15 Honda odyssey 12,563 Miles AMSOIL SSO 5/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally I run 10,000 but went 12,500 for fun. Oil slightly thickened from 8.8 to 9.3 due to extended high temps towing my RV.

As usual AMSOIL is shear proof, low wear, long lasting. Flat out the best.

2015 Honda Odyssey. Generally short 7 mile trips.
AMSOIL SIGNATURE SERIES 5w20 4.5 qts zero makeup
feb 25, 2018
Unit mi 63,245
Oil mi 12,563
iron 16
Chromium 0
nickel 0
Aluminum 4
Copper 7
Lead 1
Tin 0
Cadnium 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0
Silicon 14
Sodium 7
Potassium 2
Titanium 0
Moly 125
Anti 0
Mang 0
Li 0
Boron 36
Magnesium 72
Calcium 3117
Barium 0
Phos 504
Zinc 592

CST Vis@100c 9.3
TBN 1.49
Oxidation 52
Nitration 12

I wonder if the oil would make it to 25k
smirk.gif

Nice report. Just over 1ppm Fe per 1,000 miles and with towing / short tripping. Looks like the old formulation with the higher calcium. I wonder what the newer formula will look like.

Thanks for posting!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by parshisa
I wonder if the oil would make it to 25k
smirk.gif

He isn't using it under "Normal" operating conditions which is required for the 25K. He is towing in high temperatures and short tripping.
It's excellent for a 20wt to have put up with that for this long under those conditions.

Last edited:
Right on. makes sense. would be nice to see TAN.

Besides towing and short trips, what else is considered as Severe? Super/trubocharged engines?

Turbo charger keeping the engine in boost on a regular basis or race-track use. Loafing around on the highway with the occasional pass would be considered normal.

They do advise that the oil is guaranteed for 25,000 miles (Signature Series) under normal usage conditions but recommend things like oil analysis to confirm because of the varying use conditions and engines out there. That said a typical commuter vehicle doing typical driving would have no issues doing 25,000 miles. I have family members doing it.

Thanks. offtopic but will ask: I'm currently running 5w30 SS in my 1.5T Civic, no issues with Fuel Dilution (2-3% based on previous reports). My last UOA with this oil was done at 4,600mi with around 5TBN left and good wear numbers. Right now I have almost 4k on the new fill (same oil, same batch) and I wonder how far should I take it before submitting UOA. 8K perhaps? with my driving patter (80% highway, 50-60mi daily) MM usually comes on at around 10k (although I've never taken it that far). With that said, run it till 8K and pull the UOA? or run all the way till MM tells me to change?

Looks good. I really like the Odyssey. I'm not the biggest Honda fan, but the Odyssey is, IMO, the best minivan on the market.

Thanks. offtopic but will ask: I'm currently running 5w30 SS in my 1.5T Civic, no issues with Fuel Dilution (2-3% based on previous reports). My last UOA with this oil was done at 4,600mi with around 5TBN left and good wear numbers. Right now I have almost 4k on the new fill (same oil, same batch) and I wonder how far should I take it before submitting UOA. 8K perhaps? with my driving patter (80% highway, 50-60mi daily) MM usually comes on at around 10k (although I've never taken it that far). With that said, run it till 8K and pull the UOA? or run all the way till MM tells me to change?

I'm not sure. You could just sample it and leave the rest in the crankcase until the lab results come back. Use a lab that does actual fuel dilution testing and not Blackstone would be my advise for that engine so you get accurate results knowing it's a fuel dilution issue with that engine.

I use Dyson Analysis and he uses this lab. He has them re calibrate before any of his samples costs extra to go through him for that calibration but it's worth it for first time UOA's or determining a problem.
There after you can run through anywhere else to keep monitoring longer term.

Last edited:

Try 10,000 miles when the MM lights up.

Nice numbers on Amsoil SS on SEVERE SERVICE. I went back to SS after a decade on M1 HM. No big deal, just easier to get since everytime it's time for a change when I got to WM the shelves are empty, no PP, PYB, M1, Valvoline and even sometimes Supertech, plus longer OCI. On Amsoil, 1 phone call and my friend/dealer brings it to me.

Last edited:
That rig has a timing belt correct?

Belt rigs are much easier on oil than chain rigs- at the expense of having to change the belt at XX interval.

The DI pump is typically hard on oil, but I also believe that year was multipoint injection not DI

Amsoil makes an excellent product, but your rig is not "shearer".

UD

Last edited:
Is the cylinder deactivation still on?? Or have you by-passed it??

Any car with cylinder deactivation, I'd be leery of running long OCI's. The sludge/varnish that cakes itself on these pistons, ring lands, and in the combustion chambers is STARTLING!!

Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you can turn off the cylinder deactivation in these Odyssey's. I tried to do it on my brother in law's 2014 Odyssey and couldn't find how to.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you can turn off the cylinder deactivation in these Odyssey's. I tried to do it on my brother in law's 2014 Odyssey and couldn't find how to.

You need to install a VCM muzzler. There are many threads on these and how to install them. Information should be readily available. It's an easy install (less than 5 minutes and all you need is a flat head screwdriver) and can be had for less than $100.

I didnt know Odyssey has Cylinder deactivation.

Anyway, thank you for sharing it OP. Makes me want to try Amsoil for my wife's SUV.

Great oil report. Amsoil does the trick for sure. Low TBN at the end, so no further. The slight rise in oxidation at the end likely got you the 9.3 cSt KV100, another sign the oil should be changed soon.
I had to look up what a '15 Odyssey can tow, and it's 3,500 lbs. A 2,800 lbs UVW trailer looks plenty big, if thats what you've got.
Originally Posted by s2krunner
Anyway, thank you for sharing it OP. Makes me want to try Amsoil for my wife's SUV.
You can't go wrong with Amsoil, except that it costs a lot more than Mobil1 EP or AP at walmart, both PAO+GroupIII oils that easily go 15k miles too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back