 watts but tapers down to 200 watts after a bit. Some sort of variable whatever compressor. Many are like this. 2nd the Kill-a-watt idea.

Fridges also run a defrost cycle every 18 hours or so with a door-heater that guzzles power randomly. Look for an "eco" switch to turn this off.

I see everyone is saying around 12 hours but that is not my experience. I got about 7 hours on a "new" generator running about 50% load. Sorry to be the outlier, just trying to help. A frig and freezer does not have to run all the time, they can keep cold a long time.
I would try to not let it run out of gas. A coughing and chocking generator that is running out of gas can damage a compressor but if it only happens once you might be ok. I would go back in 8 hours and see how much gas is left, then you will know how often to go back.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
I see everyone is saying around 12 hours but that is not my experience. I got about 7 hours on a "new" generator running about 50% load. Sorry to be the outlier, just trying to help. A frig and freezer does not have to run all the time, they can keep cold a long time.
I would try to not let it run out of gas. A coughing and chocking generator that is running out of gas can damage a compressor but if it only happens once you might be ok. I would go back in 8 hours and see how much gas is left, then you will know how often to go back.

how much gas is that?

if you have a 2000w generator at 50% load you run out of gas much faster than a 4000w at 1/4 load.. simply because bigger generator = bigger gas tank.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
A coughing and chocking generator that is running out of gas can damage a compressor but if it only happens once you might be ok. I would go back in 8 hours and see how much gas is left, then you will know how often to go back.

The nicer, newer AVR generators kill the engine spark when the power dips below its safe level. It's not great but it's less bad than the old ones. Without spark the load on the windings should bring things to a halt in a second or two. A super nice unit would have a relay/breaker that removes power from the outlets when un-sat.

I would say 10 to 12 hours but freezers and fridge should stay cold for several hours with no power if they are kept closed. During a Hurricane mine sat without power for 5 hours daily and were fine.

Last edited:
Well, 2.5 gallons have lasted 6 hours so far. I'm here and am gonna run it dry.

Hint: When running those small generators, if it has two, 120V outlets (or 2 banks, of 120V outlets) try to split the load across both sets evenly. If you plug one extension cord into one outlet then, power all the devices from the end of that extension cord, the load on the generator will be unbalanced. When those small engines run unbalanced, their speed governors have a hard time holding at 60Hz and they will burn fuel inefficiently.

If necessary run two sets of extension cords, each plugged into one of the 120V outlets and power the loads evenly as possible across the two lines.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back