Making fresh green beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the best tasting way to make them? I've actually never made fresh green beans before. I was thinking about just sautéing them in butter in a skillet (the same way I do fresh asparagus). How would this turn out?

If I go the sauté route,do I just let them cook in the butter till slightly browned?

Remove the strings, break them and cook in a little water with a strip or two of fatback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Remove the strings, break them and cook in a little water with a strip or two of fatback.

Yeah, i use bacon grease and put some ham sliced thin in with mine
smile.gif

I usually throw them in a pan with a shallow layer of boiling water, cover for a few minutes to soften, then drain remaining water, add butter, onions, mushrooms garlic. Or any combo.

Originally Posted by Gebo

That's the way I do it.

I only use one strip to make a quart of beans. My wife likes a couple teaspoons of sugar plus the fatback, so if she cooks them she can make them how she wants. I eat them anyway!

Just simmer in a large pot with a big [censored] ham hock and new potatoes. You can thank me later.

14" skillet.
Fry 1/2 point diced up bacon. Doesn't have to be till it is smoking. Don't remove from pan.
Add half an onion and cook till the onion starts to clear.
Fill skillet with green beans.
Fill about half to 3/4 full of depth of beans
Salt with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. She never used kosher salt or fresh ground pepper just regular salt and pepper but I like the way it turns out with it.
Simmer till almost all of the water is gone.

That is as close as I can come to replicating my grandmas green beans. I add a little bit of Worcestershire sauce some times. I don't think she ever added it but it goes well with it.

My favorite meal at her house was salmon patties, potato cakes, green beans, and corn bread cooked in a cast iron skillet or rolls. I wish I could replicate the corn bread. She never used a recipie though. My sister can come close on the corn bread and rolls but it just isn't quite the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dippschtick
Just simmer in a large pot with a big [censored] ham hock and new potatoes. You can thank me later.

X10!

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by dippschtick

X10!

x1000

Or salt pork. Best way to make green beans and potatoes

I ended up just sautéing them in butter till they were browned. Tasted like candy and melted in your mouth!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I ended up just sautéing them in butter till they were browned. Tasted like candy and melted in your mouth!

Long as you shared with KiKi
smile.gif

Saute' in Olive Oil & Garlic. Use salt(I don't) to your own taste & eat'em hot.
Or, put them in the fridge for later with a bit of red wine vinegar(some like fresh squeezed lemon). Eat'em cold.

Last edited:
Cut them on a diagonal, into trapezoidal shaped, about 3/4" along the edge lines.

Boil in water until a lot of the green goes white.

Scoop onto plate near some incipid potato mash, and similarly classy carrots also sliced diagonal and cooked until they resemble hospital food.

Wait, don't do that...that's what made me hate them

All of the above suggestions sound great, and will have to try them

(Salem, the black cat scoops raw beans out of the fridge when it's open, takes them away and hides them to eat later)

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Long as you shared with KiKi
smile.gif

Of course absolutely!! She loves green beans,mushrooms,and asparagus! But of course whenever I'm eating fish or chicken she gets totally out of control and I sometimes have to eat standing up in the kitchen haha
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back