0w30 for the new Caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Agree 100% 30 grade was original spec.

No issue going with the 0w-30 SS year round....probably a one year interval.

50,000km (30K Miles) would be too much for year round interval.
grin2.gif

The SS 0W30 is perfectly fine. I would imagine the rest of the car will fall apart around the engine. The Pentastar engines of later versions are VERY good engines. I have ran an oil grade higher than specd in many engines with good results.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Agree 100% 30 grade was original spec.

No issue going with the 0w-30 SS year round....probably a one year interval.

50,000km (30K Miles) would be too much for year round interval.
grin2.gif

Whups well then, appropriate interval with UOA.
banana2.gif

Welcome to the thick side
lol.gif
shocked2.gif

I was researching 0Wx30 for a while ... then decided to use 5W since it more than meets my cold temp W rating (-22°F)
From my limited research seems like 0Wx30 may have a better base oil and more of natural vii but that's where I stopped and will go back to it when I have more time. Limited research is always dangerous though
grin2.gif

I'd use the 0W-30 year round and not worry about it. I highly doubt you'll notice a difference in fuel economy or cold start differences.

I'm going to break it in on Conventional 5w20 with short change intervals then switch to Amsoil 0w20 for as we are in the cooler temperatures now anyway and then switch it over to the 0w30 maybe in the spring when the temperatures are mild. This way it will have enough miles on it that the break-in is over and I can run comparative UOA's.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I'm going to break it in on Conventional 5w20 with short change intervals then switch to Amsoil 0w20 for as we are in the cooler temperatures now anyway and then switch it over to the 0w30 maybe in the spring when the temperatures are mild. This way it will have enough miles on it that the break-in is over and I can run comparative UOA's.
grin2.gif

Regarding break in, I don't know how you want to do it, hard, normal, easy, I did it hard btw, once the oil was up to temp the EVIS display is great for that, as it shows oil temp and pressure.
In any case, take advantage of the manual mode and do some compression braking very early on.

I usually drive moderately until it hits 100km (not babying it, but not lead footing either, certainly no WOT), then drive moderately for the next 400km until it hits 500km with some fully warmed up WOT's from 3rd gear forward, followed by engine braking so that the rings are worked in both ways. I like using the escarpment up/down for this as it loads the rings well.

This is sort of Terry's advice and I have relied on it with past vehicles and ended up with 0 oil consumption and long lives. Santa Fe was done this way and didn't consume any oil when it died.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
5w30 all the way for our Grand Caravan. I'm thinking on switching to 10w30, since it's not going to see a normal Canadian winter this year.

Are you saying winter is cancelled in Toronto this year? Woohoo!
banana2.gif

The farmers almanac folks seem to think it's going to be cold and brutal when it finally gets here with lots of "Polar Vortex's" the news south of the border can blame us for again.
grin2.gif

That said I had to flip my A/C back on this weekend because it was quite muggy the past couple of days so I'm not sure Winter is ever going to get here Pat.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I usually drive moderately until it hits 100km (not babying it, but not lead footing either, certainly no WOT), then drive moderately for the next 400km until it hits 500km with some fully warmed up WOT's from 3rd gear forward, followed by engine braking so that the rings are worked in both ways. I like using the escarpment up/down for this as it loads the rings well.

This is sort of Terry's advice and I have relied on it with past vehicles and ended up with 0 oil consumption and long lives. Santa Fe was done this way and didn't consume any oil when it died.
grin2.gif

Nice! Did something similar with my Mazda 3 and I was more aggressive with GC, both don't show any change in oil level througout the OCI.

Originally Posted by Patman
5w30 all the way for our Grand Caravan. I'm thinking on switching to 10w30, since it's not going to see a normal Canadian winter this year.

banana2.gif

Don't celebrate yet
lol.gif

I got a work offer south of the border in sunny CA, no winters there. But I notice lots of people from there worry about cold starts, so perhaps I should reconsider my plan to use 10w30.
wink.gif

banana2.gif

Don't celebrate yet
lol.gif

I got a work offer south of the border in sunny CA, no winters there. But I notice lots of people from there worry about cold starts, so perhaps I should reconsider my plan to use 10w30.
wink.gif

LOL Southern Californians start putting on their heavy coats when it gets below 70°F / 21°C...they think they're going to die if it's below 40°F/ 4°C

banana2.gif

Don't celebrate yet
lol.gif

wink.gif

LOL Southern Californians start putting on their heavy coats when it gets below 70°F / 21°C...they think they're going to die if it's below 40°F/ 4°C

Isn't that the truth. A couple of days ago, in the evening the temperature was down to about 68 and a neighbor had their fireplace going! This is after it had been in the mid 80's a few hours earlier.

The farmers almanac folks seem to think it's going to be cold and brutal when it finally gets here with lots of "Polar Vortex's" the news south of the border can blame us for again.
grin2.gif

Forget the Farmer's Almanac, I prefer my weather forecasts from actual experts (which admittedly get it wrong a lot too!) That being said, David Phillips of Enivronment Canada is usually pretty accurate with his seasonal forecasts and he says we're getting a mild winter
smile.gif

https://www.inhalton.com/environment-canada-reveals-winter-weather-forecast

That being said, I'm still going to book a couple of trips to Florida this winter, and am counting down the days to 2022 when we retire and start heading to Florida for the entire winter. I must be part Jamaican, as I shudder at the thought of anything below 60F too.
smile.gif

grin2.gif

Forget the Farmer's Almanac, I prefer my weather forecasts from actual experts (which admittedly get it wrong a lot too!) That being said, David Phillips of Enivronment Canada is usually pretty accurate with his seasonal forecasts and he says we're getting a mild winter
smile.gif

https://www.inhalton.com/environment-canada-reveals-winter-weather-forecast

That being said, I'm still going to book a couple of trips to Florida this winter, and am counting down the days to 2022 when we retire and start heading to Florida for the entire winter. I must be part Jamaican, as I shudder at the thought of anything below 60F too.
smile.gif

LOL... You are a few years ahead of me retiring but let me know when you are done traveling to Florida for the winters, I might be in the market and can make a deal.
grin2.gif

As for forecasters, I will take your word on it because everyone else making predictions always seems to get it wrong. Even a couple days out on the local news. Hahahaha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back