Don't eat those dangerous vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the statistics, but you're far more likely to get food poisoning eating a salad at a fast food or sit down restaurant than from meat. Veggies are grown out of cow dung soil...

Agreed...I was simply posting as a counter to the regular "meat will kill you" public service announcements.

It's amazing how safe our modern food system is in terms of injury and death arising from it.

Salads and sprouts seem to be the major issue...and if you happen to be weakened at the point of consumption can be bad mojo.

Couple of things

1. Salads aren't cooked.

This is inherently dangerous, particularly in environments where fields may be fertilized with animal dung, and very particularly in environments where fields may be fertilized with human dung.

This is probably why salads don't feature in a traditional Chinese diet.

2. Vegetables (as opposed to fruit) generally have no evolutionary interest in being eaten, and will go to phytochemical extremes to avoid it.

The edible vegetables we have are a product of long artificial selection for palatability, but it seems doubtful if that selection has eliminated ALL toxins.

I'd bet there are still some lurkers with sub-clinical effects, which havn't been found, because no one has looked hard enough.

1. China and North Korea uses human dung as fertilizer.

2. Only in California where fruits and veggies can give you cancer due to Proposition 65.

As a meat and potato guy, I have known veggies are no good my whole life. Now I can tell my wife, I told you so.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back