What's an Innovative Non-Microwave Cooking Device These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd Magnetron in the range hood mounted microwave is about to go south soon. I can tell when they're getting ready to fail and it's been five years on this mag. Instead of putting another microwave over the range top in the range hood's alcove, I'm curious as to what's the latest rage in fast cooking that's non-microwave. Aren't there some sort of mini ovens that use heated high speed air to cook or what is an "air fryer"? I don't really want to put another microwave up there.

Seems most kitchen appliances are designed to last about ten years. It no longer pays to spend the extra money to buy expensive brands. I built a shelf over my stove and buy countertop microwaves a lot cheaper than ' over the range 'types'

Convection ovens usually have a microwave built in.

If they made one that ran on 220 vac properly I would buy one in place of the main oven

Ah well.

We have had a Breville toaster oven for about 7 years and love it. It can fit a dijourno pizza in there, so much easier than warming the oven. Although there is no quick reheat option like a microwave, a few minutes heats most everything up.

Originally Posted by Billbert
Seems most kitchen appliances are designed to last about ten years. It no longer pays to spend the extra money to buy expensive brands. I built a shelf over my stove and buy countertop microwaves a lot cheaper than ' over the range 'types'

That only works if your over the range microwave isnt your hood vent too
smile.gif

To the OP a convection toaster oven or air fryer are both decent appliances.

Last edited:
Toaster ovens have come a long way. We have one that can cook a full frozen pizza and has a convection fan. We use the oven a lot less now. There isn't really a good substitute for a microwave in reheating and defrosting thing. We bought a nice LG countertop inverter one that has a sensor in it and it does a very good job. Way better than a non inverter microwave.

I don't think I have ever actually cooked something in a microwave unless you consider microwave meals and heating canned stuff cooking.

Last edited:
We have a $50 air fryer we bought at Costco and are very happy with it. A lot of foods you can do in a microwave, regular oven, or toaster/convection oven can be done in an air fryer. The only drawback is its small size.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Toaster ovens have come a long way. We have one that can cook a full frozen pizza and has a convection fan. We use the oven a lot less now. There isn't really a good substitute for a microwave in reheating and defrosting thing. We bought a nice LG countertop inverter one that has a sensor in it and it does a very good job. Way better than a non inverter microwave.

I don't think I have ever actually cooked something in a microwave unless you consider microwave meals and heating canned stuff cooking.

What's does an inverter do in a microwave and why is it an advantage?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Inverter in the microwave is great. It allows the power levels for the microwave to actually reduce to the percentage you set it to instead of a time based 3 seconds on and 7 seconds off for power level 3 like most microwaves do. Inverters allow the magnetron to actually output at 30% of the maximum output and allow for much better even heating than a normal one would. It makes defrosting meat actually work quite well and allows for you to cook very small items without destroying them.

I second the cheap air fryer! I bought a $48 one at BestBuy, of all places. It's 100% my go-to appliance.

Another vote for the air fryer. It is my primary cooking appliance these days, everything from hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, chicken, and fish. Fast, easy cleanup, things are actually cooked with hot air.

The one I am using is a small refurbished Phillips with electronic controls. Paid around $119

We love our Instant-Pot pressure cooker / slow cooker / rice cooker / yogurt maker all in one. It's fast and fantastic. Also like our Tefal Acti-Fry. Two we couldn't live without.

It sounds like LR want something that will plug into the hole above the stove where the microwave is. Lots of good appliance suggestions but wrong form factor for the hole.

How do you kill a microwave? We've had them since they were huge noisy boxes and can't remember one going bad.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
It

How do you kill a microwave? We've had them since they were huge noisy boxes and can't remember one going bad.

I had a Sharp that I bought around 1998. Around ten years later, I was cooking something, heard a big "SNAP" from its RF unit, and it was suddenly dead as a doornail.

is the GE Trivection oven still a thing?
it uses conventional radiant Heat, Convection, and Microwaves, to cook faster.

if you believe the marketing wank, up to 5x faster.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Sous vide precision cookers. This is the only way I will cook steaks now.

What the heck is a Sous vide cooker?

On 110 vac the tricextion is a slow convection oven or meh oversized microwave. (My folks had one in the motor home)

They need to make a good 240vac 50 amp unit for in place of a range.

Otherwise the things are underpowered

Originally Posted by anonobomber
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Inverter in the microwave is great. It allows the power levels for the microwave to actually reduce to the percentage you set it to instead of a time based 3 seconds on and 7 seconds off for power level 3 like most microwaves do. Inverters allow the magnetron to actually output at 30% of the maximum output and allow for much better even heating than a normal one would. It makes defrosting meat actually work quite well and allows for you to cook very small items without destroying them.
You don't hear that banging buzz when the magnetron energizes either. They are a lot quieter. The even heating ( not total even but better than a regular microwave) is great. We haven't scorched any Tupperware since we got ours. The old one was frying Tupperware frequently before it died.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back