GSD (and other large dog owners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 4 month old pup, GSD. We're feeding him the same food as his breeder and he's really not into it. So, what food(s) do you feed your GSD or other large breed pup (or adult)

Sometimes pups are just picky, just like kids. You can try different brands, or when it gets hungry it will eat. It wont starve to death because it is being picky.

We tried a bunch of different "good brands" for our picky Lab. Finally got sick of that and settled on Blue Buffalo because its readily available. My brother feeds his Weimariner Fromm's. When his dog comes here, he heads straight for my dogs food. And my dog does the same at his house.

If I put an egg in his food, whether raw or cooked, he eats it up right away.

Often, just adding a small amount of other natural flavors to their food will do the trick. I have a King Shepherd who has at times during his life got a little picky and when that happens, just adding a very small amount of cooked white rice OR yogurt OR even a small pinch of garlic powder will do the trick.

I have young pups, a standard golden doodle and Bernese mountain dog and the both like the blue buffalo large breed puppy food.

We've got a 14 year old GSD. He has never really been that picky, and will generally eat about any food in front of him. But we've had the best luck with Canidae All Life Stages. It seems to be the best for him at maintaining him at a close to ideal weight, not causing stomach issues, etc...

Our Newfoundland isn't overly picky but seems to be happy with th Royal Canin Large Breed which has kept his weight in check.

GSD= German Shepard D--? Daughter's 6 yr old German Shepard , Ella gets dry food. Eggs.? Woo hoo , another grand child to spoil
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Egg and yogurt are effective but picky dogs usually love a little raw green tripe added to their food.

Opinions on dog food are like opinions on oil. So many choices, so many brands.
Do you go high protein, low fat, high kcal, what meat source, are potatoes or beets ok?
I did the high protein, highly recommended foods for a long time. My two dogs would have difficulty going #2, with hard dry waste, great for clean up, not so much for the hounds.
My vet walks the line between holistic and medicine, and says that unless working, the majority of dogs do not need the super high protein foods out now.
We picked a medium protein, medium fat, well balanced ingredient food, and both the Yorkie and the GoldenDoodle are really happy, going regularly and without trouble, and weights are in check.
You may want to look for a food with about 22-25% protein, about 9% fat, and something that is not sprayed with lard to make it tasty for dogs.
Purina, Gentle Giants, and Wellness have really well thought out foods.

Food reviews for what it's worth.

For the last year, we've been making a home-brew of dog foods using home ingredients and some dog food. The dogs are all between 8 and 10 years old consisting of a pit-mix -about 65lbs, a chihuahua mix -about 12lbs and a rat terrier mix -about 22lbs.

The food is equal volumetric parts of cooked oat meal, canned french green beans, canned pumpkin, chicken meat (from Sam's club $5.00 chickens) and some dry dog kibble. Sometimes, we'll add human food scraps of left-over meat (and fat), fish etc. Sometimes the dollar store has cheap brands of tuna-fish, salmon etc so, we'll use that too along with or as a substitute for the chicken. We'll add a little water or unsalted beef or chicken broth to help mix it. It's not a lot of work to do and these ingredients are not expensive. I never actually did a price comparison but, I think this cost less than buying expensive brands of canned dog food. It certainly is better for them and they get to the bottom of the bowl like nobody's business.

The dogs are in excellent health from this diet. They all lost a little weight after 4-5 months even though the portions are good. Our vet is very pleased with their condition when we go for annual shots etc.

Ray

Petey gets picky when it comes to fowl in his food. He prefers red meat but I rotate fish into his diet. Right now we are giving him Victor Grain Free. You may have to try different foods until you find one which works well with your dog. Even if the dog doesn't like the food he will not starve.

I'm not a fan of house brand food because it's usually the absolute lowest tier in terms of quality. However, after doing some research I came to discover that Costco's Kirkland branded dog food is actually quite good. We decided to switch out Pitbull from the pricey name brand to this stuff and there's been no discernible difference in his eating habits. He's kind of picky, but he's always been that way. We've been using this food exclusively for about 18 months now and he's doing great. A very fit and healthy 75lbs and we're saving a TON of cash in the process.

The savings we received by switching brands paid for the yearly membership on the first purchase, no exaggeration. $110 a month versus $34.

be aware although economical MOST kibble aka dry dog food is GARBAGE loaded with soy + gmo corn!!! search + learn!!!

Originally Posted by RamFan
I'm not a fan of house brand food because it's usually the absolute lowest tier in terms of quality. However, after doing some research I came to discover that Costco's Kirkland branded dog food is actually quite good. We decided to switch out Pitbull from the pricey name brand to this stuff and there's been no discernible difference in his eating habits. He's kind of picky, but he's always been that way. We've been using this food exclusively for about 18 months now and he's doing great. A very fit and healthy 75lbs and we're saving a TON of cash in the process.

The savings we received by switching brands paid for the yearly membership on the first purchase, no exaggeration. $110 a month versus $34.

Good advice. Kirkland even offers a grain free kibble which I like to give him. If I can't go this route I will give him a food with rice.

I've been feeding my female German Shepherd the Costco Salmon and Sweet Potato kibble on the advice of the German Shepherd rescue group where I adopted her. I also mix in a bit of Purina Beneful Healthy Weight kibble as she likes the combination. Fortunately she isn't a picky eater so I don't have to do anything special for her.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
What's a GSD?

German Shepherd Dog

I've been around GSDs for most of my adult life. They were never picky eaters, but I did have one who was allergic to chicken. One even had to have her food floated in water to slow her down, else she would eat so fast she'd choke...

I always shopped by ingredients, and avoided grains in general. A puppy you can change food pretty rapidly to see what it likes. Adult dogs need more gradual changes, so now's the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back