SuperTech 75-90 Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to change out the rear diff on 19 yr old daughter's 99 Passport. I have no idea when the last change was, we have owned it for 3 yrs/27,000 miles.
Was going to use the ST 75-90 Syn, it doesn't get much abuse.

Thoughts?

Not familiar with the passport but ST has a good following here. I usually try to stick with brand names, myself.

I would like to know too. I have a Nissan with a light duty rear diff I want to change out some 80w90.

Nissan Calls for 80w90, dealer put in HD 08w90 Mobil in the diff and xfer case two years ago at 30K miles. Fuel mileage has been down since the change and the unit struggles in below zero commutes for 10 mins.

I got a nice transfer pump and a 10mm hex BIT socket ready to rock!

Here my thoughts ( not having run it yet and without all my subjective experiences to add to the conversation )

This might be like a 0w30 in my 5w30 conversation.

Well it is GL-5. and 75W is giving just a bit better cold weather viscosity performance,

My concern is axle seal weeping.

I've used Supertech in my 08 Jeep for years, with 75w140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front, with no issues. I change it every 30k or so and tow my boat quite a bit. No leaks, runs, or errors. I did redo the diff cover gasket with high quality rtv, though. That's a must.

I just bought some of that and put it in my 350SD. Didn't know what or how old the old stuff was (looked surprisingly good with a little residue on the drain plug), and I'm not impressed with the specs for most of the name brand synthetic diff lubes.

I am going to go ahead and put in some 75-90w. Like I said the vehicle is driven by my 19 yr old daughter and doesn't get any abuse. It does have an LSD Dana and its been kind of clunking a bit when you take of from a dead stop. I'll update after replacement.

Thanks for all the input,
Tim

Used that all the time in the subi diffs and always worked great. Great stuff at an excellent price.

Originally Posted by Plimbob
I am going to go ahead and put in some 75-90w. Like I said the vehicle is driven by my 19 yr old daughter and doesn't get any abuse. It does have an LSD Dana and its been kind of clunking a bit when you take of from a dead stop. I'll update after replacement.

Thanks for all the input,
Tim

It's cool to see someone who still has a Passport. I have a 94 Passport.

If it is clunking, you might need to add a tube of friction modifier. I know the oil makers say they add it into the gear lube, and shouldn't be necessary. I tried adding straight gear oil, nothing added, and had clunking on two different vehicles. Our dad's truck, and our 2001 Isuzu Trooper.

I added Lubegard limited slip additive, and no more clunking.

I am using Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil

Redline differential lubes like their oils are top of the line. i use their oil in my 300 hp turbo'd 2001 TT but my truck gets mobil I. that said many NEVER change gear lubes, or infrequently so putting in a longer lasting true synthetic lube makes sense. Redline is expensive but doing one drivetrain component at a time is not bad. i did my new to me 28,000 mile 2011 Nissan SV + used Redline in all the diffs + tranny + transfer case + since doing that my mpg's increased from 14 ave to 19 mpg ave!!! all fairness the 14 was in the winter so i will see this winter. since i use my truck lightly + only haul a few loads of coal yearly i opted for 75-90 in the rear instead of the cheap nissan semi syn molasses 75-140. i talked to red line tech + read on the dana-spicer web + am comfortable with the lighter viscosity superior lube, there are 75-110 blends as well available as Mola noted + recently formulated for whoever he works for!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I would like to know too. I have a Nissan with a light duty rear diff I want to change out some 80w90.

Nissan Calls for 80w90, dealer put in HD 08w90 Mobil in the diff and xfer case two years ago at 30K miles.

My Nissan (Infiniti G35) calls for ATF in the transfer case. I don't know if some use ATF, some use gear oil, etc, etc though. I'd hope the dealer used the correct fluid...

That RWD with longitudinal mounted engine - 0- isn't it?

No transfer case.

My O.M For the rogue calls for 80w90 in the xfer case and the diff.

Maybe a Winter issue and I also historically not found Mobil gear oils satisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back