Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches

I started in 71 but didn't have all the tools when I started school or even when I finished in 75 it took some years to buy top quality stuff without going into debt on a tool truck.
Most of my stuff has held up very well but I upgraded to newer features (QR and flank drive) not because they were worn out.

I was told that the ratchets in those Stahlwille are made by KABO, they are very durable.

On the driver side of the tool business: if you ever come across Sunflag lines, take a good look and touch. They are on par with PB Swiss. I love both.
In general, Japanese don't bother to market their tools abroad like Germans and Americans. There are a lot of hidden gems there.

I have a set of Vessel 220 ball drivers that are really nice in the hand, not expensive but nice. Nepros makes a nice small head 3/8 ratchet and King **** from England make some of the best sockets on the market.
Lots of good tools out there but they are not well advertised.

Methinks King **** is from Taiwan, but it's not important. The 220 series from Vessel is a quality series made in Thailand, and the tool is simply addictive. My Mrs took away a wide slotted one and a stubby to crush walnuts. Another good crusher is a Wera ESD stubby. I bought her this elegant Toyo tool-box where she keeps her tools now. Including excellent and quite affordable Vessel precision set that works with reading glasses.

Correction: I mixed the Kings, that was King Tony. KD was the standard issue with Land Rovers in some years

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
I started in 71 but didn't have all the tools when I started school or even when I finished in 75 it took some years to buy top quality stuff without going into debt on a tool truck.
Most of my stuff has held up very well but I upgraded to newer features (QR and flank drive) not because they were worn out.

I started my apprenticeship in 1970, and built up a good collection of bits and pieces, but had most of my tools stolen in 1977, and then again in 1979. The 2nd time I worked late, and rather than being my usual tidy self, just walked out the door. They just grabbed my concertina box and took it. Both times rather than replace individual items, I just got full sets replaced. So most of my replacement Stahlwille from the first time were gone, apart from what was on the bench, the Hazet stuff is the 2nd replacent gear.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Methinks King **** is from Taiwan, but it's not important. The 220 series from Vessel is a quality series made in Thailand, and the tool is simply addictive. My Mrs took away a wide slotted one and a stubby to crush walnuts. Another good crusher is a Wera ESD stubby. I bought her this elegant Toyo tool-box where she keeps her tools now. Including excellent and quite affordable Vessel precision set that works with reading glasses.

Correction: I mixed the Kings, that was King Tony. KD was the standard issue with Land Rovers in some years

Vessel has a nice multi blade set made in Japan for cheap, nice fitting tips and magnetic. I have one in every vehicle and one in the house, they come in real handy.
I like that small tool box for the house.

Check this out, it is really a worthwhile tool for under $16 on the door.

Vessel multi

Edit: The plastic case is reusable and an easy way to keep them together.

Last edited:
Yep another tool to buy.
lol.gif
I don't remember what I own anymore. Last week it was this thing..

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81270-Drive-Gimbal-Ratchet/dp/B00HDSSJKU

I cant say if its worthwhile or not yet.

Stealing someones tools they use to make a living has to be one of the lowest things you can do to someone, it really makes you loose sleep and eat you guts out.
I hope you got some compensation and the tools replaced in full.

And a very good reason to insure your tools!!

Now you said that I checked my policy and they are insured. I take pictures of every tool I buy and catalog it just in case.

The employeer covers our tools, but what concerns me is that any replacements won't be of the quality of my original stuff. I'm still a bit annoyed that when my Warren & Brown 3/8 torque wrench was stolen 35 years ago, it was replaced with a Norbar, now Norbar is top of the line.

You welcome, did you get the ratchet ones also?

Are the ratchet ones as thin? I had some issues with some 17mm nuts recently because I couldn't get a thin enough wrench on the lower nut to loosen the top locking but. Didn't wish to grind down any of my wrenches. Finally found a 17mm flat wrench from a Bosch tool.

I prefer ratcheting box ends, but want thin.

Thanks!

Back