White Box Chinesium Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is where the joke originated from: Made in China, economy-grade brake rotors that come in a white box.

(For the record, I normally do not use white box/economy-grade parts. But this is for a lease return where the lease is ending in two months).

088F96DA-7F06-4298-8500-F526E1C0C06A.jpeg

On a lease going away in 2 months I wouldn't have used Akebono pads either, white box only. (parts store brand) or closeout stuff from Rock only.

I have 4 "white box from China" rotors from Advance on my 2004 Silverado. For what I paid for them, I have no issues at all... and I've not babied them either. Hard braking, trailer towing, heavy loads... no issues at all.

Originally Posted by Trav
On a lease going away in 2 months I wouldn't have used Akebono pads either, white box only. (parts store brand) or closeout stuff from Rock only.

My normal choice for an economy pad, Centric 105 PosiQuiet ceramics, were surprisingly expensive for the front axles. Akebono were less than $10 more. I did use PosiQuiets for the rear. In general, parts for this vehicle (2016 Outback) were unusually expensive. Not sure why.

When the car came in, the rears were beyond metal on metal. The fronts are at 1mm and are getting done next week. The driver was hoping to make it to the end of the lease without doing the brakes (at all), but I don't think it will happen.

27D0D330-4229-4DB0-A7EC-2FAC862C7564.jpeg

FED944D3-8079-43F8-A1A3-B63EF67CD4E3.jpeg

Originally Posted by The Critic
The driver was hoping to make it to the end of the lease without doing the brakes (at all), but I don't think it will happen.
Why wouldn't the driver have just done a pad slap a year ago and be done with it? Stepping over dollars for dimes!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
The driver was hoping to make it to the end of the lease without doing the brakes (at all), but I don't think it will happen.
Why wouldn't the driver have just done a pad slap a year ago and be done with it? Stepping over dollars for dimes!

The driver normally takes the car to quick lubes for oil changes and the brakes do not get inspected during every service visit. I guess he did not expect the car to need brakes after 52K. This is why I preach the importance of a full brake inspection (with or without tire rotation) during each oil change.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

The driver normally takes the car to quick lubes for oil changes and the brakes do not get inspected during every service visit. I guess he did not expect the car to need brakes after 52K. This is why I preach the importance of a full brake inspection (with or without tire rotation) during each oil change.
If it's on the lift, might as well. If you have the front of your car jacked up you might as well also. I neglected to inspect my brakes last time I changed my oil.
27.gif

I like when the white boxes have about 4 different part numbers that match to the actual name brand numbering scheme.

Brakes after 52k? I wouldn't expect that either. But they do need to be checked at least once a year I reckon. Otherwise stuff does pop up.

Just did brakes for a friend--and had to redo them. I thought the calipers were fine, pistons pushed in ok, but nope, torched the pads in 3 months time.

Every since my wife started to drive FWD cars ( mostly in town miles ) I figure on front pads about every 30,000 miles . Rear brakes , at least 60,000 miles .

If you plan to keep the vehicle a long time , buy the pads / brake shoes with life time warranty .

I had an opportunity to replace the fronts today. The lowest pad was down to 1-1.5mm so they were definitely due. This car is also the first vehicle in several years where I used economy rotors. Nthach came by and we measured the runout (after cleaning the hub flange) of the new front rotors; the l/f measured between .0005-.001" and the r/f measured .0015" (after indexing). Out of curiosity, I measured the runout of the rear rotors and found .0005" on the l/r and .002" on the r/r. Max allowed on either axle is .002".

I think the quality of the economy rotors have gone up significantly and this is a far superior option to machining your old rotors on a bench lathe. On average, I see .004-.006" of runout when rotors are machined on a bench lathe.

7FCBBEA8-C4D5-4782-A496-4675887084A8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back