Microsoft halts Windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plugged an old computer in that I haven't used for a year. Microsoft then began downloading like 80-100 updates, and its been "updating" ever since, about 4 days ago.... pretty slow process. 20 plus restarts later and its still updating. Wow!

We just go done with issues with a couple of updates a few months ago at work. They would cause the computer to restart itself with no warning when connected to anything other the companies WiFi. They still worked off of wired connections. Microsoft blamed it on everything but their updates even though removing their updates fixed it. Odd thing was that it only affected 32 bit systems and one 64 bit computer.

So far my wife was able to "disarm" the Windows 10 forced updates on my laptop. The last forced/automatic Windows 10 update destroyed everything I had on the computer and it was extremely difficult to even return to factory settings to be able to reload all the programs. Hopefully her Windows 10 "disarming" solution still works. I have Windows 7 on my desk top and it's a dream compared to Windows 10. I'm not computer literate so all this stupid aggravation caused by Windows 10 really PO's me. Don't they test the updates out before they force them unwillingly onto the Window 10 users? It doesn't seem that way. After their update mucks up your computer and you aren't computer literate you have to pay someone to correct their FUP .

Whimsey

Originally Posted by csandste
Say after me: "Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux"

90% of the software out there only runs on Windows and a chunk of that won't run on Windows 10 either.

Go to network connections and click the box that says you are running on a metered connection. Thus means you pay per megabyte and they wont automatically update.

I hope MS gets it together by 2023 because that is the end of life for Win 8.1 and I think the EOL for Win 7 is 2020. I really like 8.1 it took some time but it is 100 times better than Win 10.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

90% of the software out there only runs on Windows and a chunk of that won't run on Windows 10 either.

90% of Windows software only runs on Windows. 90% of what you actually need is duplicated in Linux and costs nothing.

I've used Linux plenty, it has it's own set of headaches.

I did a clean install on a laptop, to test the waters for my tower. It gave me a solid day of grief getting it to work right. I had much easier time installing Cinnamon 19 on another test mule.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

90% of Windows software only runs on Windows. 90% of what you actually need is duplicated in Linux and costs nothing.

Most software used in an industrial setting is windows only. Security policies don't like open source software. I have many programs that absolutely will not run on anything other than Windows that are essential to the process.

I am all for alternatives to Windows but it just isn't going to happen in the industrial world.

Last edited:
The round of updates back in April broke bluetooth for all of our deployed Dell and Lenovo laptops. With the round earlier this week our computers can no longer go into "settings" in W10. Can't even successfully disable it via group policy, either.

We have some infrequently used windows 10 laptops. I powered them up on Thursday to send them out on the road (update AV, windows updates) and they updated from 730am to 230pm. I ended up having to deploy our older Windows 7 laptops because they were taking so long to update.

We use web based applications which are pretty client OS agnostic. And now with office 365 and all of the apps being available in a web browser , it is a bit more appealing.

I don't let my computers automatically update. My laptop is months behind schedule and I'm liable to leave it that way, it has 7. My desktop is automatic and I have had no issues, it's 8.

So what happens to people like myself that did a fresh install? I read they are telling people not to install it at all? Will they patch it, or should I do a fresh install again when they get their act together? I have other computers thankfully so I don't have to rely on the laptop I did the installation on.

And folks on here poo-poo'd me when I told them I wasn't deploying 10 in our environment and neither were most healthcare facilities. This is just one of the reasons why. It's a moving target folks, it will continue to break stuff, get broken...etc. The XP -> 7 thing has nothing on this, 10 is one massive never-ending beta test.

It's stuff like this where I rather do a clean install vs updating. Apps and programs breaking after a feature update just forces me to to a clean install vs uninstalling and reinstalling programs. Also backup, backup, backup especially if you have your personal files on the same drive letter as your OS. There are people freaking out over sudden lost personal files after the update.

Last edited:
Is there a brand of computers that these Windows updates will cause less problems? Two older Optiplex 755 and 760 had no problem. Both Core 2 duo. But the HP 6300 pro with a Core i5. That one has not been happy when 10 updates.

I was thinking of buying a new Windows 10 computer when 7 is no longer supported. My thinking is some older hardware will not be supported or play well with 10. We use Windows 10 at work. Mostly Dell computers. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back