Any roofers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend called me a little while ago asking my advice. I gave an opinion and told him I'd find out for sure, although it doesn't matter now.

He did a repair on a flat roof bump out above his mother's front door. The roof is tar. He cleaned it up and resurfaced it with this Flashing Cement about 18 hours ago and it is raining now. It is not the stuff that can be applied to wet or dry surfaces or before rain. Which is what I would have used. Will this stuff run off the roof and mess up the siding with about 18 hours dry time? He claims it is no thicker than 1/8" and was in the sun and wind for a few hours before night time. It did have about 18 hours of no rain.

You're right... nothing can be done now but 18 hours is good, long time. Especially if he had the same breezy and sunny weather we had in NJ yesterday.

Tried looking online - I can't even find this product on mfg website...?

Wish I had a better answer for you

With it being a Tar type Product, I would think your Friend is good to go,
as long as he cleaned up the area and it was dry before applying.

They do sell some roof repair tars that can be applied to wet surfaces.
I myself would prefer clean and DRY patch area.

i'm not a roofer, but I think it should have dried enough not to drip onto the siding. It might by a bit sticky still. Hopefully it holds up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. If I talk to him over the weekend I'll find out for sure.

My parents have a flat roof and i can tell you to be very careful what you put on it. Many chemicals especially roofing related are NOT compatible. I would have used Gaco sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back