I'm going to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided that I'm going to take the loss on my new Highlander and trade it in for something else. I just can't live with this annoying 8-speed transmission with it's jerkiness, harsh up/down shifts at times and the constant identity crisis of what gear it should be in / over reaction to slight pedal pressure changes.

While it's better in the manual mode set to S-8 it's still quite jerky and harsh up/down-shifts intermittently that is really getting under my skin.
What's worse is there are other folks online complaining of the same thing in the Highlander, Sienna that have the same transmission and with the heavy miles I do it concerns me that it will get worse over time and or lead to failure all together. (There have been failures in 2017 models with this transmission)

It did seem a world better when I had switched to Amsoil from the WS fluid but it appears that the adaptive logic has gotten used to the different fluid and well we are right back where we started.

Now because my work pays for my vehicle payment, gas and repairs as part of my compensation package any loss I take won't affect me in the same way that it would who would pay out of pocket so I'm not so concerned in the loss of value being a few months old and no longer brand new.

I think I'm going to go back to my trusted Dodge Grand Caravan with the bulletproof PentaStar 3.6L V6 mated to the Mercedes/Chrysler transmission which is a good pairing and very durable. The 2012 I drove as a fleet vehicle and then bought for my dad is still going with 300K with 0 problems and my father in-law is really happy with his 2 year old one.

I found a loaded 2018 GT trim level on clear out at the dealer I dealt with in the past for my Journey and it has really good discounts due to the clearout. My payment will decrease by $200/month and I will take a year off the repayment term with this change.

I will miss the huge moon roof in the Highlander but I can live with out that being able to sleep at night the transmission isn't going to suffer an early death and then I have to fight to get it replaced and be without a vehicle while this all takes place because I use it for work and accumulate heavy miles.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Now I'm off to enjoy my Thanksgiving weekend and test drive the new van tomorrow at the dealership. (They are open)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
So the grass isn't greener over on the Toyota lawn?

Never said it was...
wink.gif

All the threads I talked about it being on the lot after the accident with the Journey, fit my needs, was the right price, and the dealer was close to my house so I bought it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

Never said it was...
wink.gif

Can I have some fun? We have enough FCA bash threads, I need one win
grin2.gif

Ok...
cheers3.gif

FCA does have a lot of problems... The Caravan along with a few other models are proven to be excellent vehicles though and it's the only reason I would go back to them after the less than great experience with my Journey.

I also need something with a lot of cargo space so I would need a Mid-sized or large SUV or a Van.

Last edited:
How about keeping the Highlander as a work beater and pick up a Charger/Challenger as a fun car?

LOL, no I would rather a classic which is what I have been putting money away for, just haven't purchased yet.

Last edited:
Off topic: With your experience driving Grand Caravans:

My grandma's 14' Grand Carvan drives really aggressively in normal mode. When I've driven it, I've got to put it in "Eco" mode to get it to drive normally. One example is when passing on the freeway and giving it a normal amount of gas to pass someone, it drops down several gears and screams! Takes off like a racecar too. In Eco mode it drive about like I'd expect.

Have you experienced this?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Off topic: With your experience driving Grand Caravans:

My grandma's 14' Grand Carvan drives really aggressively in normal mode. When I've driven it, I've got to put it in "Eco" mode to get it to drive normally. One example is when passing on the freeway and giving it a normal amount of gas to pass someone, it drops down several gears and screams! Takes off like a racecar too. In Eco mode it drive about like I'd expect.

Have you experienced this?

I think this is an FCA trait. I've rented Grand Caravans and they're ready to roast the tires if you feather the throttle. My Challenger is the same, eco tames it too much to the point it locks out first gear
mad.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
LOL, no I would rather a classic which is what I have been putting money away for, just haven't purchased yet.

No need to LOL, just offering alternatives to these FWD family sleds you seem to be attracted to for some unknown reason and then are never happy with.

8 gears is a lot for a street car or 4wd, guess the engineers are looking at gas mileage to lure in the customers. If one is not pulling heavy load all the time, the normal street driving seems to be over kill IMHO.

StevieC
Have you checked with the Ford dealerships in your area? You had asked questions about the Ford Edge in an earlier thread. I saw some confusing specs on the Ford.Ca website. It does show the 3.5l V-6 as an option in the 2018 Edge SEL and Edge Titanium. You had pretty good service out of a Dodge Caravan. Have you thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango?

no new car or any another car for that matter will make you happier; focus your energy elsewhere dude
GL

Originally Posted by edwardh1
8 speeds why not 10 or 12
where does the madness end?
There are 10 speed transmissions out there now.

As for the 8-speed, the one made by ZF is actually pretty good, but that's not what Toyota uses.

LOL

I think the 8 speed ZF is the way to go. I'd swap the Toyota for a Jeep GC.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

LOL

I think the 8 speed ZF is the way to go. I'd swap the Toyota for a Jeep GC.
wink.gif

I was thinking the same, but it may not have adequate cargo volume if that's a concern here, which it seems to be. Durango is a bit bigger
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back