Noisy brakes on '10 Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've battled noisy brakes on my Frontier for ever! It sounds like it comes from the rear, and it's always under light brake pressure (like a drive through or a parking lot). The OEM pads did it, the first set of aftermarket pads (Power Stop) did it on OEM rotors, and the current pair does it (Wagner Thermoquiet) on Chinese rotors. If the brakes are really hot, it doesn't do it as bad, but usually when I'm doing light brake pressure, the brakes are cold, or have at least cooled down. You can also hear it when you first start to press the brakes as you start to slow down for a traffic light, there is a squeal until you press them more firmly.

I've tried various different brake lubes for all the hardware, I even tried the red/pink brake quiet rubber coating on the back of the Power Stop pads. It doesn't seem to make any difference. New hardware is installed each time the brakes are done, including the caliper pins. Nothing seems to help!

I wanted to ask here and see if anyone has any suggestions? I'm needing new brakes soon, and I'm almost wondering if it's not something wrong with the rear calipers? Might be worth a shot to change those?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Brian

I thought truck brakes are supposed to squeal?
smile.gif

Sound like you did almost everything you could.

Maybe use an organic compound (read CHEAPER) pads, chamfer the leading edges with a file, and I like to cut a couple slots at least 1/2 way through the pad material with a metal blade hacksaw to make 3 sections - and cut on the bias (diagonal).

Remotely, the Rubber main leaf u-bolt shoe rubber isolator pads may be missing or gone - which could transmit brake racket into the chassis

Last edited:
Are you lubing the appropriate parts .

I also live in Texas . I have never replaced brake hardware unless I damaged it or it is MIA . However , perhaps replacing the hardware is something else you could try ?

Best of luck to you . :)

Does the rear calipers come with a damper on one of the caliper mounting bolts? It looks like this (off a Ford F150) and is factory in some cars to combat low frequency noise (moaning and squealing) when applying the brakes.

[Linked Image]

There is a aftermarket addon from Raybestos for your truck that takes one per side and if you tried everything so I'd give these a shot.

I haven't dug into it at all yet but... My 2016 Frontier has a squeak/Squeal at low speeds with light brake pressure. Still on factory brakes, just hit 20k miles. So you're not alone haha.

I have a similar situation on my 2012 4X4 Frontier (70,000 miles) and it seems to originate in the front.

The noise seems to only be present on light braking in very humid weather and after a period of dry dusty weather.

The pads have plenty of material so to-date I theorize this to be dust mixing with moisture at the surfaces.

Anxious to hear of other theories and or actual causes for this intermittent noise.

Do you use the parking brake? Non-use of the parking brake can cause rear caliper failure. Nissan usually incorporates the parking brake into the rear calipers, and also Nissan seems to have issues with rear calipers being a common problem on them.

Knowing that about Nissans, I would recommend replacing the rear calipers anyway. Napa Eclipse and Cardone Ultra are the best ones to get.

You may want to consider ceramic pads like Akebono (they also make their high performance ASP pads for your Frontier, if you like). I have also heard good things on here about Hawk LTS truck pads.

Do your pads have wear indicators on them? If your pads are low and you know you need brakes, the wear indicator could be triggered.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Do you use the parking brake? Non-use of the parking brake can cause rear caliper failure. Nissan usually incorporates the parking brake into the rear calipers, and also Nissan seems to have issues with rear calipers being a common problem on them.

The Frontier uses an internally expanding drum brake for the parking brake. It works independently of the caliper and rarely causes any issues.

i guess i am fortunate as my 11 fronty SV brakes quietly! i removed the OE discs pads because the rears were wearing poorly + E- brake poor even after adjusting in the console, only 28 thou but a hard life in salty Mass as i found out on CarFax. i took it ALL apart + cleaned everything good + lubed per instructions with the EBC kit, plain fully coated higher carbon rotors + yellow pads. it brakes better than before + minimal dust. on the other hand my 2001 TT is a squealer @ lower speeds. the pads with the Wilwood front were pretty quiet, but liking hawk pads i got a set + they braked better but squealed a LOT, even cleaned + relubed + noticed when i put the Wilwood pads back on the hawk pads rear backer was about destroyed. squealing brakes are annoying for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back