Class action suit filed against Amalie oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully any judge would laugh this case out of court and hold the plaintiff in contempt for wasting the court's time
crackmeup2.gif

Their complaint says:
Despite the fact that it should not be used in automotive engines, Defendant continues to sell the Product, using product packaging conveying the impression that the Product is meant to be used in modern passenger car automotive engines.

But the back of the label on the bottle literally says:
-Recommended for older cars where a minimum amount of additive is required
-API Service SA

Some people are just stupid and don't read labels or their owner's manuals.

Survival of the fittest / Natural Selection.

I don't see the product being misrepresented. While it has little use today, it seems appropriately labeled.

Some of these junk oil sellers are at least decent enough to attach years to older vehicles …

Now in case you want a 5-30 instead of 5w30

90AC2F75-C6F0-4A95-8360-B1EAFAE71978.png

Last edited:
I agree with the lawsuit. The vast majority of consumers do not know the difference. Also, when does a multiweight oil only meet SA standards ? This stuff is only suitable for drill bit cutting oil.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I agree with the lawsuit. The vast majority of consumers do not know the difference. Also, when does a multiweight oil only meet SA standards ? This stuff is only suitable for drill bit cutting oil.

I hate to admit, but I agree with this. As much as I like pooping on idiots...

Who in the heck are you marketing this stuff to? The very few or the vast majority of know-nothings?

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Who in the heck are you marketing this stuff to? The very few or the vast majority of know-nothings?

People buying on price, living pay check to pay check, or not very well educated. There are more people I meet these days that don't speak or understand English. It looks like the good stuff. The Devil is in the details.

If people are buying on price, living paycheck to paycheck, or not very well educated, they should not be changing their own oil. Take it to Suckmart or Iffy Lube, pay the minimum price, and run the OCI twice as long as recommended. OR, take responsibility for your life and possessions and heed the frickin saying, "Caveat emptor".

Somebody, somewhere, has a need for this oil. If it wasn't selling, Amalie wouldn't be marketing it.

Straight from the API web page:
Originally Posted by API
For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category. If an automotive owner's manual calls for an API SJ or SL oil, an API SN oil will provide full protection.
See the reference here

Also from the same API web page:
Originally Posted by API
SA Obsolete CAUTION: Contains no additives. Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1930. Use in modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
See the reference also here.

So, per API, the current categories are backward compatible, but obsolete categories are just that, obsolete.
There is no reason fro Amalie to sell SA motor oil.

None.

There is a high chance for consumer confusion that would result in damage to personal property.
Shame on Amalie for doing this.
There is no need or justification.
Caveat emptor, yes, but there is also a reasonable expectation that a company not sell a product that can be easily mistaken for something acceptable.
Especially when catastrophic damage will likely result.

Sue their hienies off!!!

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN

People buying on price, living pay check to pay check, or not very well educated. There are more people I meet these days that don't speak or understand English. It looks like the good stuff. The Devil is in the details.

Kind of made my point for me.

+2 and deceptive labeling. 90% of the public does not understand what the API terms mean, and since the numbers and label is so close, it is misleading to consumers.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Straight from the API web page:
Originally Posted by API
For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category. If an automotive owner's manual calls for an API SJ or SL oil, an API SN oil will provide full protection.

Imp, I think this is the first time I have had something truly against what you've posted. Go ahead and read the quote you put again, this time with an objective view instead of a bloodthirsty one. "If a(n) ...manual calls for API SJ or SL, an API SN oil will provide full protection." Well, this only covers cars from 2001 or so. The bottle is clearly marked SA, along with the EXACT wording on the API's website about its unsuitability for cars after 1930. There's no deceptive marketing; it's marked in at least two different places that it is API SA. Do I agree it probably has no place being sold? Absolutely. Do I think there is any merit to suing the company for deceptive practices? Absolutely not.

Torts are for INTENTIONAL acts of deception. Just because the plaintiffs cannot read or comprehend warnings does not mean the company is liable for their stupidity. He got exactly what he chose off the shelf, and paid for. Also, the plaintiff has not proven he suffered any actual damages outside of his own inability to use his brain. This will get thrown out, and yes, MAYBE AOC will pull this oil from the market, but I don't see any way AOC ends up settling or losing this lawsuit. And then there's this:

Without a class action, Class Members will continue to suffer damages

Then the lawyers are admitting that you can't fix stupid, and unless you give the stupids a big paycheck, they'll continue to do stupid things. IMHO, if you do stupid things of your own accord, you have consequences you need to resolve, not at somebody else's expense. Stop buying SA oils, and the production disappears.

My wife has no interest in motor oil and does not understand my interest … but trust me she is not stupid and you'd not fair well to patronize her ...

This debate gives rise to the fact people have hundreds of other issues to juggle … single moms, elderly on fixed income, boomerang kids, guys mowing lawns for low wages etc … and things like this are only on the market to take advantage of such people …

If that's not the case … please tell what it's out there for …

If I walk into a QT or Sheetz and pick up a bottle of water in the cooler, I expect it to be fit for human consumption. Same goes for motor oil, selling used oil for a 1930 model year car is no different than selling bottled toilet water along side Fiji and Aquafina.

Originally Posted by dishdude
If I walk into a QT or Sheetz and pick up a bottle of water in the cooler, I expect it to be fit for human consumption. Same goes for motor oil, selling used oil for a 1930 model year car is no different than selling bottled toilet water along side Fiji and Aquafina.

Great post here by dishdude ^^^^^.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

+2 and deceptive labeling. 90% of the public does not understand what the API terms mean, and since the numbers and label is so close, it is misleading to consumers.

They literally state on the bottle not for use in vehicles past 1930.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The entire back of the label is a lie! Are any of these statements true? I see recommended for older cars and I think a 2002 not a 1930.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back