A lot of newer ('12+) car UOAs on BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing a big trend on here lately of newer vehicles with UOAs done. It seems older cars are showing up less and less (except for working trucks, erc.). Why is that? Why bother getting all jumbled up on countless posts about getting the "best" oil for your vehicle and then not even keep it for more than a decade or so? I would like to hear from you guys on this.

Curiosity is part of it, but I suspect you're seeing intentions smack into reality. Sometimes life gets in the way and people have to get rid of their vehicles. I get a chuckle when people say "oh I plan on keeping this car for 10 yrs at least". I'm like, uh huh. I'm sure you're going to keep that sporty coupe right up to the point when you get married and have kids which will probably occur within the next 4 years.

That being said I've never done a UOA on my current ride, and being that I'm going to do my own oil changes (assuming I get the "ok" by you know who) I plan on pulling a sample.

Originally Posted by crazy_raccoon
I've been noticing a big trend on here lately of newer vehicles with UOAs done. It seems older cars are showing up less and less (except for working trucks, erc.). Why is that? Why bother getting all jumbled up on countless posts about getting the "best" oil for your vehicle and then not even keep it for more than a decade or so? I would like to hear from you guys on this.

Who says that those of us posting UOAs for newer cars don't plan on keeping them for more than a decade? I plan on keeping my Corvette for much longer than that, and I started posting UOAs right from the first oil change.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Just because folks want to keep their cars in top shape, doesnt mean they plan to keep them longterm.

This. Plus a strong economy if an individual wants a new vehicle why not.

I think UOAs have also become more of a consumer "thing" in recent years versus a strictly hardcore hobbyist "thing" independent of how long they plan on keeping the vehicle...things like the potential for fuel dilution with GDI engines also spurs interest, etc.

Well, keep in mind that the best use of a UOA (multiple, really) is to track trends. The best way to do this is to get a baseline reading early on and then do them every so often and if something changes noticeably from one UOA to another, then it can potentially signal a problem.

If you wait until the car is 5 years old, how will you know what the numbers looked like when it was new?

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Well, keep in mind that the best use of a UOA (multiple, really) is to track trends. The best way to do this is to get a baseline reading early on and then do them every so often and if something changes noticeably from one UOA to another, then it can potentially signal a problem.

If you wait until the car is 5 years old, how will you know what the numbers looked like when it was new?

With our new 2017 2.3 EB Explorer I wanted to establish realistic OCI. And not just rely on the iOLM, which is based upon a 5W-30 oil meeting the easily met Ford specification. A conventional oil can even meet the Ford 5W-30 spec. Do you want to run a conventional oil for 10,000 miles in a DI Turbo engine? Because that's what my iOLM always went for. I changed the ff at 2,000 mi and used the dealer conventional oil change for another 3,200 miles. Then I ran 7,000 mi of mainly high speed summer driving with Mobil 1 5W-30 and did an UOA. Next I did a late August to early December OCI, 4,275 mi, with Motorcraft 5W-30 and an UOA. Thirdly I did a winter to spring OCI of 6,200 miles with Mobil1 5W-30 and an UOA. This one had of course many freezing days and remote starts. The summer run of Mobil 1 was still in grade with low wear metals showing. The low mileage Motorcraft oil OCI run had sheared substantially out of grade for 4,275 mi, of easy driving, but again with low wear metals. The winter run of Mobil 1 sheared just out of grade but it was subject to extreme winter conditions, ie lots of remote starts and extremely cold temps. Again it had low wear metals. From my UOA's and using Mobil 1 5W-30 I know I can increase the OCI comfortably if the weather allows. I can only change the oil outdoors, so winter oil changes bite needless to say. For me my UOA's were good to establish a reasonable OCI with Mobil 1 5W-30, which I plan to use.

Whimsey

I've never had a car more than 2 years in my life but I always have high hopes. Regardless I take care of it as if I was keeping it forever. Just who I am. I am also a little obsessive in general and curious. I also just posted 2 UOAs on 2018 factory fills. So, there you go. Haha

Very interesting responses from you guys. I was just curious because the senses on here is a lot of people try to get the best oil for the money. Then it gets broken down to a micro detail that users end up bashing each other till there's nothing left to talk about. IMO I just do UOAs to get an idea for our vehicles engine health and would like to keep them as long as possible. Plus I want to see if I'm getting my monies worth.

Uoa's are a lot of fun and very interesting! I've done three on my 300ZX and they all came back perfect with either zero or single digit wear metals,which is what I like to see. Royal Purple,Mobil 1.and then GTX. The GTX was the best with the Mobil1 being the worst,but still single digit metals. In December when my Accord comes due for its oil change (QSUD 5W20) I'll be doing its first uoa on it. My Blackstone kits came in yesterday.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Uoa's are a lot of fun and very interesting! I've done three on my 300ZX and they all came back perfect with either zero or single digit wear metals,which is what I like to see. Royal Purple,Mobil 1.and then GTX. The GTX was the best with the Mobil1 being the worst,but still single digit metals. In December when my Accord comes due for its oil change (QSUD 5W20) I'll be doing its first uoa on it. My Blackstone kits came in yesterday.

Haha! I knew you were a GTX fanboy/user.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back