generator

Have you calculated your starting load and peak load? Get one big enough, but not too big.

8500 watts might be needed if you have a well pump, especially if its a 2 wire on the larger HP side.

More power = more thirst for gas.

I think propane is the best answer for a generator. Get a 100 gallon tank. The stuff lasts forever.

Now if you have AC or heat pump, then 8500 might only touch the surface.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax...rizontal1_rr-_-306545964-_-300659728-_-N

Last edited:
If it doesn't have a brand you know to make engines it's going to be a chonda.

Sams normally has a generator with a Honda GX390 for $1000.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
"457cc OHV 4-Stroke Westinghouse engine "

That means it is a Chinese Honda clone.

Thats what i was afraid of, i figured if it was not a clone, someone here would know.

i have gas heat( gas wh also) and a well pump. My current 8k/10 surge does fine.

I would find out who actually manufactures the generator as I believe Westinghouse is no longer anything but a name. A few years back one of my neighbors bought a Stanley branded generator that was not manufactured by Stanley, but by some company that merely paid a licensing fee to Stanley.

The actual manufacturer was a Chinese concern, and the US operation that imported them, marketed them, and allegedly supported the generators provided horrible technical and parts support to not only the end users but also to those repair facilities in their service network. Unfortunately, my neighbor did have a bunch of problems from the get go and was finally able to get his money refunded by the warehouse club he purchased it from.

Do a little online research first to find out who makes the engine, parts availability, service network, etc., just in case you have any problems.

As and aside, I purchased a Coleman Powermate Generator with a Briggs and Stratton engine from Home Depot about 20 years ago, and within one year the engine would not turn over when I pulled the starter rope. Home Depot referred me to a repair shop about 1 mile from my house that was in the Coleman Powemate repair network, took it over, and three days later I picked up the repaired generator and have never had another major problem since. Also, parts for the B&S engine are readily available should I have a problem in the future.

Good luck!

If you just need it for occasional power outages, I'd choose one without the electric start. No battery to maintain and quite a bit less dollars. My 18 year old Troybilt has a 10 hp B&S and has always started on the first pull. I ran it 6 hours last night, and mine was the only house in my neighborhood that had power. I had an electrician hard wire into my breaker panel. IIRC mine is the 8500/5500 watt model. I bought mine at Lowe's and it has been a life saver during Hurricanes and ice storms. On a side note, how's the Avalanche running? My 2005 tripped 200,000 miles last week on a trip to the Smoky mountains while pulling a motorcycle trailer. It still runs like a top, but is a thirsty beast!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
thanks i don't want a chonda engine.

Well.......... they CAN be pretty decent. it ALL depends on the QC at wherever the contract is filled.

I second the Advice to look at the yellow Champion generators...

I bought a "refurbished" Champion from someone in New York state and it has been an A+ generator.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

There's no way I'd pay over a grand for a portable generator like this unless it was a Honda.

I know the Chinese generators can work for quite some time without issue. However, many years down the road, parts and support remains difficult or impossible in some cases.

I always suggest a Honda powered, open frame generator with a quality generator head. For years, Northern Tool made a Honda 390cc powered, McAlte gen-head equipped unit. Unfortunately, Northern Tool has now switched to Chinese generator heads on that model.

That's a rather high capacity unit as far as portable gas powered generators go. Are you sure you need that much power for emergencies? What's the capacity of the current one?

Originally Posted by gman2304
If you just need it for occasional power outages, I'd choose one without the electric start. No battery to maintain and quite a bit less dollars. My 18 year old Troybilt has a 10 hp B&S and has always started on the first pull. I ran it 6 hours last night, and mine was the only house in my neighborhood that had power. I had an electrician hard wire into my breaker panel. IIRC mine is the 8500/5500 watt model. I bought mine at Lowe's and it has been a life saver during Hurricanes and ice storms. On a side note, how's the Avalanche running? My 2005 tripped 200,000 miles last week on a trip to the Smoky mountains while pulling a motorcycle trailer. It still runs like a top, but is a thirsty beast!

Avalanche is doing fine, towed my camper from greensboro nc to Sevierville tn last month. Tows so much better with the ecm tune.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
That's a rather high capacity unit as far as portable gas powered generators go. Are you sure you need that much power for emergencies? What's the capacity of the current one?

I'm running the whole house on an 8k generator right now. I want the ability to run the well pump an the a/c or heat as well as lights and cooking! 8k seems about right so far.

Powering
1/2 horse well pump. Gas furnace or the 4 ton a/c unit. refrigerator and freestanding deep freezer. And of course the Direct TV and this computer.

4ton a/c should be around 3500-4000 watts.

It would be advantageous to get the smallest generator that operates your max load..
for fuel efficiency.

unless you plan on storing massive gas.
For example a 3 day outage on that generator could use between 30gal(25% load) to over 60+ gallons easily.
it also only has a 30amp 240v receptacle (7200w).. so wiring it could be difficult

Last edited:
That generator is an exact duplicate to the Harbor Freight one I got except my HF only cost $549.00. I have used mine a lot and it has been super reliable. Pretty sure the Chonda engine on it is made by Lifan. Anyway, the go kart racing folks have been using those Predator engines souping them up and they have been holding up great. We live out rural with a well and have had several long term 8+ hour outages. Carried the well pump, refrigerators, freezer, lights, and gas furnace, no problem. Had to do manual load sharing via switching breakers to run electric hot water tank, but I didn't want to push it to 100%

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
4ton a/c should be around 3500-4000 watts.

It would be advantageous to get the smallest generator that operates your max load..
for fuel efficiency.

unless you plan on storing massive gas.
For example a 3 day outage on that generator could use between 30gal(25% load) to over 60+ gallons easily.
it also only has a 30amp 240v receptacle (7200w).. so wiring it could be difficult

I'm wired already! Our outages are usually 1-2 days max. it was about 30 hours, power is back on now.

Back