Hurricane Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
alarm guy,

That's easy for you to say all that cause you are not on the coast where and when a hurricane hits.

Columbia, SC is far from the coast.

I do love Florida, but this kind of thing is rather stressful and Florida has more than it's fair share of hurricanes. Having experienced a few direct hits myself, I feel for the people hit hard by the storm.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I do love Florida, but this kind of thing is rather stressful and Florida has more than it's fair share of hurricanes. Having experienced a few direct hits myself, I feel for the people hit hard by the storm.

There's no where a storm can hit Florida that has not been heavily developed. Same here in NC. Subdivisions built in flood plains.

Florida has learned a lot of lessons about hurricanes. Most of them were hard lessons, but life goes on. Been dealing with these most of my life. All you can do is prepare, and strategize.

We just stayed at the Aqua Condo near Pier Point in PCB for 8 days. Left just before the storm and stayed at my sons place in Gainesville.

My power went out at 2:30 pm today. It's still out 7 hours later. A huge Oak tree fell one block over and the power company is swamped with outages. My house is the only one in the neighborhood with power thanks to my hard wired generator I installed 18 years ago after an ice storm cut the power for 3 days. I loaned a neighbor my small HF generator to power his refrigerator and a couple of lights. I don't use my generator often, but when needed it's a God send!

Originally Posted by gman2304
My power went out at 2:30 pm today. It's still out 7 hours later. A huge Oak tree fell one block over and the power company is swamped with outages. My house is the only one in the neighborhood with power thanks to my hard wired generator I installed 18 years ago after an ice storm cut the power for 3 days. I loaned a neighbor my small HF generator to power his refrigerator and a couple of lights. I don't use my generator often, but when needed it's a God send!

I'm on generator power now, power has been off since last night. A lot of flooding and trees down everywhere.

Running my well pump and whole house on an 8k portable, its older and uses a lot of fuel no load control. I'm looking to get a new one.

Saw a helo video from a flyover of Tyndall AFB. Extensive damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the base, and moved the bit of operations they have there down the road to Eglin or Hulbert AFB.

A static display F-15 was flipped over on it's back. Hangers had the roofs blown off, aircraft inside were covered in debris, and it looked like one F-16 drone was partially on top of another.

if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards, I imagine the town is just devastated.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards

No more cushy hotels for them
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I've been to Panama City 3 times, and to Mexico Beach where the eye went through. Use to have lunch at a nice restaurant on the beach, which is probably totally leveled now. Aftermath videos looks like an atomic bomb hit that place. It's going to take years to rebuild it all.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Saw a helo video from a flyover of Tyndall AFB. Extensive damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the base, and moved the bit of operations they have there down the road to Eglin or Hulbert AFB.

A static display F-15 was flipped over on it's back. Hangers had the roofs blown off, aircraft inside were covered in debris, and it looked like one F-16 drone was partially on top of another.

if the base had that much damage considering the construction standards, I imagine the town is just devastated.

All the F22s were moved out before the hurricane came in. What was left behind were probably the unmanned drones they use for target practice. Lot's of high tech stuff at Tyndall, and it probably all got destroyed beyond being usable. The AF lost a lot of training capabilities, etc was there, which will take a very long time to recover from.

Yeah, I was stationed in Okinawa, Hawaii, and the Florida Panhandle during my time in the AF. Ex-Wife went through a hurricane or two in each place, but I was gone for each one. We always flew the fighters off station in a hurricane (or typhoon) evacuation.

I'm back after the hurricane. Yes, Mexico Beach is leveled. We had Cat 1 to Cat 2 here. Albany, Ga got hit pretty hard. The City of Albany Utilities power grid was taken out. The eye went over us, here in Leslie, GA. The pecan crop has severe damage along with the cotton crop. We made out pretty good, no power for 3 days. Thanks goes out to Georgia Power.

One thing due to Michael was a squadron? of around 30 F16's relocated near my home at mostly stuttered Pease Air Force Base.

A nice little air show for a week coming in and out.

One thing that amazed me from watching the after storm aerial views is that there were some houses on the beach that were totally leveled, then right next to it, some houses were standing that didn't even loose their roof. Wonder what kind of building material/codes they followed. Lived in Guam for 10 years and I've been through my share of typhoons. One thing about Guam, they are built for it. All houses are made of concrete and have concrete, flat roofs. We'd loose power/water for maybe 5-7 days, but other than that, most of the infrastructures remained intact. The biggest thing was getting enough ice to keep the beer cold. All perishable food was cooked on grills and made for some pretty good parties!!!!

Originally Posted by madRiver
One thing due to Michael was a squadron? of around 30 F16's relocated near my home at mostly stuttered Pease Air Force Base.

A nice little air show for a week coming in and out.

I'm surprised they would fly so far away when lots of other military bases much closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back