Ravenol USVO oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the first commercially produced line of motor oils I've seen that mentioned using oil-soluble polyalkylene glycol (OSP). They also mentioned the more common esters and alkylated napthalene. They are making advancements, not just tagging along. Very cool.

I've read some neat stuff about AN, it would be nice if some more mainstream oils started using it. Ravenol seems to be on the cutting edge of what regular consumers can get their hands on, albeit at a slight cost disadvantage.

Subie, I tried tried to find the latest version (Dexos1 Gen 2) of Ravenol DXG 5W-30 online and every source I found only had the Gen 1 version. That was the case even with Ravenol America. I'm going to wait until the new version gets stocked in the U.S.. Aren't you using the older version currently? If so, do you have any observations about it?

I'm pretty sure mine is Gen 1, I got it on sale from Blauparts when I think they were clearing out their old inventory.

It's been in the Fusion for about 1k miles or so; still very new considering my last fill of PUP 5W20 went 17k. It starts as smoothly as the PUP and is nice and smooth, while engine is warming up there seems to be a little less "clicking/clatter" but it's probably subjective.

Biggest thing I noticed right away is that the fuel mileage is at least as good as with PUP, and maybe even a little better. I drive the same route every day, 21.6 miles each way, mostly flat (I DO live in Indiana
lol.gif
). In the summer, with AC off, if I reset the dash counter right after I pull out of the driveway and drive to work and home, the PUP returns between 35.7 and 37.2 depending on how windy it is, usually averaging around 36.2. I've done this a couple times on the DXG including today, and the round trip returned 37.8 and the wind seemed pretty nonexistent.

A better tell will be next weekend when I make a bi-weekly trip up near Warsaw. This is a 200-mile round trip, and PUP averaged around 34.8 since this is a little hillier. Overall, I'm impressed with DXG since the engine feels quieter, no real difference in NVH vibrations though, and the mileage seems unaffected from the 30 weight oil. With winter coming, the super low pour point and great cold weather numbers should help with wear numbers. I'd imagine this OCI will probably last til February or so, and I will definitely get a UOA done.

This USVO oil sounds like a good oil if the price doesn't turn you away. I wonder if Blau Parts will have it on hand soon?

I also read that PAGs are used in lifetime fluids for transmissions and gear differentials.

Originally Posted by JAG
Thank you for the detailed response. You've made a fine choice with that oil.

JAG, I've built quite a UOA history on my current Fusion, with 100k of data, nearly all of that on PP/PUP. I've got plenty of empirical data to compare new oils to, so I'm finally starting to experiment to help build some data for the board. I've also got a bunch of free credit on Amazon from my Virgin Pulse work account, so (maybe foolishly) I don't have a problem dropping $45-60 on 5qts of some of these Ravenol oils as validation.

The only thing that may cut this test short is if I get a bug up my rear end and decide to sell the Fusion. It's a great 3-season car, but even with decent Continentals, it leaves a LOT to be desired in the frequently-deep Indiana snows. I'd rather put the money for snow tires towards a new Ascent
smile.gif
Time will tell...

Originally Posted by JAG
That's the first commercially produced line of motor oils I've seen that mentioned using oil-soluble polyalkylene glycol (OSP). They also mentioned the more common esters and alkylated napthalene. They are making advancements, not just tagging along. Very cool.

In Europe we also have Kroon Oil Poly Tech oils (5w-30 and 10w-40) that use OSP since 2016 (as far as I know).
More info:
https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/catalo...-passenger-car/551/poly-tech-5w-30/1444/
http://www.ebo.nu/filer/Poly Tech EBO.pdf

Dow Chemical Company has developed and manufactures OSP (Oil-Soluble Polyalkylene glycol) under the trademark UCON OSP. Their main differences from traditional PAG are: excellent miscibility with other oils (Group I, II, III and PAO 4, 6, 8, diesters/polyol esters, etc.), reduced hydroscopicity and better compatibility with elastomers.
Short presentation of OSP:
http://www.stlehouston.com/pdf/2011/Houston-OSP-GVK-2011-final.pdf

Last edited:
Great presentation. Very convincing that Ravenol is a cut above. They sometimes use tungsten together with moly in their oils, another indication that are trying things not very common amongst other oils. Their low NOACK numbers are always the best around.

I am at the beginning of my second OCI with VST (non-usvo) in my 07 GTi. I'm hoping that when I place another order they will have the usvo version of the VST or RUP available.

BTW, they claimed the Ravenol VMP 5W-30 is fully Group IV + V :), it's also an USVO one, and has the following specs & approvals:

Specifications
ACEA C3, API SN

Approvals
BMW Longlife-04, VW 504 00 / 507 00 (for Europe and Northamerica), MB-Approval 229.51, Porsche C30 (currently valid for PORSCHE Diesel cars, Cayenne V6 and all PORSCHE Hybrid cars)

(Previously reply)
Dear Mr. Chen, this product is a fully Group V + IV Blend and does not contain any Group I, II or III base oils. Please understand that the exact formulation is confidential. For more Information, please Check the USVO presentation on our Website.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by emod
[...Dow Chemical Company has developed and manufactures OSP (Oil-Soluble Polyalkylene glycol) under the trademark UCON OSP. Their main differences from traditional PAG are: excellent miscibility with other oils (Group I, II, III and PAO 4, 6, 8, diesters/polyol esters, etc.), reduced hydroscopicity and better compatibility with elastomers.
Short presentation of OSP:
http://www.stlehouston.com/pdf/2011/Houston-OSP-GVK-2011-final.pdf

Thank you for the great reference links. Good education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back