Pennzoil Euro L in Honda 2.0T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a decent stash of this. A few questions:

General thoughts about using this in my Accord 2.0t?

Does Dexos2 stack up to Dexos 1 in terms of lspi protection?

Any downsides to using this oil?

I'm pretty committed to using a 5w30 in this car...a turbo 4 needs some higher hths and more fuel dilution protection than the suggested 0w20.

Thanks.

Aside from being out of spec, which would concern some for warranty purposes, it would work fine. Now, you may have to watch your intervals, given that this is is a C3 type lower TBN lubricant. As for LSPI, I cannot say, but this type of lubricant is commonly used in direct injection gasoline engines in Europe and elsewhere.

Yes, it certainly is. Now, Honda calls for an SN/GF-5 0w-20. How picky they would be if there were a warranty issue is completely out of my control. Aside from that, from a mechanical standpoint it would work perfectly fine, but if it were me, I'd watch the OCI length, given the C3.

Originally Posted by Garak
Now, you may have to watch your intervals, given that this is is a C3 type lower TBN lubricant.

I questioned this as well, but some of the reputable people here on the board say that with the new lower sulfur levels in gasoline in USA, this concern may not be totally valid anymore. I'd still be more worried about the fuel dilution than TBN.

OP, Dexos2 should not have any additional concerns for LSPI, as it's the rated lubricant for things like the new Corvettes and likely some other gas engines.

I don't know if we have a way of finding out how the dexos2 LSPI test compares to those for dexos1 Gen 2 and SN+, but the fact that they are testing for LSPI mitigation at all gives me a much better feeling than I had in the days when I did my own research online looking for low calcium/very low sodium motor oils. I guess I basically ran a dexos2 oil a couple of times when I used M1 5W30 ESP, this was before the standard came out but it had the formulation I was looking for as well as an HTHS>3.5 and low SAPS. I'm pretty sure that flavor of M1 is dexos2 now, I had no issues with the performance of the oil but got tired of having to order it online at a high price and dealing with individual liter bottles.

I think that Pennzoil Euro L would be a great choice for the OPer's vehicle, don't know what the warranty implications are but I think that oil is a nice pick for a DIT engine. I might have used it myself if it hadn't disappeared from our local WM shelves right about when dexos2 went live.

With all the kraph that Honda has been getting on the oil dilution problem, which I believe is all media hype and knee jerk reaction types, they will be really checking oil viscosities, since you have one of those engines, if you make a warranty claim. Believe me, I so want to put 5W-30 M1 in our new 18 CRV, but don't want to take a chance and void the warranty. I'd at least stick to Honda recommendations and even let them do the oil change....yes.....I know it's against our religion here at BITOG to say that.....until the warranty period is over.

The PP Euro L will be fine
smile.gif

Also, fill up with premium instead of regular

I have noticed that a number of recent DIT vehicles are supposed to be OK to run on 87, do the manuals just say 87 or up is fine or do they push the owners towards higher octanes?

I believe the manual for my FXT states that 93 is preferred, 91 is fine, and anything between 87 and 91 will not damage the engine but light knocking and hesitation might occur.
When I was having a weird problem with the car throwing strange CELs when it was new, one of the mechanics at the dealer told me I HAD to run 93 or I could not "complain" to them about CELs anymore. I knew this was BS, but I told them I only ran Shell 93 because there was a station near my work that I liked...at which point he said, "Oh yeah, it HAS to be SHELL V-POWER, not just any 93!"
What a tool!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have noticed that a number of recent DIT vehicles are supposed to be OK to run on 87, do the manuals just say 87 or up is fine or do they push the owners towards higher octanes?

I believe the manual for my FXT states that 93 is preferred, 91 is fine, and anything between 87 and 91 will not damage the engine but light knocking and hesitation might occur.

They usually say 87 is fine with no mention of anything higher than that. Including the OP's Honda
mad.gif

Your XT is more of a performance car which is why they mention 99/91 in that case. The XT is a Forester WRX
19.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

They usually say 87 is fine with no mention of anything higher than that. Including the OP's Honda
mad.gif

Your XT is more of a performance car which is why they mention 99/91 in that case. The XT is a Forester WRX
19.gif

Bummed me out to see that Subaru dropped the FXT for the '19 model year...the Ascent has a somewhat larger DIT engine than the FXT did, but I doubt it's going to scoot around quite like the smaller vehicle even with more power.
I also wish the FXT had the same extra magic that gives the WRX a somewhat higher peak horsepower rating (268 to 250??), I think I read that there are some minor hardware differences that let the latter keep its peak torque up to a higher RPM.

I am waiting to hear that Subaru has tuned the new 2.4l DIT and crammed it in the WRX STI...I figure its gotta happen.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I questioned this as well, but some of the reputable people here on the board say that with the new lower sulfur levels in gasoline in USA, this concern may not be totally valid anymore. I'd still be more worried about the fuel dilution than TBN.

There are two things I'd say to that. We (in Canada, too) have ULSG, but don't yet at the same time. There are waivers in place allowing limits to be exceeded fairly easily. Secondly, with the fuel dilution and the likelihood of it not being E0, that should be considered, too. Now, those two issues aside, if Honda were using really low OEM OCIs like my G37 calls for, I'd use the OEM OCIs. With the G37, a 3750 mile OCI means it won't matter as to whether you're using a C3, an SN/GF-5, or an A3/B4. I think Honda is a fair bit longer,

There's certainly nothing incapable about the oil, but a couple things need to be watched. Ironically, keeping the G in mind, the replacement models are allowing ten thousand miles OCIs with TGDI with conventional, which I'm not sure I've be terribly comfortable. A C3 5w-30 in SN is a technically approved oil and viscosity for those Infinitis, too.

Last edited:
If only you had given up 28 bhp and nine of the tranny's ratios, you could have had an Accord with a 2 liter PI NA engine and you'd have no worries at all.
LOL!

generally the manufacturers manual RECOMMENDS SEVERAL viscosities of oil as we all KNOW driving in Minnesota is NOT like driving in Florida. note the word Recommend as REQUIRED means it must be provided FREE!!! as for power levels todays turbo DI engines are easily varied with different tuning if the manufacturer chooses. better intake + exhaust + increasing boost with proper fueling can easily add 50 to 100 hp + even more torque but manufacturers don't want to hurt their drivetrains + Subies are NOT known for being stout. big HP looks good but its the early boost in torque that makes driving fun + KILLS drivetrains!!! a little more about power levels in 2001 i tested a doggy down low but peppier at the top WRX its boost gauge showed 15 lb at max boost stock, then i tested a 75 hp less vw that after installing a gauge i seen max boosted @ 7lb but it drove + felt faster on the low end. subaru was protecting their drivetrain with weak torque. go to goapr.com + look at what their tunes can DO with a modern gas turbo DI car!!! they have various tunes for weaker transmissions + note the generally stouter manual trannied car will eat clutches or more depending on driving habits!!

Last edited:
.....but its the early boost in torque that makes driving fun + KILLS drivetrains!!!
+1, hence CAFE with 0W16/20.

The manual does RECOMMEND 0W20/SN oil. So..while its interpretation, it's not the same as my previous vw cars that spec'd/required vw 502 oils. I'm thinking I'm safe using a 5w30. In this case, I'm doing the car a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back