Right stuff diff cover side, #2 case side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing out the oil of a dana 60 and 80 on a 97 dodge ctd. I spent allot of time removing the old silicone from the differential cover and case and decided I don't want to do that next time and ordered a few paper gaskets to try a method Ive had good luck with so far. Iv used this method on other engine covers, but never a differential cover

I usually adhere the gasket to the cover side with the Right Stuff, then apply Permatex #2 non drying on the case side so that I can remove the cover easily and reuse the gasket. I install it quickly and snugged up maybe 10 lbs, and then torque it home 30-60 minutes later. Ive read removing parts the right stuff has been used on is even more difficult than RTV, so I definitely don't want to use it that way.

Has anyone used this method on a differential? I don't see why if wouldn't work, but just throwing this out there.

Thanks!

I don't do the whole gasket+RTV thing.

I've used a plain paper gasket, nothing on either side. And lubelocker gaskets, both with success.

I've read on here before about people using "The Right Stuff" and always wondered how they made out when it came time to remove it? From my experience, the "Stuff" is super stuff and would be very hard to remove?

I used some on my snowmobile trailer lid where a small section of the lid broke away from the frame that was caused by the previous owner. The Right Stuff was recommended to me by my buddy and it worked excellent but it dried hard and permanent, imo.

Personally, I couldn't imagine trying to remove it from anything so I would definitely choose/pick something else for my diff covers.

It's been years since I did a diff cover but I believe I used Hylomar something or other the last time I did one. No idea what's out there now that is likely better, but using "The Right Stuff", imo, is overkill and unnecessary.

You should only be using the gasket, no RTV. I am also going to experiment with a paper gasket on my next diff service because I hate scraping the RTV. The annoying thing about paper gaskets in high temp applications (coolant or oil sealing surfaces) is that it hardens and also becomes a pain to scrape off. I am hoping that since diffs don't really get hot, that the paper should peel right off on the next service.

If I use a " sealer " + gasket , I tend to use the " sealer " on the removable part . That way I can get it out ( to remove the gasket & sealer ) where I can better work on it . I do not use " sealer " on the " non-removable " surface .

Originally Posted by irv
I've read on here before about people using "The Right Stuff" and always wondered how they made out when it came time to remove it? From my experience, the "Stuff" is super stuff and would be very hard to remove?

I used some on my snowmobile trailer lid where a small section of the lid broke away from the frame that was caused by the previous owner. The Right Stuff was recommended to me by my buddy and it worked excellent but it dried hard and permanent, imo.

Personally, I couldn't imagine trying to remove it from anything so I would definitely choose/pick something else for my diff covers.

It's been years since I did a diff cover but I believe I used Hylomar something or other the last time I did one. No idea what's out there now that is likely better, but using "The Right Stuff", imo, is overkill and unnecessary.
I think right stuff is for applications that are leak prone, or see elevated temperatures like that recent thread regarding valve cover gaskets on a Mopar 440. People are going to start using it on everything to prevent comebacks if it is effective, the next person to wrench on that component be dammed. I didn't know about Hylomar until I read about it on this forum, but the right stuff is ubiquitous.

My only foray into paper gaskets ended up with a very slow leak that drove me crazy. Lubelocker or RTV are my only choices.

The truck came factory with rtv, but Ive had such good luck with the combo I mentioned, I'm using it again on the diffs. I installed a oil pan on a different cummins this way, and throughout the engine, and its never leaked a drop. New owner loves it..

Less the $20 for the gaskets and maybe $5 for the sealer and service will be a breeze, only having to wipe off the old #2 and applying new.

Not even concerned that it will hold the precious amsoil..

Maybe this post was more me saying.. "hey guys, try this.."

Last edited:
I've used the Right Stuff on diff covers and all kinds of other things before and never had a problem with taking things apart or getting the residue off. It's nothing a wire wheel can't take off.

I used a Lubelocker gasket on my 14 Mustang GT when I switched diff covers and after almost 30,000 miles still no leaks.

Use the Permatex gear oil RTV. Works great, never had a leak. Papergaskets MAY give you an annoying leak overtime, only solution is to loose $45 worth of gear oil and reseal.

The only time used rtv was when I installed a chrome diff cover on my Silverado as the chrome ones have a reputation of leaking. Never leaked. I only use OEM or felpro gaskets, never any issues

I drove the truck to work today and not a drop.. Looks like we all have our favorite ways to seal up the pumpkin.. But I'll swear by a good paper gasket, adhered to the cover with the right stuff and permatex #2 on the case side. A thin layer of both and install the part quickly.

I always use RTV and let it set up for 24 hours before filling. It holds so well it has to be chiseled off, stays sealed even after all the bolts have been removed. Yes it is a hassle to remove.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by irv

I think right stuff is for applications that are leak prone, or see elevated temperatures like that recent thread regarding valve cover gaskets on a Mopar 440. People are going to start using it on everything to prevent comebacks if it is effective, the next person to wrench on that component be dammed. I didn't know about Hylomar until I read about it on this forum, but the right stuff is ubiquitous.

I believe the Hylomar stuff was a spray? Once everything was cleaned up/wiped up squeaky clean, I sprayed the diff cover then the gasket (both sides) applied the gasket to the cover then installed it? Like I mentioned, it has been a few years but it worked for me if I am recalling what I did correctly?

hylomar300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back