US food Aussies find strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so embarrassed! The US should completely change everything it does to appease every other non-US English speaking nation on the planet. Let's all just become 1 amorphous blob of the same preferences because having differences is a massive sin in 2018.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Most Americans find grits strange! I love grits...
... especially when served with red-eye gravy.
Around Philly you can find scrapple, which is almost as strange as haggis.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Most Americans find grits strange! I love grits....preferably with bacon.

Love them with cheese and shrimp.

Must have been a boring day in the news room. Nothing to see here, but a few Aussies who don't like certain foods here. I've been to Australia. There was food there that I didn't care for, but I didn't winge about it like a whiny pome.

Originally Posted by Trav
I find everything on that list horrible, Canadian bacon is great.

We just call it bacon (lol).

Peameal (Canadian) bacon unsliced, drizzle some maple syrup on it, and roast it in the oven for around 2 hours. It's awesome...

IMO Canadian bacon just a smaller version of thinly sliced country ham. UK bacon seems to be physically more similar to US bacon but it's seasoned differently (ie. not smoked sweet). I think the UK term is "streaks of bacon".

As for Aussie's not being fan of grits, I guess they don't like polenta either?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chainblu
Must have been a boring day in the news room. Nothing to see here, but a few Aussies who don't like certain foods here. I've been to Australia. There was food there that I didn't care for, but I didn't winge about it like a whiny pome.

It's called a human interest story not news. Try not to take it too seriously.

My dad liked scrapple. Basically everything left over after cutting meat pressed into a loaf somehow. Think large curd SPAM I guess.

Don't worry Aussies, I don't like 1/2 of those things either.

And the other 1/2? I could do without too.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
What are "grits?"

From the places I have had it in the U.S. the equivalent to sand for breakfast. I don't get it.
lol.gif

Sorry, been travelling for a few days...Virgin Airlines are...well very unlike their name.

As Pablo said about Aussie bacon, "It's Canadian AND American" all in one...however, eating establishments are starting to move towards streaky bacon (bacon and egg McMuffin still has a big eye of bacon in it.

Cheese whiz...a friend was online courting a Marine probably about 17-18 years ago, and were sending "aid packages" back and forth (We did similarly with Gary Allan and his wife).

One of them contained a cheese whiz can, and was impounded pending processing.
Letter stated that she had 2 options
* Pay $90 to have it treated (irradiated).
* Pay $35 to have it destroyed

If no answer received in 28 days they would dispose...she took the third option. As I told her, either of the first was a Contract to pay. Their decision to dispose of it on failure of entering into Contract was not binding on her to pay...customs ultimately agreed.

Looking at the rest...
Yellow cheese - we et Leicester...the "plastic" cheese isn't the colour, it's the way that Macca's cheese "melts" at relatively low temperatures that earned it's fast food name.
Twinkies - yes, they are ooccasionally available (always at Costco and the like), and are a bit over the top for most Aussies.
Starbucks - that's VERY old data...Aussies are flocking to the sweeter coffees full of fat and sugar these days...not the majority, but a mug of black with milk on the side (my preference) is fading quickly. Those of us who enjoy a macchiato are being outnumbered by the young...who instead of beer will have vodka lolly waters (even the blokes).
American bacon - again really old data...it's well and truly on the rise in eateries...I had breakfast at 11:30 (left the motel for a plane at 5:30), in the Blue Mountains, and it was "streaky" bacon.
PBandJ - I had them for school lunches back in the '70s. Jelly is "Jam", and could be strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, or Apricot back in the day (replete with skins and seeds)...now there's more. My kids used to make it occasionally. Peanut Butter and Honey is more common (we have real honey).
Sweet potato casserole - agreed. But there's occasionally sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie around the place..not common.
Grits - Polenta came to Australia from Europe, and you heve been able to buy it dry as meal for ever. Nan cooked it occasionally. for 20 years have been able to buy slabs of it cooked in the pasta section for slicing and BBQing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back