2018 Camry Hybrid Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mitsu_Joe
I'd be more concerned about the 15W than the 40 to be honest ahaha
Especially if you live in a colder area.

GM for my l67 specced 15w40 for prolonged cold.

It simply doesn't get cold enough for 15W to be an issue

Oh The Humanity! When is the government going to help??

HTHS 3.5 in a 10W30 is always ideal. Only Mobil 1 high mileage 10W30 is left in the USA.

Thanks for sharing this.
11.gif

No probs, 3 hours passenger time in a rental, and no change in the glovebox...took 20 takes to get shades and junk of, so hope all appreciate the love involved

Two engineers in the car gave me weirder looks than the shoppers when I photo oil racks.

This tells us as much about Toyota's faith in the ability of Australian owners to read and apply a temp/visc chart as it does about CAFE.
It also tells us that engines can be run on a wide variety of grades without issue.
It would be interesting to see the difference in fuel economy over a couple of OCIs with one run on a 0W-20 and the other on a 10W-30.
While there would necessarily be some difference in fuel economy, it might be too small to measure in road use.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
This tells us as much about Toyota's faith in the ability of Australian owners to read and apply a temp/visc chart as it does about CAFE.

Please explain ???

One gives an explanation of w meaning, the number after it, and a table of what not to use and when.

The other says use this always, and if you can't then use this other alternative, and make sure you switched back to the first next oil change.

The latter is much more prescription and targeted at the lowest common denominator.

In the last sentence of your reply, you've answered your own question.
In 2009, Subaru showed enough respect for the intelligence of its owners to include in the Forester OM a temp/visc chart of grades that might be used rather than the "preferred" 5W-30.
By 2017, Subaru had had an epiphany and recommended only a 0W-20 in the OM of the Forester.
CAFE applied in 2009 just as it does in 2017.

Actually I was first intrigued that there was no 0W30 or 0W40 mentioned... but then I figured it out that probably they saw no value in running 0W downunder, other than to maximize "fuel economy", at which point you would be looking at the 0W16 - 0W20 variants anyway.

Originally Posted by nap
Actually I was first intrigued that there was no 0W30 or 0W40 mentioned... but then I figured it out that probably they saw no value in running 0W downunder, other than to maximize "fuel economy", at which point you would be looking at the 0W16 - 0W20 variants anyway.

Yet all the new Toyota diesels "prefer" 0w30 C2. Toyota Australia only supports this grade.

Click bait. Lol

But yeah, it most likely will run just as well on 15w40 as it does on 0w16.

Last edited:
Slightly better pics of the oil. The Prius recommends from 0W-20 to 15W-40. Interesting info. I suppose these engines deal with heavier oils quite well.

Added note, they use 95 octane for testing versus 87 in the USA.

Prius use 91 octance vs 87.

hybrid 1.png

hybrid 2.png

hybrid 3.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by writes123

95 RON, so about 90 for us using R+M/2

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Originally Posted by writes123

95 RON, so about 90 for us using R+M/2

interesting, still premium gas for usa folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back