Get ready for 15% Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish you had the option to get E0 87 octane. That would end 100% of the whining (myself included). Having to buy premium fuel just to have it unmolested by corn huskers is highway robbery!

How will this effect cars and their fuel systems? Run more lean?

Many cars starting in the 1970's have an o2 sensor

E15 won't make any semi modern car run lean.

Further you won't be required to use e15, it is just being legalized for year round operation .

My state has had 88octane e15 on and off since around 2001, I use it everyday in all my cars, I seem to gain a mpg or so and it's currently 20 cents a gallon cheaper where I normally buy fuel

There are small mom and pop stations that sell only e0 in all grades around here, I use ethanol free 87 nearing winter

Last edited:
I had to check the date of the original post..... Is 15% ethanol new to people ? It's "normal" here in Ohio and has been for years.

ethanol has less energy density than gas. It's physically impossible to get more gas mileage all things being equal unless it cleaned a clogged injector or something equally ridiculously unmaintained.

Not all fuel systems can deliver 30% more fuel under high load.

Up to 10% here in NJ

There is no requirement for any refinery to actually produce E15 fuel, or to produce more of it. There is no mandate for gas stations to sell it.

Originally Posted by wdn
There is no requirement for any refinery to actually produce E15 fuel, or to produce more of it. There is no mandate for gas stations to sell it.

Ethanol isn't blended with gasoline at the refinery, it gets added by the 'local' supplier.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I had to check the date of the original post..... Is 15% ethanol new to people ? It's "normal" here in Ohio and has been for years.

10% is normal.
15% would be new.

E15 has been around since 2011.

https://www.epa.gov/fuels-registration-reporting-and-compliance-help/e15-fuel-registration
About E15 fuel
E15 is a fuel blend of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline. It can be used in:
Flexible-fuel vehicles (FFVs);
Model year 2001 and newer cars;
Model year 2001 and newer light-duty trucks; and
Model year 2001 and newer medium-duty passenger vehicles (SUVs).
It cannot be used in:
On-highway and nonroad motorcycles;
Vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses, transit buses, and delivery trucks;
Nonroad vehicles, such as boats and snowmobiles;
Engines in nonroad equipment, such as lawnmowers and chain saws; or
Model year 2000 and older cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles.

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standa...misfueling-vehicles-and-engines-gasoline
The final rule also requires all E15 gasoline fuel dispensers to have a specific label when a retail station or wholesale-purchaser consumer chooses to sell E15.

Originally Posted by benjy
the government subsidizes the corn pee made from cancer causing genetically engineered corn NICE NOT!!!! our tax money well spent NOT!!!!!!

It is my understanding that the subsidies ended December 2011. I could be wrong.

Yeah we've had e-15 around here for about a year or 2. I certainly hasnt improved my mpg in any of my vehicles. But if it made it any worse, its very minor. I get my EPA advertised mpg in all my vehicles with e-15. Its $.05 cheaper at most stations, but one 5 miles from me it was $.15 cheaper per gallon my last fill up. I use it in my 18 Ecoboost that is NOT FFV. My other vehicles are FFV.

Originally Posted by user52165
Two threads on the same subject. 3 hours apart. Does anyone check before beginning a new post?

Was thinking the same thing.

And we don't need to get ready around here, its been for sale at some retailers going on 5 years, and it has become readily available at a ton of locations in the last 1 1/2 years in this area. Marketed as "Super 88".

I've burned some tanks in my 16 F150 Ecoboost, and it runs fine and takes advantage of the octane, but I do take a decent fuel mileage hit. Needs to be a lot more than 5 cents cheaper a gallon to break even in my experience...

In NY I do not know of any places that sell E15 at any time of the year. I think most people would boycott E15 and buy E10 if they have a choice. Most gas stations have two tanks, one for regular and one for premium. They mix the mid-grade. So for E15 I doubt they will install a new tank. And if a station sells E15 and other E10, I think people will go to the one with E10.

I really do not want to help or hurt farmers. We ought to be running the proper fuel for the vehicle and environment. If its E10 then the farmers grow corn. If E0 then no ethanol in the fuel and see the corn on the open market.

But to alter the fuel because farmers cannot sell all the corn they can grow because of corn tariffs in China is plain stupid.

Originally Posted by Tdbo

10% is normal.
15% would be new.

I might be mixing them up but I'm 99% certain I've already seen stickers on pumps referring to 15% ethanol content. I'm thinking Kroger fuel.

Originally Posted by Tdbo

10% is normal.
15% would be new.

I might be mixing them up but I'm 99% certain I've already seen stickers on pumps referring to 15% ethanol content. I'm thinking Kroger fuel.

E-85 is available.
However, all the RUG, MUG, and PUG that I have seen (at least in Central Ohio) has been E-10.
I travel to NE Ohio at least once a month and have never seen E-15. Everything has been E-10.
E-15 and E-85 are not the same.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Yeah we've had e-15 around here for about a year or 2. I certainly hasnt improved my mpg in any of my vehicles. But if it made it any worse, its very minor. I get my EPA advertised mpg in all my vehicles with e-15. Its $.05 cheaper at most stations, but one 5 miles from me it was $.15 cheaper per gallon my last fill up. I use it in my 18 Ecoboost that is NOT FFV. My other vehicles are FFV.
Beating EPA is not that hard, at least on older cars that were less optimized for the test cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back