Core return to Rockauto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a pair of calipers to return, and wasn't paying attention--looks like two different warehouses. I see I can get return shipping #'s from Rock so I will do that. But do I need to double box these, or can I just tape the white box that the calipers came in and call it good? Technically they should be DOA so I don't see to double pack... I had packed into the original box that they came in (larger box with two calipers and pads) but now that I see they go to two different places...

Caliper went into a ziplock bag, no worries about leaks.

Tape is cheap, I can do that. Just want to make sure I get my core refund.

Originally Posted by Zee09
If the box it came in is the display case with a sleeve over it- you better double box it.
Not for safety but for their resale of it.

Not sure what that is--all I can think of is the boxes they use on end aisles in grocery stores. This was a white box, with a label on the end with the manufacturer and p/n and stuff.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Zee09
If the box it came in is the display case with a sleeve over it- you better double box it.
Not for safety but for their resale of it.

Not sure what that is--all I can think of is the boxes they use on end aisles in grocery stores. This was a white box, with a label on the end with the manufacturer and p/n and stuff.

Double- if you want to get around it call them first and ask to be safe!

Get the RMA# first. Also, they have a separate category for "used core return" when you select the reason for return.

Also, the address they give you might not be the same as where the parts shipped from. They will not go to different places
smile.gif

Ah, didn't think to get both RMA's first--I went to fill out the first one, and then realized there was a second one to be done--it was only letting me select one caliper at a time for the RMA.

I always double box them because those cores can be worth more than the caliper itself.

It is very unusual for the cores to be sent to different warehouses. Did they originally ship from two different warehouses? I would try and clarify with rockauto before sending them out.

If I do ship a core, I double box them. Not sure how RockAuto works but with Ford the box is worth more than the part. If the box is damaged they reserve the right to not give me core credit. Same as if the label is torn. If there is no box or wrapping at all, like with a bumper cover core, they refuse to even pick them up.

You need to make sure that the package will NOT break during shipment.
Whatever it takes? Otherwise, you will not get your credit back.

Have a pair of calipers to return, and wasn't paying attention--looks like two different warehouses. I see I can get return shipping #'s from Rock so I will do that. But do I need to double box these, or can I just tape the white box that the calipers came in and call it good? Technically they should be DOA so I don't see to double pack... I had packed into the original box that they came in (larger box with two calipers and pads) but now that I see they go to two different places...

Caliper went into a ziplock bag, no worries about leaks.

How did it get to you? Single manufacturer's box? That and Rock Auto's Box? Send it back the same way you got it.

Dealing with Rockauto can be a pain. You can't call them (They say they save money by not having a call center), so it has to all be done via Email, which tends to drag out the process.

Ah! Never used Rock before, so wasn't familiar with how to use it. Both go to the same place. All I need to do is open up the box and add the list back in, and all set. It'll go back the same way it came, reusing what they sent.

Thanks.

[FWIW, not exactly cheap. They wanted $10 for one caliper, $15 and change for two. Worth it in this case, as I'll get $135 back in the end, just a reference point for anyone else curious.]

sometimes RockAuto is ok but with heavier cores local is best + as far as returns for ANY reason Amazon ROCKS, free with printed e-mailed label!!!

Ah! Never used Rock before, so wasn't familiar with how to use it. Both go to the same place. All I need to do is open up the box and add the list back in, and all set. It'll go back the same way it came, reusing what they sent.

Thanks.

[FWIW, not exactly cheap. They wanted $10 for one caliper, $15 and change for two. Worth it in this case, as I'll get $135 back in the end, just a reference point for anyone else curious.]

I would make sure you and Rockauto are on the same page, as to where the cores are going, before you send them anywhere.

Originally Posted by 02SE

Thanks.

I would make sure you and Rockauto are on the same page, as to where the cores are going, before you send them anywhere.

I hope so, as they got the shipping label for me, with their address on it. All I need to do is to tape it to the box and drop it off, and they'll deduct the shipping charge from the return. [Decided against store credit.]

Hopefully you're good then. I ordered a part from them a couple months ago. The first part was the wrong part, in a box labeled as the right part. That was a hassle to return. They sent another part, same problem. It was obvious to me that whomever was boxing the parts that day (both boxed on the same day according to the labels) didn't know or care that they were boxing the wrong part in a specifically labeled box.

Needless to say they wanted me to pay to ship the second incorrectly boxed part back to them. I told them they either take care of their mistake again, or I'd be calling my credit card company to deny the charge. They saw the error of their ways...

Long story short: If there are no problems they have decent prices. They can be a hassle to deal with if problems arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back