Fumoto SX Series Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my buddies (also a BITOGer) is really trying to convince me to try a Fumoto valve.

After browsing the archived threads and reading their website, the feedback appears to be mostly positive but there have been some incidents. Can anyone provide their experience with the newer style "SX" series valves?

I recognize that it is a solution in search of a problem but who doesn't like experimenting sometimes?

I have been a long time user and have used the SX on my mother in-law's CRV without any issues. I think the biggest problem with these is people like to crank the snot out of them and well that can't be done or it can cause leaks.

That said if you have the room for the standard type of valve I would use that instead because the oil flows faster out of that versus the SX especially when the oil is cooler. Also there is far less chances of leaking with the standard valve because you aren't relying on an O-Ring as you do on the SX.

If you are gentle with the SX, don't over tighten and inspect the o-ring at every oil change visually to make sure it isn't cracking you are fine but if it were me I would reserve the SX only for "Where required" applications where it's in a tight spot or with low ground clearance etc.

Last edited:
You know, I heard one of those things popped off going right down the highway. Ha ha, not really. They're not something I want, but people that have them tend to brag on them.

Originally Posted by The Critic
....I recognize that it is a solution in search of a problem...

My thoughts exactly. Very limited benefit for most applications and it can only increase risk.

I haven't used the SX but I have used the standard. It works great, I'll be adding one to my truck during the next change. I had the one with the small nipple. I just hook a piece of hose up to it, open the value, and it fills the container. No more mess when the oil pours out and hits the center of the pan and sprays everywhere.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I have been a long time user and have used the SX on my mother in-law's CRV without any issues. I think the biggest problem with these is people like to crank the snot out of them and well that can't be done or it can cause leaks.

That said if you have the room for the standard type of valve I would use that instead because the oil flows faster out of that versus the SX especially when the oil is cooler. Also there is far less chances of leaking with the standard valve because you aren't relying on an O-Ring as you do on the SX.

If you are gentle with the SX, don't over tighten and inspect the o-ring at every oil change visually to make sure it isn't cracking you are fine but if it were me I would reserve the SX only for "Where required" applications where it's in a tight spot or with low ground clearance etc.

Thanks - those are all great points.

I decided to order two SX's and I will be testing them on my own car and the Altima. My main concern about the SX is the default orientation of the lever versus the opening; how do you have yours setup?

My plan is to have the lever mounted in the 12 o'clock position and to have the oil opening at the 3 o'clock position. I will use a 90-deg plastic elbow to facilitate the oil drainage into a container.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/sl-10.html

Of all the valves I have in the family vehicles I change the oil in (SX included) some have the tab upside down or right side up, some side-ways. Just depends how it fits in the application and where it tightens down. Either way has been 0 issues and I don't even bother with the supplied plastic safety clip they came out with a few years ago. Never felt the need because the tab already has a lock and it's pretty stiff as it is to turn so even if you went nuts and hit some sort of debris field I can't see it opening because it would be a one a million chance.

I do have silicone plugs on the ends of my valves that I bought off E-bay instead of the joke ones that you can get from them that usually fly off within the first OCI. This keeps the nipple clean for UOA's and acts as a safety in case the valve starts dripping. I have had 1 valve in 10 years out of about 9 of them in use over the same period that developed a drip due to a defective ball valve seal. They sent me a new one free of charge and it never leaked after that. It was weird. It would drip 1 drop every 2-3 days so it was hard for me to pin down where it was coming from.

Before you install the SX valve I would recommend taking some Vaseline and coating the o-ring so it slides nicer when you turn the valve and to protect the o-ring over time there forward. I did it using a Q-Tip on my MIL's CRV. I just gooped it on, worked it back/forth to work it around the o-ring and then blotted off the excess.

Last edited:
Love my Fumoto valves. Use one today to drain some oil out of the slightly overfilled car. Since I'm not in the habit of bashing over rocks and tree stumps, I'm not at all worried about the locking drain lever pressing and twisting itself open.

I like when Fumoto valve haters chime in. They know what is best for everybody else when in most cases they never used the product and/or parrot the one 3rd hand unverified account of one failing.

Ok- I installed the Fumoto F103SX onto my Prius.

Due to the design of the oil pan, I was only able to install the valve in the position of the drain spout facing 6'oclock. Due to the shape of the oil pan, the valve does not contact the underbody cover. Also, the SL-10 plastic elbow must be connected in order for the oil flow to land into the a drain pan.

I added a quart of room-temp 5W-20 synthetic to make this video. The rate of oil drainage is reasonable.

https://youtu.be/dp3NO6LstYs

When installing the valve, it may be difficult to achieve the desired position because the valve likes to turn when being tightened. I recommend "starting" slightly to the right of the desired position, then gently pushing the valve to the desired position while tightening.

Overall, it's a neat device. But it's still a solution that is in search of a problem. Also, the lever opens with very little force and the nub is very small- so using the blue safety collar is a MUST.

085E40D7-6BF1-44A7-93C0-96665BE01EBC.jpeg

Good review Critic. I have a feeling they changed the tension of the lever as previous versions of it were much more difficult to open, at least from my experience.

Originally Posted by buster
Good review Critic. I have a feeling they changed the tension of the lever as previous versions of it were much more difficult to open, at least from my experience.

Agreed, the one on my MIL's CRV is stiff to open like the non SX versions. Maybe they changed it?

This "solution looking for a problem" thing likes to get parroted on here when the Fumoto threads come out but I can only speak for myself when a rear-facing, recessed plug is made 100% easier with a Fumoto valve. That's a straight up solution to what was always a pain in the a**. It's usually the willfully ignorant on here that gripe about "just use a wrench" or something that doesn't involve any brain synapse in trying to understand the uses for these valves...but I don't consider them a "solution looking for a problem" if they make things faster, cleaner, eliminate an existing problem or otherwise provide ease of use that might not be the same circumstance with a normal drain plug. "Solution looking for a problem"...no...."Solution not looking for your particular problem"....maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back