"Sport Mode" all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
In the Sportage it tightens up the steering and holds RPM.

Is there any negative driving any vehicle in this mode other than increased fuel consumption?

I kept my 3000GT in sport mode all the time. The "ECO" selection was never used
laugh.gif

It won't hurt a thing; I like being able to switch between Geezer Mode and Attack Mode with just the push of a button.

I used it a lot when I broke in my Elantra. I found I was speeding more.
31.gif

Now I only use it when I need be in a lower gear and drive more aggressively like needing to cross two lanes of traffic to get onto or off of the freeway. Be careful.

I have a feeling it may be better for the engine instead of lugging the engine in the Eco mode.

Originally Posted by wemay

How can it tighten up the steering? Honestly curious how a button can change steering response.

The RAV4 will hold Eco mode through key cycles, Sport mode has to be engaged every start. They change throttle response and shift points. Fake news, forgot it had them

Originally Posted by AZjeff

How can it tighten up the steering? Honestly curious how a button can change steering response.

The RAV4 will hold Eco mode through key cycles, Sport mode has to be engaged every start. They change throttle response and shift points. Fake news, forgot it had them

The power steering is less "boosted", making it harder to turn the wheel so it feels more firm. It doesn't actually make the steering any sharper.

Me getting in the Caprice...
Sport mode on? Check
Traction Control off? Check
Stabilitrak off? Check

You are not hurting anything.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Electric power steering, gives more/less assist depending on drive mode.

When I'm in a parking garage I always put it on "eco" mode so it steers like butter and doesn't take as much effort.

Won't hurt a thing. They wouldn't have it there if it was bad for the car. I work for a rental company. The first thing I do when I get in a sportage or Elantra or soul, basically any Hyundai or Kia product is turn traction control off and put sport mode on. These vehicles get put through there paces and I have never had an issue.

Last edited:
How hard you can flog it on a road used by others is pretty limited, so you can't, and aren't actually thrashing it.

No probs at all if you are keeping your licence.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Me getting in the Caprice...
Sport mode on? Check
Traction Control off? Check
Stabilitrak off? Check

You are not hurting anything.

Yep!!!

I only use I (Intelligent...???) mode in my car in downpours, in snow, or on ice.
Otherwise it is in S mode, in which it still acts like a CVT but feels more responsive.
I don't use S# mode, in which the car pretends it has an 8 speed auto and lurches around a lot, anymore....I pretty much hate the way it feels and also noticed my gas mileage seems to go to [censored].

I was hoping to use the paddle shifters in manual mode for sporty driving, but the response to my inputs is way too slow.
They are very handy for engine braking in bad winter weather when I want to creep around!

Maybe I should be ignored here as my car needed major tranny work under warranty at 90kmiles!

Last edited:
In eco/automatic mode, the transmission is electronically actuating the shifts
In Sport/ manu-matic mode, the transission is electronically actuating the shifts (when you "manually" prompt for a shift.)
-->Its the same.

I find that comparing the clutch engagement between both modes (during a given shift) is harsher in my Rio. Do you experience that with your Sportage?

I ask because I don't experience that with my Rav4.

If its true, then that should be nicer to the trans oil and clutches.

Thank you all. I'm always using it as well. First thing i press after turning car on.

Last edited:
Gosh, I hope not. Sport mode button is the first thing I push after turning the key...
Turn key, start engine, push sport mode, put on seat belt...
The Fiat is a totally different animal without that little black button...almost neutered like...

You'll have to change the ATF sooner than otherwise and there will be increased wear on the transmission. How much wear is basically impossible to quantify.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
You'll have to change the ATF sooner than otherwise and there will be increased wear on the transmission. How much wear is basically impossible to quantify.

I don't even think you could assume that, the trans may actually shift much less since its not going through the upper gears every time you let off the throttle, and then downshifting 3 times next time you touch the gas... Also the crisper shifts may have all the clutches and belts slipping less trying to smooth out the shifts too.

More gas usage of course. In my Q50s I like the firmer steering in sport mode but like the regular shifting vs sport trans shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back