Chevy Camaro rear Diff fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have asked Camaro forum but no luck or Redline isnt popular in Camaro.

Im looking to replace factory fill of my rear differential. OEM recommendation is GM 88862624 (contains limited slip friction modifier)

Car has 2k miles on, should i go ahead use Redline 75w90 or is it too early for synthetic? I see on Redline website its in OEM compatibility.

Also Is there any benefits using 75w110 instead 75w90?

https://www.redlineoil.com/gear-oil-for-differentials

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-4034

Thank you

Being in Texas, you might want to take a look at a 75W-140, unless you must use 75W-90 for warranty.

Judging by the bottle, GM 88862624 is supplied by Petro-Canada. You also have GM 88900401, which is the famous grape scented 75W-90 with friction modifier, meeting GM gear lube specification 9986115.

75W110 has higher MOFT at all operating temperature range with stronger components wear protection, avoiding gear whines.
75W140 ? No issue either.

Last edited:
Ford actually changed the spec from 90 to 140 in the 2000s sometime. I use 75W-140 in the Mustangs FWIW. I'm sure the Camaro will do well with that too.

So 75w140 will be better choice overall. Even im in TX, winter is coming up soon so i guess 75w110 will be much better choice then.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Also Do you guys think Redline D4 ATF also great choice for Manual 6 spds?

I have to look it up but i think its recommended Dexron 3.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Ford actually changed the spec from 90 to 140 in the 2000s sometime. I use 75W-140 in the Mustangs FWIW. I'm sure the Camaro will do well with that too.

My 14 Mustang GT specs 75W-140.

Use the GM fluid.

Yes it can be a bit notchy when it's cold but IMO that's due to the car being new more than the fluid itself. Give it time to loosen up.

The skipshift on the other hand...

My vote for Texas is 75w140. My vote for Winnipeg is 75w90. Undeniably 75w90 was brought in for gas mileage increases, averaged over the 260 million cars in the USA. I would use a full synthetic if you drive it hard. 75w110? Like ordering a medium sized coffee if you can't decide.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
My vote for Texas is 75w140. My vote for Winnipeg is 75w90. Undeniably 75w90 was brought in for gas mileage increases, averaged over the 260 million cars in the USA. I would use a full synthetic if you drive it hard. 75w110? Like ordering a medium sized coffee if you can't decide.
laugh.gif

...‚ thanks

has anyone broken their diff from running 75w90 after being spec'd 75w140? seems excessive. i run 75w90 in my evo and m3 rear diff with zero issues, both are tracked & autoxed

Originally Posted by kyoo
has anyone broken their diff from running 75w90 after being spec'd 75w140? seems excessive. i run 75w90 in my evo and m3 rear diff with zero issues, both are tracked & autoxed

It will break with any fluid if its an EVO. J/K

I remeber your username from evo forums. I used to own 9 & X. Good to see you on here.

using a true synthetic 75-90 is fine even in hotter climates unless your highly stressed by racing or towing IMO i dumped cheap OE semi-syn Nissan lube from my 11 SV with the Dana after consulting Redline + the Dana-Spicer web site!!!

Originally Posted by s2krunner

Thanks

It depends which 6 spd you have to which fluid is recommended.If you have the MJK, MH3, or MM6 it calls for Manual Transmission fluid Part Number 88861800
If you have the M13 6 Speed it calls for Dexron VI or Part number 88865601.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Can you see out of these Camaros yet or is it still like desert storm in a M1A2 Abrams?
I mean REALLY!

Hahha Not too bad. Well this 6 Gen has rear view Camera so that is big big plus

Originally Posted by Diesel12

Thanks

It depends which 6 spd you have to which fluid is recommended.If you have the MJK, MH3, or MM6 it calls for Manual Transmission fluid Part Number 88861800
If you have the M13 6 Speed it calls for Dexron VI or Part number 88865601.

Its TR6060. Its recommended Dexron 3 if im mot mistaken it

Its TR6060. Its recommended Dexron 3 if im mot mistaken it
If one must use only ATF, D4 is a 'superb' replacement for Dexron 3 for stronger components protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back