2017 Altima extended oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Altima 2.5. I'm looking to go as long as reasonably possible using an "off the shelf" synthetic oil (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc.). What is generally considered the longest you should on an oil change with these oils? 7.5k miles? 10k miles?

10k is good normally but you'd first want to do a UOA to see if it can be stretched that long. So do UOA at say 6k and take it from there. Seems like you are under warranty so play it safe and follow OLM.

Your owners manual states to change the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals under normal use conditions using 0W-20 oil. I have a Frontier pickup with the QR25DE engine and it also states to change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles except to use 5W-30 oil. No manufacturer specific specifications are called for, just the normal API SN and ILSAC GF-5. These engines seem to shear oil rather quickly and have a very small filter. For longevity I chose not to try to extend my drain interval past Nissan's recommendations.

Don't forget to follow the other maintenance requirements in the manual which include brake fluid at 20,000 mile intervals, cabin air filter at 15,000 mile intervals and engine air fiilter at 30,000 miles. The cabin air filter isn't going to increase vehicle life but the oil and brake fluid changes and engine air filter replacement certainly will.

Originally Posted by FowVay
Your owners manual states to change the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals under normal use conditions using 0W-20 oil. I have a Frontier pickup with the QR25DE engine and it also states to change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles except to use 5W-30 oil. No manufacturer specific specifications are called for, just the normal API SN and ILSAC GF-5. These engines seem to shear oil rather quickly and have a very small filter. For longevity I chose not to try to extend my drain interval past Nissan's recommendations.

Don't forget to follow the other maintenance requirements in the manual which include brake fluid at 20,000 mile intervals, cabin air filter at 15,000 mile intervals and engine air fiilter at 30,000 miles. The cabin air filter isn't going to increase vehicle life but the oil and brake fluid changes and engine air filter replacement certainly will.

^^^^^

Very good post here. My Nissan Altima VQ has 245k miles on it and is kicking rear end still : )

Stick with Nissan's oem recommendation. Don'y buy into the oil makers' silly extended oci stuff.

Since I'll be under warranty for ~6 more months, I'll follow the manufactures recommended oci. After that, I may try an uoa and try to extend the oci, if possible....I'm just trying to avoid getting an oil change ever two months if I can.

Speaking of brake fluid, why does it need changed so frequently?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs water. Water lowers the boiling point of the fluid.
Regular brake fluid service is probably the most neglected service.
On a vehicle that is neglected, a brake fluid flush will give you a better pedal.

I would't go past what the manual calls for on the filter unless you want to change the filter and keep going on the same oil because they are such small filters usually on Nissan vehicles. I would also use at least one oil analysis to determine safe OCI for the oil.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Plus, the (bigger) Honda filter fits. That's what I use.

Just for my own info, does the technical specs match on both filters? Eg: the flow rate, maximum PSI, bypass etc. ?

I have been doing 10K OCIs for 40 years with various M1 oils in several different types of engines. Never a problem, and I don't waste money on UOAs.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Plus, the (bigger) Honda filter fits. That's what I use.

Just for my own info, does the technical specs match on both filters? Eg: the flow rate, maximum PSI, bypass etc. ?

Dunno that much about it; sorry StevieC.
Did a quick look on Fram website, compared XG6607 AND XG7317.
By Pass Valve is both 13.
The gasket size is slightly different.

The 7317 was used on earlier Nissans, both 4 and 6 cylinder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

No, because one is oversize, so it's a bit longer. Just ribbing you, Stevie.
wink.gif
Yes, they're pretty much the same, at least for the Wix filters, and probably across the board. Nissan actually specs the longer filter for a few of their applications, notably the V8s and some of the 3.5 varieties, depending upon the install, and a bunch of other seemingly random applications.

I use the oversize on occasion, since it gives me a silicone ADBV with the Wix and is actually cheaper. The quick lubes give everyone the shorty because they want to consolidate inventory (I've never seen where the long one wouldn't fit) and only dealers and shops are allowed to go out of spec, not us lowly mortals. As I mentioned in the filter subforum, on these engines, Wix actually has four that will fit it, and I've tried them all with no problems. Wix changed the base plate, with the 51358 being the short one, 56356 being the long one, 51365 being the original short and 51356 being the original long.

Does the longer filter provide any benefit? Maybe if one were wanting to extend their oil change interval?

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Since I'll be under warranty for ~6 more months, I'll follow the manufactures recommended oci. After that, I may try an uoa and try to extend the oci, if possible....I'm just trying to avoid getting an oil change ever two months if I can.

Speaking of brake fluid, why does it need changed so frequently?

Good idea to wait until the warranty is up, then go for whatever you like. Regarding brake fluid changes, I do it every two years. Me I'm not a fan of 10K OCI's or longer, in fact I wouldn't buy a car from a person who ran oil that long in this neck of the woods. But as the saying goes, "to each his own."

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Does the longer filter provide any benefit? Maybe if one were wanting to extend their oil change interval?

The longer filter provides a small amount of additional filtration media. There are no benefits nor are there any downsides to using one.

Interesting discussion on tiny Nissan filters. . I do oil changes on sons 2006 Altima 2.5 and it has a tiny filter. I change the oil twice a year, basically when I see the vehicle, June or so and December using primarily Mobil 1 EP 5W30 or Pennzoil PP. The OCI is anywhere from 6,000-8,000 miles and he now has 190,000 on it and not really using any oil (not using a HM oil) and either Mobil 1 or Nissan filters. The transmission has had multiple drains and fills with Amsoil ATF, never have dropped the pan.

Only issue now is a head gasket that when engine gets cold (primarily winter months) tiny cracks in head gasket that open overnight permit coolant to seep into cylinders and burn coolant at start up. No other coolant leaks, tests negative so head gasket. Going to try a sealer this winter to stop the overnight consumption of coolant but otherwise still runs fine. Had a similar problem in Camry and sealer did the trick with an old head gasket.

Also, have reams of paper on UOA from eyars ago I concur with above comment that UOA are basically useless, you need a lot of them to establish a trend and in the end, really nothing you can do about the wear except change oil more often and that is not really a cure, just less wear metals showing up.

Last edited:
How many miles per year do you drive? What type of driving? With our 2016 Nissan Quest with the QV35DE engine, I change oil/filter at 6-7K miles. We do ~20K miles/year with basically no short trips or excessive stop/go.

My driving is ~20% in town and ~80% highway. I'm generally easy, meaning, minimal rapid accelerations, etc. I'm not in dusty or harsh conditions. But, the temperature here in the Midwest can be well below freezing to approaching 100 degrees depending on the season. I generally drive around 30k miles per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back