Outside fumes enter cabin on Saab 9-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 months with my 2004 Saab 9-5 wagon. Stage 0 was the first order of business, including cabin air filter. However, when recirculate is selected, I still get fumes from outside air inside the cabin. Was it installed incorrectly by my mechanic, or is this a design flaw in the system?

We've had 3 9-5's in the family. All of 'em allowed a bit of outside air to come in. It's an anti mold & mildew thing.
The Volvos I've had are 100% closed from my experience.
Also, FYI: There's an easy to reach hose on the 2.3l 4 cyl. behind the engine high up so it's quite doable. It can come off the oil drip box and stink to high heaven. Just shove it back on.

Which engine do you have? If it's the 2.3 has PCV modification #6 been done to it? If not it's real easy to do and takes about an hour. There are extra hoses on the right (passenger's side No. America) and one of them T's into the oil filler neck. A new neck is part of the PCV #6 kit.

Good luck with your Saab. They are easy and fun to drive....responsive.

What kind of cabin filter is it? Did you get a filter with carbon/charcoal? Was the filter sealed in a plastic bag when you bought it?

Recric doesn't necessarily filter during recirc mode (although some cars will run the recirculated air thru the filter, not all cars do this)

Did you check to make sure the door and motor for recirculation are even working? They may not be working.

In most cases you can observe their operation with the cabin air filter removed. When you adjust the recirculation you should physically see the door (usually with foam seal) move in and out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back