The BEST $500 car in history!!!

Originally Posted by nthach
Also, keep in mind on Toyota VVT-i engines, there's a different set of timing marks for t-belt replacement, but you knew that.

Also, you're brave for replacing the intake cam seal on a VVT-i JZ/UZ engine. Supposedly the entire cam needs to be pulled apart, and the VVT actuator needs to be pulled apart and put back together to access the seal.

I actually failed at changing the cam seals. Could not take the VVT-I gear off the cam. It is apparently tougher than the crankshaft bolt... Upon closer inspection the cam seals are not leaking. Sooo I left them on... Will change the crank seal in the morning though. That one is "sweating" a bit.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
This is essentially the non-turbo Supra engine, right?

That is correct. Naturally aspirated Supras came with this 2JZ-GE engine. Engine block is the same as twin-Turbo Supras, 2JZ-GTE.

Been a while... So after I did refresh the engine a bit and started daily driving this Lexus - everything was nice and smooth, aside from the sway bar end links. Easy repair, but for some reason I put it away... I guess I may never get to them, due to some more issues...
I have been daily driving that Lexus for about 5k miles and updating and repairing little things along the way. Let me tell you - that A/C does not care what the temperature outside is, as it WILL make the interior Siberia-cold... But I did not get to enjoy that for long, as my transmission started slipping... Bummer... But I guess it had a good run of over 20 years and 365,000 miles.
So while looking for a replacement used transmission I came across a couple interesting threads... Apparently some people got away with using Tractor Hydraulic Trans fluid in their worn out automatic transmission vehicles with good results. Also many racers happen to use that fluid as well in their 4-digit horsepower racecars. It may be old news, but it was new to me. So, since I'll be replacing the transmission anyways, I think I'll go ahead and replace the Valvoline Maxlife ATF that is currently in the tranny with Traveller Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, as it is available for $24.99/2gal jug. If it does nothing or completely kills the transmission - so be it, it had to be replaced anyways. BUT if it does anything to bring the tranny back to life somehow - then I will be very impressed and will continue torturing that transmission until it blows, and then replace it.
So, has anyone here (aside from Highline9) used tractor/hydraulic fluid in their automatic transmission?

Back