Old Smartphones non activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
This likely is obvious to most....

My 11 yr old daughter uses her grandmothers old iPhone 5s deactivated on WiFi for games, music, texts and YouTube. The battery life was so so.

The coverage of non LTE voice is weak at our home which destroyed battery life by 50% no apps running . Pulled SIM and voila battery loses about <5% per day on WiFi running no apps just polling for email and iMessages.

Last edited:
Batteries see heavy drain when connected to networks with weak signal as the phone keeps searching for other signals. Completely normal

About two weeks ago, I replaced my iPhone 6 with an iPhone 8. IIRC, I had my 6 since 2015. It still worked great, but if you suddenly made it do some hard work, it would black out and show that the battery was dead even though it was at 60% just a few seconds earlier. I was charging the battery about three times a day just to keep it usable. I was going to go online and buy a new battery for it, but my wife put her foot down and said we were getting a new one. My 8 works great...so far.
Will probably still experiment with a new battery for the 6 during the winter months.

To shut down the cell radio, engage airplane mode, then turn wifi back on.

Originally Posted by Kruse
About two weeks ago, I replaced my iPhone 6 with an iPhone 8. IIRC, I had my 6 since 2015. It still worked great, but if you suddenly made it do some hard work, it would black out and show that the battery was dead even though it was at 60% just a few seconds earlier. I was charging the battery about three times a day just to keep it usable. I was going to go online and buy a new battery for it, but my wife put her foot down and said we were getting a new one. My 8 works great...so far.
Will probably still experiment with a new battery for the 6 during the winter months.

You can get a new battery installed at any Apple store for $30 until the end of the year as part of the Applegate battery settlement. It applies to the 6, 6s, and SE models. I would go that route if you plan to keep the phone kicking around and it helps resale also.

$29 including labor until the end of the year for a new battery from Apple-my old iPhone 6 (which my wife uses now) is going to get a new one sometime in late December. It's not totally gone, but is showing it's age (can't make it through an entire day off the charger). Be sure to check if you don't have an Apple Store doing it, some of the "authorized Apple service centers" are charging labor IN ADDITION to the $29!!
mad.gif

If you're running within the last few iOS updates, check the battery health in settings.

My 6+ shows 95% remaining, operating at full power.

I'm sort of against getting the $29 battery. It seems mine came with a good one and, if the iOS-indicated 95% is accurate, it might not be worth tearing into the phone for 5% more. I'm sure degradation isn't linear, but you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by mk378
To shut down the cell radio, engage airplane mode, then turn wifi back on.

She was not great at that and doing that step unfortunately disabled the gps from working. Find my iPhone has saved her as it gets hooked to xfinitywifi hotspot a lot which everywhere it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back